PDA

View Full Version : R56 s diesel rattle

GCA3N
5th May 2009, 12:49 PM
Right the r56 experience is clouding slightly. Started the car up this morning to find the car sounded like an old diesel engine. I have read alot about this on the web but would like the opinion of those on here.
Has anyone had this.
what did they do about it.
what was the outcome.

thanks.

Gismo
5th May 2009, 12:50 PM
Oh Craig, don't bite :computer:

GCA3N
5th May 2009, 12:52 PM
Oh Craig, don't bite :computer:

I feel the words I told you so may be on the way.
Also meant to add the noise lasted for about 30 secs, then nothing. But it did sound really loud.:frown:

Scottie
5th May 2009, 01:14 PM
Check out totalmini website. A couple of members with their new jcw mini still
Had this problem. However there now seems to be a defo fix for it.

Would put a link to the thread but using my iPhone

Livi
5th May 2009, 01:40 PM
I remember typing out a PuMA case for you guys which can be found here

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15005

GCA3N
5th May 2009, 02:09 PM

Had a read of this now thanks, so is there an update for later R56's like mine, seen as the tensioner is not an issue.

GCA3N
5th May 2009, 02:21 PM
Just off the phone to the garage, so they are stating that it is the chain tensioner, and they will replace it. Stuart stated that his R56 done the same and once this was replaced it was ok. He also stated that the noise is not harming the engine. So when I get home it is going in for a for a faulty drivers window, scratch/dent on the door and the chain tensioner replaced, yeeeh I love R56 ownership so far. At least the garage are being superb about it and I will get a courtesy car.

Big Gordy
5th May 2009, 02:27 PM
What was it we told him Craig:Whistle: and would he listen to us.....ohhh no, he thought he knew better:p
Kidding aside.....I hope you get it fixed Greig:yes nod:

illegalhunter
5th May 2009, 02:29 PM
Mine had it way back at the start of production , still no real cure. I was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

ianking
5th May 2009, 03:40 PM
Well I had plenty issues with my 07 plate S and it seemed as though they couldnt fix it so I traded it in for a 130i.
Missed MINI ownership so it went and I was rather nervous going back to a mini.
With my 08 plate (july build) factory JCW I can touch wood say that I have not had any issues of D noise. Its the best MINI I have had. The factory guys were having a good day when they built it.

Dont let negative vibes from this forum or any other forum put you off owning a nice new car. You could have kept your R50 for years still and turned it into a classic but you wanted a nice new shiney car and its all you can get now if you want a NEW mini. Yes some folk dont like them, but YOU do and its your car bought with your money.
Enjoy it. :D
At the end of the day the car is under warranty for at least another 2 years for you (08 plate right) so if it does go Pete Tong you will get a new engine.

GCA3N
5th May 2009, 03:44 PM
Well I had plenty issues with my 07 plate S and it seemed as though they couldnt fix it so I traded it in for a 130i.
Missed MINI ownership so it went and I was rather nervous going back to a mini.
With my 08 plate (july build) factory JCW I can touch wood say that I have not had any issues of D noise. Its the best MINI I have had. The factory guys were having a good day when they built it.

Dont let negative vibes from this forum or any other forum put you off owning a nice new car. You could have kept your R50 for years still and turned it into a classic but you wanted a nice new shiney car and its all you can get now if you want a NEW mini. Yes some folk dont like them, but YOU do and its your car bought with your money.
Enjoy it. :D
At the end of the day the car is under warranty for at least another 2 years for you (08 plate right) so if it does go Pete Tong you will get a new engine.

Thanks for that your right, 2 years of warranty and servicing free so will get to the bottom of it soon, still a fantastic car.

D3 JDA
5th May 2009, 05:12 PM
Hi there m8 sorry to hear your having a few problems with the R56.The garage will soon have it as good as new.Touch wood i aint had any problems with mine so far hope it stays that way.Have you decided on what wheels to go for and what about the stripes.:argh:

The Dogfather
5th May 2009, 05:45 PM
My car makes this noise every few mornings, however it goes away after about 30 secs of driving and it doesn't seem to cause any problems so I'm going to leave it until the first service.

I am happy with my MINI? Totally, because unless a problem stops the car from moving or is a major inconvenience then I'm happy to wait until a scheduled visit to the dealer.

Stewart
5th May 2009, 06:38 PM
By the sounds of it, it’s a known fix. Pity you had a wee moment with the car that looks so darn good.

