PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Tuning

Gismo
6th May 2009, 10:38 AM
Now that i have the turbo fitted, where can i go to get the tuning tinkered with?
By that i mean, when i feel the car isn't running right, without having to drive all the way to GTT is there any other local ish tuner garages to me in Montrose that i could use?

ianking
6th May 2009, 10:51 AM
What about Star Performance at Kirkaldy.

Forbes
6th May 2009, 10:56 AM
Wallace Performance in Aberdeen get good reviews if you have a turbo, always bad if you don't

Gismo
6th May 2009, 11:43 AM
What about Star Performance at Kirkaldy.

Wallace Performance in Aberdeen get good reviews if you have a turbo, always bad if you don't
Thanks guys, nice to know i have options over a 1,000 mile round trip

john
6th May 2009, 12:15 PM
Dastek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gismo
6th May 2009, 12:20 PM
Dastek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ah, nice one again :computer:

leeg87
6th May 2009, 12:22 PM
Ricky Gauld in Huntly might be able to sort you out - worth giving him a call.

Failing the other options above, rather than a 1000+ mile round trip, an 800 mile one to 1320mini would definately be worth it. I'm sure they would love to help you out / to mapping on the turbo

Gismo
6th May 2009, 12:30 PM
Failing the other options above, rather than a 1000+ mile round trip, an 800 mile one to 1320mini would definately be worth it. I'm sure they would love to help you out / to mapping on the turboI'm sure they'd love to see GTT's turbo conversion ;)

Livi
6th May 2009, 12:43 PM
Japperformance in aberdeen are top quality towards there turbos :thumbs up:

leeg87
6th May 2009, 12:54 PM
I'm sure they'd love to see GTT's turbo conversion ;)

I'm sure they would too, a few guys are having a top mount turbo conversion sent over from hubie fuh (abf performance) in the states so I know that they wont try and clone the GTT version.

I'm also sure that once they take a look at your car and get it mapped correctly (by chris) it will run better than it is now, and it would be worth the journey. Chris has a wealth of knowledge mapping engines and not just mini's - he used to work in F1, and work for cosworth etc. When I was down there a few weeks ago he was mapping a time attack lotus elise with a VAG 1.8t engine....380whp was the end result.

They are worth a call anyway ...

Gismo
6th May 2009, 01:16 PM
They are worth a call anyway ...I've heard nothing but good about them, but, at least until the warranty runs out if i'm gonna travel that far i'm as well to go to GTT.

AndyP & Lenore
6th May 2009, 01:25 PM
Wot John says, Dastek. Then you can get them to fit a nitrous kit, if you feel your car needs a bit more power.

A.:thumbs up:

RyanK
6th May 2009, 02:06 PM
Sitech Racing in Blair Atholl. Uncle uses them to tune his cossies and he said they are very good. If you want any more infor give me a shout. http://sitechracing.co.uk/.

Im sure all companies are just as good as each other though

Scottie
6th May 2009, 06:10 PM
why not try Angel Tuning they will come to your house I've used them on a few cars now and only have good things to say about them.

http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/

leeg87
9th May 2009, 11:32 PM
How do you mean the car is not running right anyway? what do you feel is wrong?

I only ask because it will be the turbo route thatI innevitably go to and of the conversions I've seen, GTT's price is a bit cheaper than the others - although the others come with more kit (i think)

Have you called Rolland?

Gismo
10th May 2009, 05:05 AM
How do you mean the car is not running right anyway? what do you feel is wrong?

I only ask because it will be the turbo route thatI innevitably go to and of the conversions I've seen, GTT's price is a bit cheaper than the others - although the others come with more kit (i think)

Have you called Rolland?I've not called Roland yet, but, i feel hesitation on full throttle, but, twas at the end of my time at home and i need to check it again when i get home.
Certainly not overly worried and this thread was to discover alternative tuners who may be able to look at my car in the future to save a mega journey for something that may be easily fixed.

