AndyP & Lenore
12th May 2009, 05:22 PM
Done it.

Got one.

New shiny toy. Yippeeeeee.:D

A.:D

Smitty
12th May 2009, 05:57 PM
About time - how long have we all been trying to convince you to do that :D :p :thumbs up:

Hamish
12th May 2009, 06:17 PM
haha, no way Andy... I just upgraded our phones and got one for myself. Didnt think i'd say it, but man I love the iPhone... how brilliant is it!!!

Scottie
12th May 2009, 06:18 PM
hope you enjoy it :thumbs up:

D3 JDA
12th May 2009, 06:30 PM
Very good phone had mine since january :thumbs up::clap:

Ivano
12th May 2009, 06:42 PM
IMO You just can't beat Apple Products.. :D:D:D

They are leading the way in Gadgets

Scottie
12th May 2009, 06:46 PM
I would suggest buying a pouch or whatever you prefer to keep the iphone in helps to keep it looking good.:cool:

I buy mine from fleabay for about £4.99 has nice we imprint of apple

AndyP & Lenore
12th May 2009, 06:52 PM
Always shyed away from pouches in the past. But I may just get one this time around. I've completely guffed the screen on my e66.

Was gonna get a screen cover from the o2 shop tomorrow at least.

Pi$$ed at the moment as it's not connected yet so can't even use it properly.

A.

Mini Ecosse
12th May 2009, 06:53 PM
Pardon my ignorance on these gadjet thingys, but will this work on vodafone as this gives best coverage in my area?

Stephen

AndyP & Lenore
12th May 2009, 06:55 PM
Stephen, at the moment iPhone's are only available on O2. There was talk of Orange getting in on the action, but nothing on that yet.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
12th May 2009, 09:13 PM
Posted from my nice shiny new iPhone.

Well chuffed. :D

Smitty
12th May 2009, 11:01 PM
Anyone clever/geeky enough on here to make a NMS Forum/vBulletin app for the iPhone?

That would just make my life complete!! :D :popcorn:

AndyP & Lenore
13th May 2009, 01:10 AM
Here's a question for you...

Turns out o2 signal strength at home is worse than pants. Sometimes I've got 1 bar, occasionally 2 bars, never got 3G.

But when I turned on wifi and connected to my home wireless network, all the aps worked a treat and I could surf very fast.

So the question is... does the iPhone automatically chose to use the fastest connection, like when in a connected wifi zone?

A.

AndyP & Lenore
13th May 2009, 01:10 AM
Anyone clever/geeky enough on here to make a NMS Forum/vBulletin app for the iPhone?

Fantastic idea Smitty.:thumbs up:

GCA3N
13th May 2009, 06:15 AM

Would make me get one for sure, gr8 idea

D3 JDA
13th May 2009, 07:06 AM
I would suggest buying a pouch or whatever you prefer to keep the iphone in helps to keep it looking good.:cool:

I buy mine from fleabay for about £4.99 has nice we imprint of apple

Here are some photos of a cover for the i-phone that i bought from e-bay. It comes from hongkong well worth the £4 that iincludes postage.:thumbs up:

Gismo
13th May 2009, 07:15 AM
So the question is... does the iPhone automatically chose to use the fastest connection, like when in a connected wifi zone?

A.You can set it up that way to use wi-fi, or use only known wi-fi

zimbo
13th May 2009, 08:11 AM
You can set it up that way to use wi-fi, or use only known wi-fi

:eek: Wot? in english please boss... :D iPODs, MP3/4 players etc, I dont even have anything like these and never have. I must be so far out of touch with modern technology, think I must be getting a lot older than I feel :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
13th May 2009, 08:39 AM
David, does it not take an age to get the thing out of it's leather wallet when you need to answer a call?:confused: I used to have one with a phone I had ages ago and I got fed up of fighting with the thing.

Alan, any idea how long the battery is gonna last with wifi left switched on permanently?:confused:

Zimbo, you are getting old.:moonie:

AndyP & Lenore
13th May 2009, 08:58 AM
Next question....

According to iTunes, you can only use a track purchased through iTunes as a ringtone. Is there any way to get round this with a tune I've been using for years on my other phone? I'd be happy to re-purchase it from iTunes, but it's not listed.:sad:

A.