I had to get a new Alloy and Tyre on my car from the dealer a week after I got the Coop.... Just thought I've paid this amount and having one well used tyre and a reconditioned Alloy was not good enough when the car was otherwise spot on.

It spoilt a few days but Stirling were first class and swapped the wheel off a new Clubman. Upshot is I’d go there to buy a new car again…

What was the window problem?

MINI William
5th May 2009, 06:38 PM
We have not had a peep from the JCW in regards to the diesel noise etc.The car is under warrenty so if it goes bang then you get a new engine so there is nothing to worry about.As far as I am aware it causes not harm to the engine only to your ears for the first little while when you start the car up.You wanted a new "S" so as Ian said that is the only car you could get.

My advice to you would be to not worry, turn the radio up for the first 5 mins of starting the car up and most of all enjoy your new R56 and dont let the R56 bashers get to you:thumbs up:

GCA3N
5th May 2009, 07:11 PM
We have not had a peep from the JCW in regards to the diesel noise etc.The car is under warrenty so if it goes bang then you get a new engine so there is nothing to worry about.As far as I am aware it causes not harm to the engine only to your ears for the first little while when you start the car up.You wanted a new "S" so as Ian said that is the only car you could get.

My advice to you would be to not worry, turn the radio up for the first 5 mins of starting the car up and most of all enjoy your new R56 and dont let the R56 bashers get to you:thumbs up:

Cheers mate, I am not letting it bother me, if it was costing me then different story. Done the same again a little later on today,lasted about 30 secs or so. Not worrying me I trust stuart he seems spot on.

KenL
5th May 2009, 07:28 PM
Mine had it way back at the start of production , still no real cure. I was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

I am not so sure that is the case.

From reading on MINI2 & totalmini there now appears to be a more thorough fix.

I'm sure your car will be sorted Greig :thumbs up:

No sign of this happening on mine (touch wood) after 1100 miles, it is an Oct 08 car and apparantly the latest fix only started going into factory production in Feb/March.

KenL
5th May 2009, 07:29 PM

Is it your Cooper you are talking about William? This is an S only problem.

KenL
5th May 2009, 07:31 PM

Could you do us a BIG favour and search out the latest info on this fix?

I think it was produced in March this year.

Would be brilliant :thumbs up:, if you could cut and paste all the info ;)

GCA3N
5th May 2009, 07:55 PM
I am not so sure that is the case.

From reading on MINI2 & totalmini there now appears to be a more thorough fix.

I'm sure your car will be sorted Greig :thumbs up:

No sign of this happening on mine (touch wood) after 1100 miles, it is an Oct 08 car and apparantly the latest fix only started going into factory production in Feb/March.

What did they say was the fault and the cure as a matter of interest

KenL
5th May 2009, 08:11 PM
What did they say was the fault and the cure as a matter of interest

Look here: http://www.totalmini.com/forum/51-2006-current-2nd-generation/798-cold-start-noise-3.html

post #24 is of most interest.

KenL
5th May 2009, 08:14 PM
...and read this: http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-mini-cooper-s/170293-cars-built-since-last-october-any-have-cold-start-noise.html

N12 JLK
5th May 2009, 08:22 PM
We had one of the first R56 S's and it did start to rattle but it did get fixed but unfortunatly it came back but it didnt put us off owning another R56 S which we got in November. Great car to drive , your car will get fixed so enjoy your car.

GCA3N
5th May 2009, 08:24 PM
great info mate. Spoke to stuart today, and he said it was the chain tensioner. He said his did it and the new one has sorted the problem. So the dealership have been cool about it, hopefully get it sorted and that will be that. Again thanks for the help will be able to at least have an understanding when I put the car in.

MINI William
5th May 2009, 08:30 PM
Is it your Cooper you are talking about William? This is an S only problem.

Nope Factory JCW

KenL
5th May 2009, 08:37 PM
Nope Factory JCW

Ah!, got confused with the JCW Cooper in your sig.

MINI William
5th May 2009, 08:38 PM
Ah!, got confused with the JCW Cooper in your sig.

Mum and Dad have factory JCW:thumbs up:

GCA3N
5th May 2009, 08:50 PM
Hi there m8 sorry to hear your having a few problems with the R56.The garage will soon have it as good as new.Touch wood i aint had any problems with mine so far hope it stays that way.Have you decided on what wheels to go for and what about the stripes.:argh:

Hard decision to make, I asked the best person in the world who's opinion means more than ayones, my 5 year old daughter. I showed her the 2 pics she said, "I like the white wheels, the black one's look silly". So i guess the question is answered. White wheels it is. Prob go for the white/blue vipers too.

