PDA

View Full Version : Brake Wear Indicator

Smitty
4th May 2009, 11:31 AM
Is there anyway of re-setting this light on your dash yourself?

It's been on since I got my pads changed before Christmas. Thought it might disappear after doing a few miles but i've done about 200miles and it's still on!

Is it a trip back the the Garage and tell them that they have screwed up!?

Forbes
4th May 2009, 11:44 AM
I had to take mine into the garage to get them to turn my one off when i got my pads fitted. If they did it it shouldn't be any hassle.

ianking
4th May 2009, 12:05 PM
Did you change the wear sensor?

Smitty
4th May 2009, 12:08 PM
Didn't do the job myself - should they have changed the sensor?

ianking
4th May 2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah it should be changed when the pads are done, particularly if the light came on to tell you they needed changed.

KenL
4th May 2009, 08:27 PM
There is a post somewhere (mini2, northamericanmotoring ?????????) which details how you reset displays.

If I find it, I will post.

Smitty
4th May 2009, 10:57 PM
There is a post somewhere (mini2, northamericanmotoring ?????????) which details how you reset displays.

If I find it, I will post.

Thanks Ken - that would be awesome. Gona see if the Garage can reset it tomorrow, but failing that I can hopefully do it myself!

Smitty
11th May 2009, 11:14 PM
Well it was up on the ramps for about 2 hours. Mechanics had the wheels off, the brake pad sensors stripped right back and couldn't find anything wrong with them.

They said to leave it with them and they would have a look the next day but I had to head back down south so I couldn't do this.

They tried multiple ECU resets to know such luck. The weird thing is, it went off for a little bit when traveling back down south but it's back on again.

Where do I stand with this? I can't put the car into the garage as it's 400miles+ from where I am now, but it is surely their responsibility to fix the issue?

It's really annoying :argh:

Morri7
13th May 2009, 09:49 PM
I think all you do is turn the ignition on (don't start the car though) for about 30 secs turn it off again and then start the car. I have had to do this in the past and don't remember it being too difficult. The other thing you could do is disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes then reconnect it. If it's a Cooper S you have remember not to shut the boot after dissconnecting the battery....you won't get it open again to reconnect it wiout using the emergency release under the rear seat! I have done this:blush: and felt very silly!
Let us know if this works.

Smitty
14th May 2009, 06:35 PM
I think all you do is turn the ignition on (don't start the car though) for about 30 secs turn it off again and then start the car. I have had to do this in the past and don't remember it being too difficult. The other thing you could do is disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes then reconnect it. If it's a Cooper S you have remember not to shut the boot after dissconnecting the battery....you won't get it open again to reconnect it wiout using the emergency release under the rear seat! I have done this:blush: and felt very silly!
Let us know if this works.

Thanks Morri - I'll give that a bash at the weekend and report back :thumbs up:

countdown
18th May 2009, 10:45 PM
Well it was up on the ramps for about 2 hours. Mechanics had the wheels off, the brake pad sensors stripped right back and couldn't find anything wrong with them.

They said to leave it with them and they would have a look the next day but I had to head back down south so I couldn't do this.

They tried multiple ECU resets to know such luck. The weird thing is, it went off for a little bit when traveling back down south but it's back on again.

Where do I stand with this? I can't put the car into the garage as it's 400miles+ from where I am now, but it is surely their responsibility to fix the issue?

It's really annoying :argh:

If the brake wear light is on then the brake sensor wire must be replaced with a new one. Resets etc wont turn the light off. It should have been replaced to start with, they arent expensive. Its the only way the light will go off.