PDA

View Full Version : Fitting new manifold, Difficult?

S7JGW
15th May 2009, 12:47 PM
After recently fitting the Playmini Cat back syetem on the S, was really impressed with it. But now the precat is burst in my manifold.:argh::argh:
I have a playmini manifold and sports cat on order should be here soon, and was wondering how big a job it is to fit. One local garage i have spoken to says that the subframe need to be dropped to get the end of the manifold out and was quoting 4 hrs to do the job. I have read on MINI2 after doing some searches, that it is possible to remove the manifold if you take off the head sheild.
Anyone ever changed the manifold themselves? If so how long should it take and how did you get it out.
Cheers for any help
Jim

stoney
15th May 2009, 03:59 PM
mine got done in about 2 hours but i did not fit it

leeg87
15th May 2009, 05:07 PM
you DONT have to drop the sub frame, I did mine using high lift axle stands and it took about 90 mins tops. In reality though it took a day as a couple of the manifold bolts sheared into the head so had to bugger about with that / order new bolts for a while.

My advice is to use a penetrating spray for about a week before doing the job and spray the bolts... might save you a bit of ball ache

leeg87
15th May 2009, 05:08 PM
p.s. its easier with another person to grab the new manifold

S7JGW
15th May 2009, 05:51 PM
Cheers for the reply, did you have you have to remove any heat sheilds or anything to get the manifold out / new one in?
Not too worried about the bolts as a garage had them off the other week cause i got a new flexi put in it but now its leaking further down and decided ide be as well gettin a new manifold cause il just need another bit soon, must be that age. :argh:
Cheers
Jim

MrMischief
15th May 2009, 06:48 PM
I take off the manifold heat shield at every oil change to get better access to the filter canister, you'll definitely need to take that off to remove the manifold, and it's very straight forward...3 bolts I think. It looks like there's plenty room to get it out once it's disconnected too, much easier than removing the cat on my GT4 :thumbs up:

Looks like a 2 hour job max, have fun :D

Crombers
16th May 2009, 10:55 PM
I have a playmini manifold and sports cat on order

I thought they had discontinued these as I have just fitted Elfman's system to my Coop & i had emailed Playmini direct for a few pointers & during discussions they had said that the manifold had been discontinued due to lack of sales.

As for fitting, any 'indy' can do this no probs for about £60 & the subframe bit is utter 'pash'. All that is needed is a ramp & your in. Let me know how you get on as I have researched this a lot of late & may have a few pointers for you especially if 'tinkerbell' appears on your dash :thumbs up:

leeg87
17th May 2009, 12:35 PM
Yes the heat shield had to be removed, and with the Janspeed manifold it cant be put back in without modifying it to clear the new mani

josh_r53
17th May 2009, 04:23 PM
theres a how to on NAM

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/5403-header-install-how-to.html

S7JGW
19th May 2009, 12:13 PM
Cheers for the replys lads, getting it fitted at the moment, just put it into a garage because it didnt arrive before the weekend so havnt got time or anyone to help fitted, cant wait to get it home now.

Crombers: Ive got mine from Mini Speed havent seen them nowhere else, il just have to wait and see if the EML light comes on or no.

Josh_R53: Cheers for the link to NAM lots of good info there with how tos never found that section before be good reading for some mods to come lol.
Jim

Crombers
19th May 2009, 09:33 PM
Crombers: Ive got mine from Mini Speed havent seen them nowhere else, il just have to wait and see if the EML light comes on or no.

It hopefully wont be the EML light that'll come on as that means trouble in a totally different area. What you will (maybe) get is the emissions light (outline of an engine) which is the most common 'flag' when you fit a performance manifold. When I get a chance I will re post an excellent article from Roland @ GTT re fitting performance manifolds & what to do re fault codes etc etc. Needless to say I have now removed my post sensor as per his advice and all (at present) works as planned :yes nod: