PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari and F1 2010

Stewart
12th May 2009, 05:18 PM
Whats all this Ferrari bailing out F1 next season. Is that not just the worst case of the old rattle out the pram………………. We cant win so we are not playing anymore

.........:D

euan
12th May 2009, 05:38 PM
Nah, it's all political. Max "The spanker" Moseley wants to bring in new rules for next season with a budget cap, and Ferrari, who have the biggest budget, don't like it.

Smitty
12th May 2009, 05:59 PM
Hope they keep their toys in the pram and stay around to play.....

.....because its hilarious watching them being so bad :D :laugh:

zimbo
13th May 2009, 09:26 AM
Yup just seen that Ferrari are refusing to enter F1 for next year onwards if a cap is put on spending which is being proposed at £40m, which In my book means it will make the racing so much more exciting because it will now be even more closely matched performance and competition wise during the actual races.

But because Ferrari are doing rubbish so far are and are being beaten regularly they are finding any excuse to not race and now because of this proposed spending cap from next year on means Ferrari with there unlimited financial support will not get anymore of an advantage than any other team will have, so they are basically getting sour grapes...

Ferrari in my honest opinion need to get the poker out their ass and stop whinging and get on with it or just do us all a favour and leave!!!

It all boils down to the fact that they are just BAD LOSERS!! :moonie:

I for one will not miss them if they go :thumbs up:

zimbo
13th May 2009, 09:30 AM
DOH!!! I have just posted about this very thing in the OFF TOPIC thread. Sorry.

Ferrari :moonie:

euan
13th May 2009, 09:53 AM
It's all political though, trying to force Max out, while Max is trying to divide FOTA by getting Ferrari to say they don't want the budget cap and the small teams (Brawn) who do.

What will be more interesting is how Bernie deals with this. Ferrari don't need F1, the FIA don't need Ferrari, but Bernie does. Could be fun ahead!

Crombers
13th May 2009, 10:10 AM
Thought this was an interesting point :

All those saying goodbye to Ferrari need to realize the only way that the smaller teams get to compete is by buying engines and technology from the bigger teams like Ferrari, Mclaren, Williams at a fraction of the price that it cost to develop. If you stop the top teams from developing you stop the sport as a whole from moving forward.

So where are the smaller 'brand' teams gonna get their engines from if you remove some of the big guns?

Another one that interested me :

The news today, that Ferrari may pull out of F1 if the intended budget cap goes ahead, is absolutely no surprise to me, and I believe they are absolutely right to fight for their rights to spend whatever they like in their quest for the excellence their brand demands.

McLaren and Ferrari have already been handicapped this season with the new rules, which effectively limits their ability to compete at their potential, and the 40m cap takes this even further. They have also been penalised this year for competing for the championship last year, since they could not for example focus an equivalent amount of energy on this years rule changes. What's the point of having a race that Brawn started mid way through last year, and teams like Ferrari started pre-season?

Of course all teams have to compete within the same rules, but the richest teams and most successful team are being penalised to a greater extent when you consider rule changes like the cap versus their potential spend.

If for example we denied Manchester United, Chelsea & Liverpool the ability to pay their players what they wanted, banned them from training throughout the season, cut their ground size or stopped them use their expensive state of the art facilities to keep their athletes in perfect condition, then this would make things more even with teams like Hull, but this just means the level of the competition drops to the lowest denominator. If you change the rules in football enough and cap spending enough then Hull would be just as likely to compete for the title as Liverpool, but would it be a title worth winning?

I personally think this years constructor and driver championships are relatively meaningless. Isn't it strange that the best drivers are competing in some of the poorest performing cars? Doesn't this highlight how artificial the competition has become?

Not all constructors started from the same grid in Melbourne, and Brawn for one were operating within a set of rules most other teams thought were illegal (diffuser). I don't blame them and it was great foresight, but their head start was so significant, and their car so far ahead of the others then it's hardly any great shakes to be winning both championships, particularly the drivers title. In fact this years competition is so biased I am not even happy a British driver, who I used to enjoy watching, is now driving away with the championship. I'm getting much more joy, and I must say frustration, seeing one of the best drivers in FI, Lewis Hamilton, fighting with an obviously poor car, and expect more of the same as future rule changes come into effect, and take a long time to settle down.

This is why Ferrari are thinking what is the point, this is why Ferrari are thinking why make our great brand look mediocre, why make us drive slower than we could if we were allowed to operate to our potential, and this is why elite brand constructors such as McLaren could follow them out.

I want to see people competing to their maximum, the best drivers competing in the quickest cars, and if everyone does that then the best team and person will win and the titles will mean something.

These rules are going so far that the FIA might as well give all teams the same car and just have a drivers championship.

Good luck Ferrari

Crombers
13th May 2009, 10:27 AM
Well they ain't the only one's cos Toyota ain't happy either :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8042267.stm

& would you believe it the drivers have had something to say as well :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8039037.stm

Without Ferrari there will not be F1. It's all very well saying Ferrari are in a huff but remember this was a team who did not win a championship for 21 years (1979 - 2000), but i'll bet you they still spent a forune in development during that time that other teams learned from. Take away the pioneering teams and you are left with nothing short of 'average'

Where are the smaller 'brand' teams gonna get their engines from if some of the big guns exit 'stage left'?

