PDA

View Full Version : Start/ Stop problem

Bazthemod
1st May 2009, 09:44 AM
Now that the weather is warming my Start/Stop function is kicking in more and i generally like it and got used to it, but recently on the odd occasion the engine will appear to cut out then suddenly rev up to about 2k and then idle normally.

Anyone else had this? :confused:

V500EMA
1st May 2009, 01:02 PM
My mum had this with her R56 mini one- apparently the engine starts again after a certain period of time to stop the battery being drained too much- or so she was told :confused:

GCA3N
1st May 2009, 02:52 PM
Now that the weather is warming my Start/Stop function is kicking in more and i generally like it and got used to it, but recently on the odd occasion the engine will appear to cut out then suddenly rev up to about 2k and then idle normally.

Anyone else had this? :confused:

I presume you can just turn it off, to stop it.

Bazthemod
1st May 2009, 03:00 PM
Yeh if i disable start stop then it wont happen.

Just did it again pulling into drive there, revs drop as if it is about to cut out as normal then suddenly revs up again and idles instead.

GCA3N
1st May 2009, 03:07 PM
Having just started to use this system I am still unclear on exactly it's ins and outs. Is it working differently from before. When I stop the car and remove my foot from the clutch it stops, but if i keep in on the clutch even just resting my foot against the the peddle it idles. What I have noticed is that when i pull into the drive and stop, pull on the handbrake, sometimes it cuts out and other times it does'nt, will need to read up a bit on it. Hope this very little helps

Bazthemod
1st May 2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah sometimes if the car has not been running long enough or the temp outside is too cold it wont auto stop. Its like it cant decide if it should cut out or idle so it does a wee rev to itself ... might need to take a trip to JC's but its difficult to show them as it is so intermittent.

zimbo
1st May 2009, 03:29 PM
Baz I've not had this problem, but just go into JCs and ask them if there has been a known fault or problem like this or even check some other mini sites and see what they say.

KenL
1st May 2009, 06:47 PM
There is a long list of things listed in the manual which prevent the stop from happening.

I've not noticed any problems with mine and think it is a worthwhile feature.

Scottie
1st May 2009, 06:59 PM
not had any problem so far, what I have noticed if I pull up to the garage to put the car away and take my foot of the clutch it will cut out, if however I make a few maneuvers to line up with the garage it won't cut off clever wee thing.

Bazthemod
1st May 2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah if you engage reverse then it wont cut out incase you are maneuvering. Will take a trip to dealers next week and ask about my alloys at same time.

MINI William
1st May 2009, 07:56 PM
Not had any probs with mine baz

Stewart
1st May 2009, 08:23 PM
Main thing here it’s only for lights and traffic jams is it not.........I've never pulled up and used it after parking in the drive. I've always hit the start button.

So some are pulling up and going into neutral and lifting the clutch…. To actually stop the car, that just seems wrong to me. It must be my drive is on a hill and parked in gear.

Bazthemod
1st May 2009, 09:18 PM
Main thing here it’s only for lights and traffic jams is it not.........I've never pulled up and used it after parking in the drive. I've always hit the start button.

So some are pulling up and going into neutral and lifting the clutch…. To actually stop the car, that just seems wrong to me. It must be my drive is on a hill and parked in gear.

If you drive a manual car and are parking up on level ground you engage the clutch as you come to a stop, put car into neutral and apply handbrake. That's how i was taught to drive? Doing this process means the start stop function will kick in as it should regardless if you are in traffic or at traffic lights.

If you keep your car in gear it wont cut out so you will have to manually stop the engine. I don't like leaving my car in gear as my driving instructor was dead against it unless on steep gradient.