GAJ
13th May 2009, 09:11 AM
You can, it seems a bit of a faff though. Google it and you'll find instructions. I've never done it as I don't have an iPhone yet. I was surprised you bought one now, a month away from the new models being announced.

Hamish
13th May 2009, 09:23 AM
Andy,

I just ordered this...

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TS502LL/A?n=iphone2&fnode=MTY1NDA0NA&mco=MjE1MDE1Nw

You get screen protector films too... not that cheap, but should be excellent, less than 1mm thick so shouldnt spoil the looks. :D

Bazthemod
13th May 2009, 09:35 AM
Andy there is an application that lets you record anything as your ringtone, however i make my ringtones in garage band as i use mac.

As for wifi the iphone automatically uses it if available rather than 3g. I dont notice this running my battery down a great deal however leaving push data on all time does drain battery quick so i set push data to every hour.

AndyP & Lenore
13th May 2009, 12:37 PM
Gaj, the guy in o2 shop tells me IF New iPhone arrives in the summer I can upgrade immediately for free.

Baz, cheers for the "push" tip.

A.

doogz__
13th May 2009, 01:01 PM
I've had an i-phone for a year now. Just upgraded to a Blackberry. it's not quite as "funky" as my iphone was, but it's much more useful, more of a tool than a toy.

GAJ
13th May 2009, 01:19 PM
Gaj, the guy in o2 shop tells me IF New iPhone arrives in the summer I can upgrade immediately for free.

A.

It will! :yes nod: That's an excellent deal then; they didn't offer me that. I hope you got it in writing though. Means you'll be able to sell the old one and be quids in.

Scottie
13th May 2009, 02:25 PM
if the o2 shop is saying the upgrade will be free then
it must be a complete new phone. Software upgrades are
Frequent'ish and free and not really considered an upgrade.
I have my fingers crossed that existing customers can upgrade
Free of charge

GAJ
13th May 2009, 02:42 PM
When the 3G iPhone came out, o2 informed existing iPhone customers - "You don’t have to wait until the end of your existing contract; all you’ll need to do is agree to a new 18-month minimum term contract.
*Best of all, the new iPhone 3G 8GB won’t cost you a penny on our £45 and £75 Pay Monthly tariffs for iPhone. And it’s just £99 on our £35 tariff and new £30 tariff. If you’d prefer the 16GB version, it’s free on our £75 tariff and you’ll pay just £59 with the £45 tariff and £159 on our £30 and £35 tariffs."
When I asked if they would be offering similar when the 2009 models are available they wouldn't confirm.

D3 JDA
13th May 2009, 06:28 PM
David, does it not take an age to get the thing out of it's leather wallet when you need to answer a call?:confused: I used to have one with a phone I had ages ago and I got fed up of fighting with the thing.

Alan, any idea how long the battery is gonna last with wifi left switched on permanently?:confused:

Zimbo, you are getting old.:moonie:

You dont need to take the phone out the leather cover when some one phones you just flip the magnetic clip and you can answer the call.The leather cover also acts as a good screen protecter.Imagine having your i-phone in a pouch and dropping it there is a good chance that it will ruined.On the other hand if you have it in a the leather wallet and drop it the phone is got a better chance of being ok.:thumbs up::clap::bigwave:

AndyP & Lenore
13th May 2009, 07:03 PM
When the 3G iPhone came out, o2 informed existing iPhone customers - "You don’t have to wait until the end of your existing contract; all you’ll need to do is agree to a new 18-month minimum term contract.
*Best of all, the new iPhone 3G 8GB won’t cost you a penny on our £45 and £75 Pay Monthly tariffs for iPhone. And it’s just £99 on our £35 tariff and new £30 tariff. If you’d prefer the 16GB version, it’s free on our £75 tariff and you’ll pay just £59 with the £45 tariff and £159 on our £30 and £35 tariffs."
When I asked if they would be offering similar when the 2009 models are available they wouldn't confirm.

Gaj, that is basically what they said to me. The guy didn't absolutely confirm it but I'm happy enough with what he said.

Anyway, when are you gonna get off yet arse and get one?

A.