Scottie
5th May 2009, 08:51 PM
this is the thread I was talking about earlier seems there is a fix. It would appear reading all the threads no matter when built of what model of S it's just your luck of the draw nowadays where you get the dreaded problem or not.

http://www.totalmini.com/forum/40-2006-current-2nd-generation/450-engine-rattle-solution.html

The work that was done was as follows:

"1. Install latest timing chain tensioner
2. Replace timing chain
3. Inspect valvetrain (VANOS) for wear and replace if necessary (mine didn't need replacing)"

I've always thought the vanos could be part of the problem right from the off but never really said in case folks thought I was daft just thought because the BMW forums always talk about their vanos problems:blush:

GCA3N
5th May 2009, 08:56 PM
this is the thread I was talking about earlier seems there is a fix. It would appear reading all the threads no matter when built of what model of S it's just your luck of the draw nowadays where you get the dreaded problem or not.

http://www.totalmini.com/forum/40-2006-current-2nd-generation/450-engine-rattle-solution.html

The work that was done was as follows:

"1. Install latest timing chain tensioner
2. Replace timing chain
3. Inspect valvetrain (VANOS) for wear and replace if necessary (mine didn't need replacing)"

I've always thought the vanos could be part of the problem right from the off but never really said in case folks thought I was daft.

Thanks for all that.

KenL
5th May 2009, 08:59 PM
What is the vanos?

Scottie
5th May 2009, 09:03 PM
What is the vanos?

no idea but if you type bmw and vanos in google search and try searching for vanos rattle etc etc

MINI William
5th May 2009, 09:10 PM
Vanous (Variable Onckenwellen Steuerung) is varable valve timing in short

Craig
5th May 2009, 09:32 PM
Grieg, I feel so sorry for you mate.... :frown:

I won't go into great detail, but this was a fault on both on my S's and as others have said if it breaks, your warranty will sort it. That to me is not what a new car is about. I hate it when I have problems with a newish car (especially bigger problems) and I rightly or wrongly think that it should be fixed. MINI were unable to do this with my 2 cars and I was given misinformation by various within MINI and for this reason I did not want another R56 S as I could not trust the model not to do the same thing as some of the problems they did not have a fix for... :frown:

I really hope you get all the problems fixed to your satisfaction and you can continue to enjoy your car rather than have it in the garage getting fixed... :thumbs up:

oh aye and "I told you so!!!! " :yes nod::hand:

GCA3N
5th May 2009, 09:38 PM
Grieg, I feel so sorry for you mate.... :frown:

I won't go into great detail, but this was a fault on both on my S's and as others have said if it breaks, your warranty will sort it. That to me is not what a new car is about. I hate it when I have problems with a newish car (especially bigger problems) and I rightly or wrongly think that it should be fixed. MINI were unable to do this with my 2 cars and I was given misinformation by various within MINI and for this reason I did not want another R56 S as I could not trust the model not to do the same thing as some of the problems they did not have a fix for... :frown:

I really hope you get all the problems fixed to your satisfaction and you can continue to enjoy your car rather than have it in the garage getting fixed... :thumbs up:

oh aye and "I told you so!!!! " :yes nod::hand:

I know, I know. I am ok about it though.

Neil and Lorna
5th May 2009, 09:49 PM
Our R56 JCW is in JC's just now having the brakes looked at.:ragin:

They are also going to investigate our diesel noise.:ragin:

Been some interesting reading in this thread as the guy I spoke to today didn't know what the solution is.:argh:

BTW We got a BMW 320D as a courtesy car, I'm sorry if any of you's out there have one but I dont like it.
My own opinion, boring uneventful drive home, nearly sent me to sleep.:yawn:
Gear box was like stirring frozen porridge.:eek:

Neil.:D

illegalhunter
5th May 2009, 10:35 PM
Our R56 JCW is in JC's just now having the brakes looked at.:ragin:

They are also going to investigate our diesel noise.:ragin:

Been some interesting reading in this thread as the guy I spoke to today didn't know what the solution is.:argh:

BTW We got a BMW 320D as a courtesy car, I'm sorry if any of you's out there have one but I dont like it.
My own opinion, boring uneventful drive home, nearly sent me to sleep.:yawn:
Gear box was like stirring frozen porridge.:eek:

Neil.:D
frozen porridge classic