So if Ferrari, McLaren & Toyota "throw their toys out of the pram", I for one will not be following a sport that will become 'mediocre'

Crombers
13th May 2009, 10:35 AM
Also interesting :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8040312.stm

illegalhunter
13th May 2009, 10:47 AM
The championship will be devalued without them.

euan
13th May 2009, 01:02 PM

All those saying goodbye to Ferrari need to realize the only way that the smaller teams get to compete is by buying engines and technology from the bigger teams like Ferrari, Mclaren, Williams at a fraction of the price that it cost to develop. If you stop the top teams from developing you stop the sport as a whole from moving forward.

So where are the smaller 'brand' teams gonna get their engines from if you remove some of the big guns?

Ferrari only supply Toro Rosso these after Force India moved to Mercedes, so losing them as an engine supplier wouldn't hurt that much. You'd be more likely to see someone like Cosworth come back in.

euan
13th May 2009, 01:10 PM

This is why Ferrari are thinking what is the point, this is why Ferrari are thinking why make our great brand look mediocre, why make us drive slower than we could if we were allowed to operate to our potential, and this is why elite brand constructors such as McLaren could follow them out.

I want to see people competing to their maximum, the best drivers competing in the quickest cars, and if everyone does that then the best team and person will win and the titles will mean something.

These rules are going so far that the FIA might as well give all teams the same car and just have a drivers championship.

Good luck Ferrari

I think that is a very interesting article - where's it from? i think that it's definitely one perspective. Personally, I like the championship being thrown about a bit, it's much more fun seeing how long the ice man takes to blow his cool in a race, and it'll maybe teach Lewis to look after his tyres a bit better in the long run as he has a very aggressive style that is hard on tyres (how many times have you seen him ruin a set of tyres?). So I'm all in favour as it's been awesome seeing the cars sliding about again. Once the big teams sort out their issues I'm still not convinced they'll be that much faster than the Red Bull and the Brawn, especially if they ever fit KERS to that Red Bull, Vettel would have blatted blast Massa on Sunday had he had it. But if I was Ferrari I'd not be that happy seeing my car so far down the grid because the FIA changed the rules, again.

So who'll win? Luca or Spanky? My money is that Spanky will be out of there in the next year once Bernie get's involved.

minimad
13th May 2009, 01:28 PM
good points there boys and i for one will not be watching or attending any f1 next year if ferrari pullout then again there wont be formula one if they pull out because you all know FERRARI is formula one .....:cool:i rest my case:thumbs up:

euan
13th May 2009, 05:14 PM
good points there boys and i for one will not be watching or attending any f1 next year if ferrari pullout then again there wont be formula one if they pull out because you all know FERRARI is formula one .....:cool:i rest my case:thumbs up:

Well, wouldn't go that far :D but according some of the marketing stuff for F1, a third of fans that go to a GP are there to see Ferrari.

This just isn't going to happen next year. The usual formula seems to be:

Spanky makes some extreme judgement on what needs to happen.
Uproar, threat of legal and teams leaving
Bernie makes some ill-judged comments
Spanky decides to soften his approach (fnar fnar) and then the teams agree to stay and continue

Still, wouldn't be F1 without the politics...

I'd intrigued where they would go though. Can you imagine them all rocking up for Le Mans instead?

Mini Ecosse
13th May 2009, 05:16 PM
Now Renault threating to withdraw from F1 unless capping introduced.

mini saltire
13th May 2009, 05:50 PM
F1 needs a good shake of the tree, the spending is criminal. Ferrari should go for Le Mans 24hrs to prove their reliability issues, everyone knows they build fast cars but can they build an Audi slayer..I think probably not.

minimad
13th May 2009, 09:46 PM
F1 needs a good shake of the tree, the spending is criminal. Ferrari should go for Le Mans 24hrs to prove their reliability issues, everyone knows they build fast cars but can they build an Audi slayer..I think probably not.:D:D:D:D:hand::D:confused::D

minimad
13th May 2009, 09:48 PM
Well, wouldn't go that far :D but according some of the marketing stuff for F1, a third of fans that go to a GP are there to see Ferrari.

This just isn't going to happen next year. The usual formula seems to be:

Spanky makes some extreme judgement on what needs to happen.
Uproar, threat of legal and teams leaving
Bernie makes some ill-judged comments
Spanky decides to soften his approach (fnar fnar) and then the teams agree to stay and continue

Still, wouldn't be F1 without the politics...

I'd intrigued where they would go though. Can you imagine them all rocking up for Le Mans instead?:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:hand::D

Big Gordy
14th May 2009, 08:55 AM
but can they build an Audi slayer..I think probably not.

They would have to produce a diesel to do that:smilewinkgrin:
There are Ferraris in the sports car classes tho:Whistle: They just have to build one to beat the Porsches:moonie:

euan
14th May 2009, 10:23 AM
They would have to produce a diesel to do that:smilewinkgrin:
There are Ferraris in the sports car classes tho:Whistle: They just have to build one to beat the Porsches:moonie:

I saw them in the British GT champs last year and they were VERY fast motors. Bear in mind also that Ferrari supply A1GP with the cars and engines, based on the car from a couple of years ago i think. Would they go there? Doubtful, it doesn't have the technical regulations they are looking for.

Le Mans - I think it's still possible to win without a diesel, but it would be bloody hard work! Would need the drivers to drive the car flat out with no issues with the car the whole race - very hard to achieve!