PDA

View Full Version : Playmini hotting heat sheild, moving right and melting bumper

wu_swordsman
11th May 2009, 01:41 PM
Hi,

I had the joy of having a playmini TT style exhaust fitted last month and I love it however, it hits off the heat shield and bumper which is has melted. The exhaust tip sits 2" out form the bumper which is technically almost illegal in the UK.

Any ideas why it sticks out so far? How did you guys get a good connection with the centre section? Mine was pushed in through pure human force. Maybe this was not enough. Did anyone have a rubber hammer used on theirs? I was going to try this. It batters the hell out of the heat shield when idling and when gets hot. It sticks out so far that it kinda looks stupid.

Cheers Dan

Big Gordy
11th May 2009, 01:56 PM
Mmmmmmmm...all sounds a bit strange:confused: I, like many others on here, have a playmini exhausts fitted and none I know of suffer this problem:frown: My son and I fitted my slash cut one ourselves and it was a piece of cake to fit:yes nod:
Its a long shot but maybe one or more of the brackets has been bent a bit out of shape in-transit. It all seems very un-playmini like as they are very well made IMO:idea:

Big Gordy
11th May 2009, 01:59 PM
Should have asked......did you buy the cat back sysstem or just the back box..?? Shouldn't make any difference but maybe there are subtle differences between the standard centre section and the playmini one which is pushing it out of allignment with the furniture at the back of the car:Whistle:

Totally off topic...............3000 posts.........woooooohoooooo...!!!

wu_swordsman
11th May 2009, 02:06 PM
It's an unsilenced cat back system. I just wondered if I hadn't pushed the two centre pipes in far enough. Possibly a few belts with a rubber hammer might push it in a bit further but i didn't wanna hit my new shiny baby with anything :(

Big Gordy
11th May 2009, 02:16 PM
I just wondered if I hadn't pushed the two centre pipes in far enough

Don't understand this bit:confused:
As far as I remember there is NO push fit bit on the exhaust:eek:It's flanged ith 2 bolts holding them together (could be wrong tho as it wee while since I did it:blush:) so hitting it with a hammer will be no help whatsoever:moonie:

wu_swordsman
11th May 2009, 02:26 PM
It's a flanged connection at the cat end of the link pipe but the other end that connects to the back box section has four slits in it slots onto the back box pipe and is secured with a bracket.

Big Gordy
11th May 2009, 02:26 PM
Just had a look on their website and now see what your talking about:thumbs up:
I think you may be right in your thinking that one is not far enough up the other (ooooooerr missus:laugh:) If it was me I'd take the two apart and rub down/clean up the male end of the pipe so you can shove it up further(this is sounding terrible now:moonie:) Hopefully fixing all your problems in one fell swoop:smilewinkgrin:

wu_swordsman
11th May 2009, 02:32 PM
Yer thats what I thought. I'm going to do this later on today. There was slight leakage at this section when first fitted which suggests to me that this be the case.

thanks for the input. I'm pretty confident now that this is the problem.

Gismo
12th May 2009, 11:51 AM
Yep, ensure that the male end fits past the open slits of the female end, also, there may even be an upset that the male end will butt up against when fully in :blush:

john
12th May 2009, 12:12 PM
Also when fitting a Playmini exhaust the bracket for the rear silencer is sided so make sure it's the right way round otherwise the Exhaust sits offset slightly and melts the bumper;)

wu_swordsman
12th May 2009, 02:23 PM
Hi Guys,

Well....update! me and my bro took the exhaust of removed the link pipe, cleaned up the ends slapped exhaust paste all over the male end to lubricate and let it slide in better and used a rubber hammer to hammer it as far in as it will go. That coupled with the cablee tie bracket fix highlighted on the mini2 forum and bingo it looks, sounds and performs soooo much better.

It growls meaner, drives smoother and does not hit against the shield or bumper. It sits perfect :) and much further back.

thanks Guys.

P.S. does this have to be swapped over to the standard exhaust come TLC service time?

Gismo
12th May 2009, 02:46 PM
P.S. does this have to be swapped over to the standard exhaust come TLC service time?Shouldn't be any reason why they won't change your oil and filter cause of you're exhaust

doogz__
12th May 2009, 03:12 PM
Surely a non BMW-MINI performance modification like that will invalidate your warranty?

MartinSullivan
12th May 2009, 03:44 PM
Surely a non BMW-MINI performance modification like that will invalidate your warranty?

On the exhaust yes :thumbs up: but unless they can prove that your shiney exhaust is causing your windows not to function (or whatever other warranty claim you are trying to make) then no :hand:

Big Gordy
12th May 2009, 03:58 PM
Glad you got it sorted:thumbs up:

wu_swordsman
13th May 2009, 08:45 AM
So all was fine. It is perfectly aligned and looks good but I have now developed a crazy violent rattle when idling that shakes the whole car. It's coming from the back box area but the back box and pipe is not touching the heat shield or bumper at all. God I'm gettin fed up with this exhaust. This only happens when it gets hot and to top it off I have somethign rattling around insdide the back box as well GRRR!!!

Crombers
13th May 2009, 10:41 AM
Also when fitting a Playmini exhaust the bracket for the rear silencer is sided so make sure it's the right way round otherwise the Exhaust sits offset slightly and melts the bumper;)

Fountain of knowledge, this lad :smilewinkgrin:

Livi
19th May 2009, 01:39 PM

gonna dig this up as found out information.

If you fit any modification to the car it will invalidate your warranty, but not your TLC package.

but it does depend on your dealer on how they play by the book.

Some dealers will let customers off with some things where others wont allow anything unless its by the book.

Gismo
19th May 2009, 01:49 PM
If you fit any modification to the car it will invalidate your warranty, but not your TLC packageI must say i had excellent service at JC's for my modded MINI's, but, i'd be a tad miffed if a dealer refused to fix a faulty window winder because i'd fitted an exhaust :Whistle:

Livi
19th May 2009, 01:56 PM
I must say i had excellent service at JC's for my modded MINI's, but, i'd be a tad miffed if a dealer refused to fix a faulty window winder because i'd fitted an exhaust :Whistle:

seems harsh, but if BMW/MINI say so... i guess we have to comply.

But then, it is down to dealer descetion on if they want to or not :rolleyes:

we generally, are alright, aslong as its nothing to do with what the fault is :hand: