PDA

View Full Version : Bike in a mini?

mini_sco
18th May 2009, 01:20 PM
Has anyone fitted a mountain bike in the back of their mini? Getting a bike and dont really want to get a rack?

Just wondering if any of u guys can help?

Ta:thumbs up:

Ivano
18th May 2009, 01:33 PM
Has anyone fitted a mountain bike in the back of their mini? Getting a bike and dont really want to get a rack?

Just wondering if any of u guys can help?

Ta:thumbs up:

My Sister got one in the back of her MINI with seats down and front wheel of the Mountain Bike detached. It was a Ladies bike right enough.

euan
18th May 2009, 01:41 PM
I had my mountain bike in mine a few times - you need to take at least the front wheel off, and depending on the bike, you may need the rear off too. I found it easier to just take both off to be honest as it's much easier to shove it in :-)

mini_sco
18th May 2009, 01:41 PM
Well im a girl, but im getting a small mens bike,, so prob similar size.. thanks for info!!

Ivano
18th May 2009, 02:03 PM
Well im a girl, but im getting a small mens bike,, so prob similar size.. thanks for info!!

Sorry...

You will be fine then :thumbs up:

Gismo
18th May 2009, 02:24 PM
I used to put my saracen in my MINI, front seats forward and the passenger one tilted forward.
A few scuffs on the plastics, but, that don't worry me :Whistle:

Big Gordy
18th May 2009, 02:50 PM

Slightly:off topic: but what size / make MTB you going for..?? Reason I ask is I may have a fully suspended Marin for sale soon:Whistle:

mini_sco
18th May 2009, 06:30 PM
Im going for a 15" Hardrock Pro, i think??

Smitty
18th May 2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah - you can fit it in no problem. Best tact is to take both wheels off, and seat post and pull the passenger seat as far forward as you can.

Put the frame in first, then wheels on top, then push the passenger seat back if you require it.

Just make sure you put down a dust sheet or something to stop it scratching the plastic's

Job done :thumbs up:

I really want a roof rack to make life easier though, but don't want to drill my roof :frown:

The Dogfather
18th May 2009, 07:04 PM
Buy a bike bag, saves scratching the paint work on the car or the bike.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk//images/products/11445bikebag_xl.jpg

MrMischief
18th May 2009, 07:07 PM
If you don't want to drill the roof, there's always rear-mounted bike racks like these :

http://www.car-roofracks.co.uk/cgi-bin/select-bike-rack-cycle-carrier.cgi

Big Gordy
18th May 2009, 08:48 PM
Im going for a 15" Hardrock Pro, i think??

Ahhhh....a Specialized:thumbs up: The one I have will probably be too big for you....its a 17.5":cool:

euan
19th May 2009, 09:13 AM
Ahhhh....a Specialized:thumbs up: The one I have will probably be too big for you....its a 17.5":cool:

Blimey, popular bike! I have a Hardrock Pro too - got it a couple of years ago in London and use it on the canal paths now when the road bike is out of duty. Completely pain free ownership! Though i think it now comes with disk brakes, which I could have done with a few times!

mini_sco
19th May 2009, 01:46 PM
Blimey, popular bike! I have a Hardrock Pro too - got it a couple of years ago in London and use it on the canal paths now when the road bike is out of duty. Completely pain free ownership! Though i think it now comes with disk brakes, which I could have done with a few times!

Yeah goin for the Disc version!
Thanks guys!! :thumbs up:

euan
19th May 2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah goin for the Disc version!
Thanks guys!! :thumbs up:

Just make sure it's setup properly - mine was so badly setup I had to re-do it all.

Big Gordy
19th May 2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah what Euan says:yes nod:
I had a mate who's first run on his first bike ended up with 2 broken wrists:eek::eek::eek: all because his brakes were set up wrong:frown: First time he went to use them they bit straight into the rim and pitched him over the bars head first:argh: Wasn't funny at the time but when he told me his missus had to wipe his backside for him for the first week I nearly ended myself laughing:laugh::thud::lol: I went round with a 6 pack of :beer:to cheer him up and took a straw with me so he could drink them :Whistle:

Big Gordy
19th May 2009, 04:24 PM
I should point out his were NOT discs:rolleyes: which to be honest are less likely to pitch you over the bars even if set up badly:smilewinkgrin:

Burple
19th May 2009, 04:34 PM
I should point out his were NOT discs:rolleyes: which to be honest are less likely to pitch you over the bars even if set up badly:smilewinkgrin:

Totally.. Mine has discs.. best brakes I've ever had on a bike! :thumbs up::cool:

Knox18
19th May 2009, 04:44 PM
my friend has hope 6 pots on the front of his mtb :smilewinkgrin: total overkill!!!!

effortless 1 finger braking tho!