GAJ
14th May 2009, 09:24 AM
Anyway, when are you gonna get off yet arse and get one?

A.

Final decision will be made when the new spec is announced.:smilewinkgrin:

I've been holding off for two years, which hasn't been easy, being the Apple fanboy that I am ;), but I've always thought that it's expensive for something that hasn't been able to do everything which I thought it should be able to.

This has helped though - http://www.slingmedia.com/go/iphone

I've had a Slingbox for a while (excellent product btw), but the mobile player has only been available for Symbian and Windows up to now. Shame that the iPhone version has been crippled so it won't work over 3G though. :sad:

I also really would like the new iPhone to be able to be tethered to use as a 3G modem - most phones allow this, even my brick like SE, but the current iPhone doesn't, which is annoying.:sad:

It looks like that the carriers are happy to potentially allow streaming of large volumes of data over 3G on other platforms, knowing in reality it doesn't happen to a great degree - only the more tech savvy actually get things to work! :argh: On the iPhone its a bit easier and they fear for their bandwidth.:frown:

Most of the other gripes people have with iPhones - like MMS, flash, video, camera, cut/paste etc. aren't show stoppers for me, but should be better in a phone targeted at the market sector it is aimed at.

Anyway, the short is answer, is I'll get one June/July. Probably!:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
14th May 2009, 10:48 AM
Gaj, your post is kinda a relief:yes nod:. I was worried you were holding off because you'd discovered the new new new iPhone was going to be able to move time or cure swine flu or some other advanced process that could come in useful. And I can see why folk would want the iPhone to act as a modem, I used to use my phone as a modem a few years ago, but have absolutely no plans to do so in the future. And the items you described as not being show stoppers for you, would be very handy for me, and all these are addressed in the software update coming soon - free for iPhone users, chargeable for iPod Touch users.:thumbs up:

Me and my iPhone have been together now for two days and I'm still in love with it.:yes nod:

Gismo
14th May 2009, 10:53 AM
Me and my iPhone have been together now for two days and I'm still in love with it.:yes nod:

A.:DI new you'd like it :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
14th May 2009, 11:00 AM
I new you'd like it :thumbs up:

Just waiting on my new fancy number porting over to the iPhone then it set up good and proper.

I don't have Outlook though, so no opportunity to sync the data from my Nokia to the iPhone. All being done manually, which is a tad tedious.

A.

Big Gordy
14th May 2009, 11:53 AM
God:eek: you guys are sooooooooooo anal with your phones:moonie:

AndyP & Lenore
14th May 2009, 12:48 PM
God:eek: you guys are sooooooooooo anal with your phones:moonie:

pmsl:laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
14th May 2009, 12:57 PM
David, cheers for suggesting the flip up cover thing. However, I had a wee look at one in the o2 shop and really didn't like it.

Think I'm gonna order one of those things hamish has ordered.

A. :D

Gismo
14th May 2009, 01:30 PM
I use a black neoprene skin bought off eBay and a thin screen protector, works ok for me and means i can have the phone in my pocket

Hamish
14th May 2009, 01:34 PM
David, cheers for suggesting the flip up cover thing. However, I had a wee look at one in the o2 shop and really didn't like it.

Think I'm gonna order one of those things hamish has ordered.

A. :D

Hi Andy, its pretty damn good in terms of not spoiling the look. I got it this morning. Got the crystal screen cover on now too... just a tip, make sure you clean and clean the screen before you put it on. Mine seems to be on nicely with no bits of grit stuck between phone screen and protector.

The jacket just pushes onto the back and really hasnt spoiled the look and its not too big in the old pocket now ;)

I've got a clear plastic one, think you can get white too.

Hope you like it as much as I do :thumbs up:

GAJ
14th May 2009, 01:38 PM
Gaj, your post is kinda a relief:yes nod:. I was worried you were holding off because you'd discovered the new new new iPhone was going to be able to move time or cure swine flu or some other advanced process that could come in useful.

What seems certain is that the new model will have -

600MHz CPU (currently 400MHz)
256MB RAM (currently 128MB)
32GB storage
Digital compass (magnetometer)
FM radio
3.2 megapixel camera
The first three are important, the next two are not (at least to me; if it was a DAB radio though... ), and the last one is nice, but OS 3.0 apparently vastly increases the clarity of pictures taken with the 2mp camera in the current model anyway.

