PDA

View Full Version : warranty issues

GCA3N
28th April 2009, 05:04 AM
Need to ask a question for all you new car owners, does changing the exhaust on my new R56 void any warranty. I know the answer to this is probs no, but wanted a more definative answer.

KenL
28th April 2009, 07:59 PM
In theory a dealer could try to avoid a warranty repair on the engine if they could prove the non-standard component could be a contributor to a fault.

Scottie
28th April 2009, 08:04 PM
I changed just the back section of my exhaust and have had no problems to date.

However the second chap that bought one of our cars with the exhaust fitted did have problems IK will be able to tell you more.

Either or way with you buying a Cooper S I'd wait a few months until your happy the car is sound then put your exhaust on then.

GCA3N
28th April 2009, 08:16 PM
I changed just the back section of my exhaust and have had no problems to date.

However the second chap that bought one of our cars with the exhaust fitted did have problems IK will be able to tell you more.

Either or way with you buying a Cooper S I'd wait a few months until your happy the car is sound then put your exhaust on then.

My thoughts too, I spoken to Craig already

Craig
28th April 2009, 08:33 PM
I understand your concerns Grieg - thanks for the PM. ;)

That exact exhaust was on my car when the dealer fixed some warranty issues, therefore from my experience, there was no issue with it being on the car. :yes nod:

GCA3N
28th April 2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks Craig for that. I think i was being a bit hasty. Just don't want anything to go wrong. Won't be messing around with the cars performance parts for a while. Will get the alloys done first. wife wants me to get graphics done, Thinking about the vipers up and over, like baz's only white on the bonnet and boot and blue on the roof.

Craig
28th April 2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks Craig for that. I think i was being a bit hasty. Just don't want anything to go wrong. Won't be messing around with the cars performance parts for a while. Will get the alloys done first. wife wants me to get graphics done, Thinking about the vipers up and over, like baz's only white on the bonnet and boot and blue on the roof.

Jason and Lesley's First R56 had the same stripes done... ;)

GCA3N
28th April 2009, 10:11 PM
Jason and Lesley's First R56 had the same stripes done... ;)

Yeh Scottie found them for me, very nice. likey likey

Bazthemod
28th April 2009, 10:56 PM
Get the vipers taken into the round part of the badge rather than the wings... having them brought in just that bit closer looks much better.:thumbs up:

Just my opinion of course :p

zimbo
29th April 2009, 09:29 AM
Greig most garages will prob turn a blind eye to the exhaust as such but it would'nt do any harm to ask the dealer your going to be using what there position is on the subject? Wont do any harm. :thumbs up:

GCA3N
29th April 2009, 10:09 AM
Greig most garages will prob turn a blind eye to the exhaust as such but it would'nt do any harm to ask the dealer your going to be using what there position is on the subject? Wont do any harm. :thumbs up:

yeh good idea:thumbs up:

Gismo
29th April 2009, 10:20 AM
At the end of the day, when you fit your exhaust if your stereo packs in they cannot make any excuses on replacing it, but, if the cat breaks up you'll have a hard job or proving nthe new exhaust didn't cause it.

So, any mod can breach the MINI policy technically if your mod does not impact on the break down of a non related part no MINI dealer should make too much fuss

GCA3N
29th April 2009, 10:23 AM
At the end of the day, when you fit your exhaust if your stereo packs in they cannot make any excuses on replacing it, but, if the cat breaks up you'll have a hard job or proving nthe new exhaust didn't cause it.

So, any mod can breach the MINI policy technically if your mod does not impact on the break down of a non related part no MINI dealer should make too much fuss

Thanks Alan, going to wait a bit on that. On a brighter note got in touch with the graphic site sponsor who are doing new vipers for me, when i get back next trip.

Crombers
29th April 2009, 01:38 PM
I had my Playmini on my Coop whilst still in warranty & not one thing was ever said.

GCA3N
29th April 2009, 01:46 PM
I had my Playmini on my Coop whilst still in warranty & not one thing was ever said.

Interesting, will probs get it done in the future, just err on the side of caution just noo

Gismo
30th April 2009, 08:44 AM
I had a custom exhaust made by Birds Engineering, much like Stoney's now and i never once had any problems with warranty, add in the fact it had a BBR 240BHP conversion too and i always had my TLC performed ok and any other warranty work was carried out with no questions.

I cannot see any problems by fitting an exhaust to invalidate your warranty on almost every other part of your car :thumbs up: