PDA

View Full Version : Seized Torx Screw

Mo
18th May 2009, 09:22 AM
Hi folks,

Got a full set of discs & pads to fit to Smurf for Vaila but having a little trouble as per the title.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove the torx screw holding the front discs on.

Spent most of yesterday trying to remove it on Smurf using impact driver, heat & WD40 but to no avail. Its been in there for 4 years and doesnt want to move.:ragin::argh:

Thanks,

Andrew

Gismo
18th May 2009, 10:10 AM
Sounds drastic i know, but, it only holds the disk in place, so, remove the calipers and then simply batter off the old disk from inside to out, it will simply tear off the head off the torx.
Or, for a more professional approach, drill off the head with a suitably size drill.

First way leaves some steel to grab a hold of when the disk is off to allow mole grips to take a hold

GCA3N
18th May 2009, 11:06 AM
what gismo said was spot on, i had the same issue, i used an impact driver, it worked well, when you hit the head it turns at the base. It tore two of the heads off, but it does not matter it is the wheel bolts that hold it in place when the wheel is put back on.

Gismo
18th May 2009, 12:43 PM
Then, once you have the disk off you can get a centre dab onto the remaining metal of the screw and use the centre dab to attempt to move the screw in an anti clockwise direction :thumbs up:Or, even drill a wee hole and use an easy out to extract the screw.

All in it should take a couple of hits with the hammer to get the disk off

Mo
18th May 2009, 01:43 PM
Cheers guys, you've just confirmed what I thought, that I'm not the first to come across this and they are a :ragin: to remove.

I'm not to keen to force the disc over them but can understand the theory in it and it may come to that.

If anyone else has any help please continue to post.

GCA3N
18th May 2009, 08:45 PM
Cheers guys, you've just confirmed what I thought, that I'm not the first to come across this and they are a :ragin: to remove.

I'm not to keen to force the disc over them but can understand the theory in it and it may come to that.

If anyone else has any help please continue to post.

The only other option is to heat the torx head, that might aid removing it

Mo
20th May 2009, 01:06 AM
Well just to update this post. Thank goodness for Dad's.

After discussing this with Vaila's dad I headed over to his place today and with the use of a handy impact airgun we managed to remove 3 of the studs with some "gentle":rolleyes: persuation and frequent reversing the guns direction.

The 4th stud decided to tear the head off but again after drilling, heating with oxy/acetylene, failing with the easy out, eventually careful cutting with the hacksaw blade through the hole we had drilled and gently hammering away from the thread, we managed to get this one out.

Looks like all these screws were put in dry initially. They are now liberally coated in good ole coppa slip.

Andrew

Morri7
22nd May 2009, 09:18 PM
Copper slip is the way forward!:smilewinkgrin: Glad you got it sorted.

Craig
22nd May 2009, 09:43 PM
well done andrew - persiverance pays off... :thumbs up:

Mo
22nd May 2009, 09:49 PM
And a "ahem" few years experience of engineering.;)

Smurf
27th May 2009, 08:12 AM
My Dad's awesome, but then I'm biased! :yes nod:

All we need to do now is actually change the brake discs and pads now!! :D

GCA3N
27th May 2009, 08:24 AM
My Dad's awesome, but then I'm biased! :yes nod:

All we need to do now is actually change the brake discs and pads now!! :D

Aw is'nt that nice, ;)

I'm jealous I have'nt seen my day for 16 years.Poor me:frown: