PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch thingies

AndyP & Lenore
12th May 2009, 09:43 AM
Discovered the other day Lenore's mum has just bought a new 8GB iPod Nano to replace her previous model because "it only had 2GB" and she couldn't get all her music and talking books onto it:rolleyes:. Felt rather left out in all things hi-tech:blush:. So we've decided to get an iPod Touch.

We're off to Orlando at the end of May. Are we likely to get it much cheaper out there, and (forgive my ignorance) will it still work in the UK? Thinking primarily of chargers/adapters, iPhone connector thingy and is the warranty a worldwide warranty?

A.:D

Forbes
12th May 2009, 10:00 AM
Don't know if this will help but my friend bought one in Japan, from a Apple shop and his warranty was not applicable here. Also though i have the 1st Generation Touch and it hasn't had a single problem in 2 years.

They are down to around £150ish on Ebay now, and also M&S sell it with a 2 year guarentee

Gismo
12th May 2009, 11:35 AM
You can charge the iTouch on a computer in the worst case scenario, but, obviously you can get chargers for them, look in the box and see what you get, you might have to get the USA adaptor to use in UK, of course an in car charger will also work.

Not sure on warranty, but, if you keep the receipt you can send it back to the shop if it breaks down.

ianking
12th May 2009, 12:05 PM
I have a 2nd gen ipod touch 16gb.
I bought it here in the Comet and no probs at all.

My Mini has the USB socket so I can control the ipod via the steering wheel and all the songs and albums are displayed on the minis radio screen.

I am in your area on Fri if you want me to pop past with the ipod and let you see it.

I wont have the MINI though as going on site so will be using a works car.

AndyP & Lenore
12th May 2009, 05:20 PM
Charging via USB is OK, but would prefer to be able to charge via mains if required. Also, mother in law says her old Nano used to take ages to charge via USB, much quicker by mains.

Sending back to the shop isn't really practical if we buy it in Best Buy in Orlando though.

I guess my main concern is warranty. Will a USA purchased iPod be warranted in the UK. Perhaps a email to Apple may answer the question.:yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
12th May 2009, 05:21 PM
I have a 2nd gen ipod touch 16gb.
I bought it here in the Comet and no probs at all.

My Mini has the USB socket so I can control the ipod via the steering wheel and all the songs and albums are displayed on the minis radio screen.

I am in your area on Fri if you want me to pop past with the ipod and let you see it.

I wont have the MINI though as going on site so will be using a works car.

Ian, we'll probably be in on Friday, so feel free to drop by if you like - the Poole's household is always open.

GAJ
12th May 2009, 05:30 PM
Apple provides a one year international warranty, so it doesn't matter where you buy, you're covered. The iPod isn't supplied with a mains charger, only a USB, so no worries about compatibility there, if you want a mains charger, you can buy one here.

Unlikely you will save much though buying in the US with the $-£ rate as it is - £20 if you are lucky. Also, if the rumours of the iPhone getting it's capacity doubled are true, it's likely that the Touch will be upgraded at the same time, so that may be worth bearing in mind.

AndyP & Lenore
12th May 2009, 05:46 PM
Cheers Gaj. To be honest the 16GB will probably do us fine. I can't see us needing more than that.

With the $ to £ rate being pants, we will check prices carefully before we go.

Handy to know about the warranty though.:thumbs up:

Cheers.

A.