The hesitatuion may simply be the traction control kicking in and not staying off, anyway, as i say, i'll check when i get home

MrMischief
10th May 2009, 06:50 AM
Most of the main ones in this area have been named, I've always had good experiences at Star Performance, Dastek are very professional (ex Toyota WRC mechanic), and also Sam Elassar is very good at mapping (www.dentistmapped.com) - check out his own drag Evo, he's based in the Dundee area but travels worldwide to map cars, so a hop up the coast would be nothing to him :D

Not sure how much experience they have with MINI's but the same formula applies for most turbo's.

leeg87
10th May 2009, 09:33 AM
must be starting to heat up in baku now??

I was there in feb last year and was freezing my balls off in my thermal cover-alls, went back in march and got sun burned :laugh:

Gismo
10th May 2009, 10:53 AM
must be starting to heat up in baku now??

I was there in feb last year and was freezing my balls off in my thermal cover-alls, went back in march and got sun burned :laugh:Yep, 18 degrees most days just now, plenty folks sun bathing at lunch times etc

badwolf340
14th June 2009, 08:09 PM
Most of the main ones in this area have been named, I've always had good experiences at Star Performance, Dastek are very professional (ex Toyota WRC mechanic), and also Sam Elassar is very good at mapping (www.dentistmapped.com (http://www.dentistmapped.com)) - check out his own drag Evo, he's based in the Dundee area but travels worldwide to map cars, so a hop up the coast would be nothing to him :D

Not sure how much experience they have with MINI's but the same formula applies for most turbo's.
Dont think Sam would map a mini,have used sam before and know lots of people that have, but no minis.most mappers only stick to ecu,s they know or have license for .

MrMischief
14th June 2009, 11:28 PM
Dont think Sam would map a mini,have used sam before and know lots of people that have, but no minis.most mappers only stick to ecu,s they know or have license for .

He's been a friend of mine for years, I think he'd be happy to give advice on Gizmo's state of tune...and he'd remap it if Gizmo were to run certain brands of aftermarket ECU. If it's the map that's causing the problem then that may be the only solution. Only one way to find out...:yes nod:

MartinSullivan
15th June 2009, 08:02 AM
He's been a friend of mine for years, I think he'd be happy to give advice on Gizmo's state of tune...and he'd remap it if Gizmo were to run certain brands of aftermarket ECU. If it's the map that's causing the problem then that may be the only solution. Only one way to find out...:yes nod:

I was looking at Sams site, because I was interested to see what he could do for the Z, and maybe give me a dental check at the same time but it doesnt seem to have been updated for a long time, even the forum seems to have died a death - is he still offering his services???

MrMischief
15th June 2009, 09:10 PM
I was looking at Sams site, because I was interested to see what he could do for the Z, and maybe give me a dental check at the same time but it doesnt seem to have been updated for a long time, even the forum seems to have died a death - is he still offering his services???

It's been quiet on there a long time, think he's been kept pretty busy setting up his new practice, and new family as well as trying to fit in his mapping...and playing with his Evo toys :rolleyes:

roysterdsb
2nd July 2009, 08:52 PM
MADevelopments have now put the Vipec standalone ECU into Lee (2Much's) Front Mount GTT Turbo conversion.

http://www.apra70.dsl.pipex.com/home/index.htm

Its Mark Shead thats been working on Lee's car and I know that Lee is seriously impressed with his work.