So it looks like an upgrade, rather than a radically new model, which is disappointing - I was hoping for a unibody aluminium design along the lines of the current Macbook Pro. But we'll have to wait until the official announcement before we know for sure.

Gismo
14th May 2009, 01:57 PM
Agreed, the first 3 "upgrades" are quite substantial, i wonder if i'll be offered the upgrade

Scottie
14th May 2009, 02:07 PM
As a existing o2 customer I hope I get all that for free but I doubt it

The sena leather pouch is meant to be the thing to have for iPhone
Protection keeps the slim feel

AndyP & Lenore
14th May 2009, 04:37 PM
What seems certain is that the new model will have -

600MHz CPU (currently 400MHz)
256MB RAM (currently 128MB)
32GB storage
Digital compass (magnetometer)
FM radio
3.2 megapixel camera
The first three are important, the next two are not (at least to me; if it was a DAB radio though... ), and the last one is nice, but OS 3.0 apparently vastly increases the clarity of pictures taken with the 2mp camera in the current model anyway.

So it looks like an upgrade, rather than a radically new model, which is disappointing - I was hoping for a unibody aluminium design along the lines of the current Macbook Pro. But we'll have to wait until the official announcement before we know for sure.

Agreed, the first 3 "upgrades" are quite substantial, i wonder if i'll be offered the upgrade

I can see the first two making a difference to the working speed of the phone, but mines is like greased lightening just now anyway. Whether that will slow down to a crawling halt like most phones do once it's got a couple of hundred texts and other cr@p on it, remains to be seen.

The 32gb increase for me.... they'd as well make it 5bn GB or just the 1gb, makes little difference. I won't be using it for music or movies anyway. Although I guess the aps i download will use up memory, but I still don't see me filling the 8gb I currently have.

An aluminium unibody would be a very nice option though. Would look :cool:

Burple
14th May 2009, 05:11 PM
:eek: Wot? in english please boss... :D iPODs, MP3/4 players etc, I dont even have anything like these and never have. I must be so far out of touch with modern technology, think I must be getting a lot older than I feel :rolleyes:

no kidding!!!!!! :p:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Scottie
14th May 2009, 07:40 PM
for anyone wanting to put ringtones on their iphone.

Then download itoner you get a 30 day free trial;) drag and drop simple as that.:thumbs up:

GAJ
20th May 2009, 03:58 PM
Some interesting rumour info here - http://www.appadvice.com/newiphone.html

Scottie
20th May 2009, 06:38 PM
Some interesting rumour info here - http://www.appadvice.com/newiphone.html

Gaj

if 'm reading that right then surely it will be a new iphone and not just a software upgrade.:confused: and back to my original question if a new phone is required to get all these features then will it be free to current O2 iphone users.?

AndyP & Lenore
20th May 2009, 11:59 PM
Love this bit.... "However if this information proves to be accurate, the new iPhone will certainly be second to none"

Well, apart from the previous iPhone, which will actually be very similar indeed.

Nothing blows my skirt up from those rumours. The added memory will no doubt impress some, and for some I think it's a big point, just not for me. The faster processing power, done by "overclocking"... Hmmm... Well, OK, but overclocking can lead to overheat problems. Although I'm sure Apple know what they are doing. Ultimately, a fair bit of the technical changes detailed on that web site are down to a move to O.S 3, which will be free to download for iPhone users anyway.

If I'm able to upgrade when this new phone is released, I probably will anyway.

A.

Hamish
21st May 2009, 10:07 AM
hey andy... did you get the cover sorted?

AndyP & Lenore
21st May 2009, 10:54 AM
hey andy... did you get the cover sorted?

Ordered.:thumbs up: Was hoping it would be here today, but no luck in today's post.:sad:

stephgolding
21st May 2009, 04:51 PM
Then download itoner you get a 30 day free trial;) drag and drop simple as that.:thumbs up:

I use http://audiko.net/ then just click on turn on native audiko search under the find ringtonem then search for the tune you want then click download for iphone :) Plus its FREE! goes straight onto your itunes, so the next time you plug in the iphone it transfers :D