PDA

View Full Version : Unichip

V3 NGS
15th May 2009, 05:33 PM
Has anyone had or fitted a unichip to there mini cooper s.... This is my next stage does it make a diffrence??? What are your thoughts on the subject???

.... Does anyone have one kicking about that they would like to sell or have a part number so i could look on fleabay

cheers

Gismo
16th May 2009, 05:16 AM
Never had one, but, given your mods i would advise getting a live map suited to your mods, i expect a unichip to simply be mapped for general use

leeg87
17th May 2009, 12:33 PM
^^ +1, given your mods a live map would definately be more benefitial over a generic one. There are a couple companies in the states (mynes & RMW) that are now offering remote tuning software. 1320 are a well respected company down in bedford. See your in phd, next time im through if I see you I'll give you a flash

AndyP & Lenore
17th May 2009, 03:02 PM
We had one fitted to our last Cooper S and had it lived mapped by Dastek at Dalgetty Bay, we loved it, it was super quick.:thumbs up:

The mods we had on the car were - reduced supercharges pulley, playmini catback exhaust and JCW air filter.

V3 NGS
22nd May 2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the reply... I have made an appointment with Wallace performance in Aberdeen they are approved unichip suppliers up this way; it is not to badly priced as well.... only thing is, does anyone know what the max horse power you can put through a standard clutch? I have had the clutch and flywheel replaced about 10000 miles ago... The repair was carried out due to a fault with the car by the dealer and would not fit a competition one as they wouldn’t guarantee it ...

leeg87
22nd May 2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the reply... I have made an appointment with Wallace performance in Aberdeen they are approved unichip suppliers up this way; it is not to badly priced as well.... only thing is, does anyone know what the max horse power you can put through a standard clutch? I have had the clutch and flywheel replaced about 10000 miles ago... The repair was carried out due to a fault with the car by the dealer and would not fit a competition one as they wouldn’t guarantee it ...

Providing you dont do burn-outs / drag launches every time you set off then the stock clutch can take alot of abuse. I run a stock clutch and have 260+bhp, 'Bigshow' had 282bhp and his stock clutch lasted him 26,000miles at that power level, or 60(ish) thousand total. Do you know how much power you have now?

Good luck with the wallace guys - I'm going through there in the next couple weeks to get a RR before the next mod goes on :)

Gismo
23rd May 2009, 03:19 AM
I'm on a standard clutch with an alleged 300bhp

lowrider
23rd May 2009, 02:07 PM
I'm looking into a remap and found these guys

clicky
http://www.power-tune.net/index2.htm

Is a live map when the company plug into your ecu and modify via a laptop, making it specific to your car? I have a CAI and playmini exhaust and want to make the best gains with these modifications taken into consideration.(Don't mean to hijack your thread,I was going to post the same question)
:thumbs up:

leeg87
23rd May 2009, 03:23 PM
I'm looking into a remap and found these guys

clicky
http://www.power-tune.net/index2.htm

Is a live map when the company plug into your ecu and modify via a laptop, making it specific to your car? I have a CAI and playmini exhaust and want to make the best gains with these modifications taken into consideration.(Don't mean to hijack your thread,I was going to post the same question)
:thumbs up:

you cannot 'live map' the siemens ecu in the mini as such, you can however, upload a 'customised' file into the ecu and take things from there, test it, tweek the map again, then install it into the ecu again, test. etc. you cannot plug a laptop into the OBDII port and adjust things on the go.

V3 NGS, out of curiosity, how much are wallace charging for the service? pm me if necessary

lowrider
23rd May 2009, 04:15 PM
Never had one, but, given your mods i would advise getting a live map suited to your mods, i expect a unichip to simply be mapped for general use

So what is available in regards tuning that takes into consideration modifications? The unichip does not seem to account for mods.I had been considering a Bluefin for my cooper but I am starting to think it would be a waste of money

V3 NGS
23rd May 2009, 07:45 PM
So what is available in regards tuning that takes into consideration modifications? The unichip does not seem to account for mods.I had been considering a Bluefin for my cooper but I am starting to think it would be a waste of money

IMO the blue fin is not worth the money as you only get a small gain on the cooper and worse on the "S" 3 HP on the S is not worth £299 :Whistle:. The price i have been quoted is £595 thats for the unichip and setting it up on the rolling road. :thumbs up::thumbs up:Not to bad i think????

I have started getting a flat spot and rough idle, over the last few days wondering if i have an air leak somewhere???? the ecu does sort the problem out by increasing the rpm slightly, but it is getting worse, anyone else had this??? wondering if it could be the sprint booster. No codes and the engine management light does not come on, any thoughts ?????

lowrider
23rd May 2009, 08:32 PM
Bluefin down to £234. What appealed to me was the torque increase. I was put off by the reviews which said that the noticable difference is only felt at 4k rpm.
I am looking for increase lower down the rev range!

leeg87
24th May 2009, 12:59 PM
IMO the blue fin is not worth the money as you only get a small gain on the cooper and worse on the "S" 3 HP on the S is not worth £299 :Whistle:. The price i have been quoted is £595 thats for the unichip and setting it up on the rolling road. :thumbs up::thumbs up:Not to bad i think????

I have started getting a flat spot and rough idle, over the last few days wondering if i have an air leak somewhere???? the ecu does sort the problem out by increasing the rpm slightly, but it is getting worse, anyone else had this??? wondering if it could be the sprint booster. No codes and the engine management light does not come on, any thoughts ?????

Thats a fair price yes, really interested to see how wallace get on with it, I've not heard of any other 's's being mapped by them. I paid £299 for my map set up on the rolling road down at 1320, even with the cost of a B&B + fuel etc it would still work out cheaper, just a bit more of a ball ache due to the long drive.

Keep us posted on how you get on :)

RE the rough idle / flat spot, could be a heap of things, check your by pass valve / spark plugs