Graham (GRS Motorsport) has also just designed an all new front mount for Lee, which looks mucho :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Grahamxx/IMG_0561Small.jpg

&

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Grahamxx/IMG_0548Small.jpg

Gismo
3rd July 2009, 04:22 AM
MADevelopments have now put the Vipec standalone ECU into Lee (2Much's) Front Mount GTT Turbo conversion.
Very interesting ;)

antihero3000
9th July 2009, 09:46 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems mate. Hopefully it'll come back better than ever :thumbs up:

john
18th November 2009, 06:46 PM
Now that the car has been back to GTT whats the verdict??:popcorn:

Gismo
18th November 2009, 07:07 PM
Now that the car has been back to GTT whats the verdict??:popcorn:I'm driving it very sensibly so the new owner will get the full benefit :rolleyes: but...................there are no misfires, no flat spots and the sound is awesome :D

john
18th November 2009, 07:26 PM
I'm driving it very sensibly so the new owner will get the full benefit :rolleyes: but...................there are no misfires, no flat spots and the sound is awesome :D

Thats good to hear:Whistle:

leeg87
18th November 2009, 07:41 PM
has it actually been tuned? what did roland do to fix it?

R32GTR
19th November 2009, 01:03 PM
time to get it on the dyno then, no sheet no proof imo theres a piston heads one on the 5th at maptun too

Gismo
19th November 2009, 01:40 PM
time to get it on the dyno then, no sheet no proof imoNo proof of what exactly :confused:

R32GTR
19th November 2009, 05:18 PM
if id have paid for a turbo conversion id like to know if its making decent power

Gismo
19th November 2009, 05:38 PM
I'm more than happy with the driveability of it and comparing it to before the conversion i can tell there is more power there.
Admittedly i can't tell exactly how much, but, i don't really care, i won't be putting it anywhere near a dyno, however, if the new owner wants to..........................;)

zimbo
20th November 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm more than happy with the driveability of it and comparing it to before the conversion i can tell there is more power there.
Admittedly i can't tell exactly how much, but, i don't really care, i won't be putting it anywhere near a dyno, however, if the new owner wants to..........................;)

The new owner is going to be a lucky bas****..... :Whistle: :sad:

leeg87
20th November 2009, 03:17 PM
or an unlucky bastart...

Gismo
20th November 2009, 03:48 PM
or an unlucky bastart...:confused:

john
20th November 2009, 04:46 PM
But a Bastart either way:eek:

leeg87
21st November 2009, 03:36 PM
:confused:

Whats to say that all the problems are actually ironed out and not just waiting to show their face again. What did roland do to fix it?

Gismo
21st November 2009, 04:19 PM
Whats to say that all the problems are actually ironed out and not just waiting to show their face again. What did roland do to fix it?Sounds to me like you're wanting it to fail in some way, time will tell if it's "fixed" as you put it.

leeg87
21st November 2009, 05:39 PM
Sounds to me like you're wanting it to fail in some way, time will tell if it's "fixed" as you put it.

Nope not at all - dont wish for anyones car to fail.

All I know is that there have been some problems with rolands turbo conversions that he has completed - teething problems or whatever, still problems nonetheless - and since your car wasnt running right, or you felt it wasn't at least, I think its a reasonable question to ask what Roland did to 'rectify' it...?

Gismo
21st November 2009, 06:54 PM
Nope not at all - dont wish for anyones car to fail.

All I know is that there have been some problems with rolands turbo conversions that he has completed - teething problems or whatever, still problems nonetheless - and since your car wasnt running right, or you felt it wasn't at least, I think its a reasonable question to ask what Roland did to 'rectify' it...?I've only heard of one problematic car and that was mostly used on the track.
Sure mine had teething problems, but, i could have continued the way it was.
As it stands, i added JE Pistons, a gas flowed cylinder head, an uprated cam shaft and it had a custom remap as well, not because it wasn't running right, more so that because i am selling the car i wanted the new owner to have peace of mind knowing that i sold it in the best condition possible.

leeg87
21st November 2009, 07:16 PM
Custom remap? bluefin or unichip or.....? was this performed on the road? or a rolling road?

Gismo
22nd November 2009, 12:18 PM
Custom remap? bluefin or unichip or.....? was this performed on the road? or a rolling road?Pretty sure it's the Superchips and done on the road

Edit: Changed map folk to Superchips