PDA

View Full Version : Pads and discs on the R56

Ferengo
28th April 2009, 08:51 AM
I got my front brake pads and discs replaced yesterday. I have done 20,000 miles from new and have had the car 19 months. DO you think the discs should require changing this early?

Crombers
28th April 2009, 09:09 AM
I got to 54000 in my MINI & there was still some milage left in the pads (not a lot mind :rolleyes:)

I'm still on the original discs at 60K.

I reckon you should get a lot more than 20K out of discs unless you've damaged them but then again I ain't no mechanic.

BigStuff
28th April 2009, 09:48 AM
I got my front brake pads and discs replaced yesterday. I have done 20,000 miles from new and have had the car 19 months. DO you think the discs should require changing this early?

Acording to OBC i'll need front pads at 25k ish. Don't expect to change discs then though

KenL
28th April 2009, 12:53 PM
My Cooper had its service at 22k miles. Was told there was plenty life left in all the pads. OBC was saying 6k miles to replacement but I doubt that is accurate.

At 20k miles I would have been asking to be shown exactly why they needed replaced.

How much did you pay BTW?

Ferengo
28th April 2009, 01:07 PM
My Cooper had its service at 22k miles. Was told there was plenty life left in all the pads. OBC was saying 6k miles to replacement but I doubt that is accurate.

At 20k miles I would have been asking to be shown exactly why they needed replaced.

How much did you pay BTW?

£180 for 2 sets of pads, 2 sets of discs and wipers blades.

iain cooper
28th April 2009, 01:35 PM
did they give you the old discs and pads ?...........what is wrong with them ?

Ferengo
28th April 2009, 01:55 PM
No they didn't but I called Grassicks and they said there is nothing unusual about require discs at 20,000 miles nor pads. I will call JC's and speak to them.

Craig
28th April 2009, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't be happy with that Grant... :frown::frown:

mine goes in for it's 25000 mile service next monday and if I get told it needs pads never mind disks I will not be happy...:argh:

Ferengo
28th April 2009, 06:05 PM
I've got to go in and speak to them tomorrow. There was some missing paper work and the computer isn't matching up with the state of the car, been told I need new back brakes in 5000 miles but the OBC says 9000. Both Grasicks and JC's have picked this and the front brakes up when it's been in. I mean I can understand pads as I am a heavy breaker (Comes from them failing on 2 previous cars) but discs was a shock. Has anyone else had discs replaced on the R56 cooper? If so at what millage?

I wouldn't be happy with that Grant... :frown::frown:

mine goes in for it's 25000 mile service next monday and if I get told it needs pads never mind disks I will not be happy...:argh:

Craig, let me know what they say about the state of your brakes when your car is in, would be interesting to see what another R56 comes up with...

Craig
28th April 2009, 08:22 PM
Craig, let me know what they say about the state of your brakes when your car is in, would be interesting to see what another R56 comes up with...

mine is an R50 Grant, so might be different wear rates for the discs and pads ;)

Ferengo
28th April 2009, 08:55 PM
DOH!!! I shoulda saw that. Well I'll update the post tomorrow once I've been over. My thought is they will say it's because the pads were so worn down but the OBC said they weren't needing done for 1400 miles so I'd say it's still the cars fault.

GCA3N
28th April 2009, 09:11 PM
I know it's not an R56, but I changed the discs on my R50 at 45k and there were really worn. But then again i like the old spirited driving too. (Had the car from 30k)

JOHN MILNE
29th April 2009, 07:36 AM
when my car was serviced in november last year i was told
i only had 680 miles left on the pads
i never got them done as the car had only done 18000 in two years i waited
till pad warning light came on (last week) at 22000 mls and i only needed to replace the front pads discs and rear pads are ok

Ferengo
29th April 2009, 02:26 PM
when my car was serviced in november last year i was told
i only had 680 miles left on the pads
i never got them done as the car had only done 18000 in two years i waited
till pad warning light came on (last week) at 22000 mls and i only needed to replace the front pads discs and rear pads are ok

That's not far off mine then as just over 20000 miles. It's good to know someone else has had to replace discs too and not just me.

Spoke to JC's and they were really good, explained everything so I'm happy with what's been done. Even got the service book stamped now.

ianking
29th April 2009, 02:41 PM
That's not far off mine then as just over 20000 miles. It's good to know someone else has had to replace discs too and not just me.

Spoke to JC's and they were really good, explained everything so I'm happy with what's been done. Even got the service book stamped now.

John never changed his discs though, just his pads.

I have changed the front pads on a CooperD that had 33k on it and to be fair they really didnt need changed for another 4 or 5k but the owner wanted them done as he is a driving instructor and the car is used all day. The discs on that were fine.
The pads and retaining clips and backing plate grease was about £60 I think.

Ferengo
29th April 2009, 03:03 PM
John never changed his discs though, just his pads.

I have changed the front pads on a CooperD that had 33k on it and to be fair they really didnt need changed for another 4 or 5k but the owner wanted them done as he is a driving instructor and the car is used all day. The discs on that were fine.
The pads and retaining clips and backing plate grease was about £60 I think.

Ok, Will see how these discs fair and if they need replaced in another 20,000 miles then cause for concern.