PDA

View Full Version : new Camera Lens

Scottie
27th April 2009, 08:48 PM
Allan has been at me to give him the OK to buy a new camera Lens. He chops and changes his mind to which one he wants to buy.:frown::frown:

I've said yes to a 50mm prime focal lens 1.4 something or other that or the 1.8 and he can get another lens. So it's the 1.8 and another

So he's looking at a Sigma 200-500mm f2.8 ex dg only costing 19.3k:eek::eek::eek:

I DON"T THINK SO:frown::frown:

anyway I'm bidding on a Nikon 200-400mm f4 G VR AF-S IF ED on fleabay without him knowing as a wee surprise.

Is this a good lens?? as I know nothing about them:blush:

Andrew
27th April 2009, 09:21 PM
I bought my girlfriend a Canon 450D for her Christmas which she loves. Inevitably she now wants to move on a bit and would like a new lens but like you I was shocked at some of the prices.

As she can't make up her mind which size/type that she would like we've decided that nearer the time we might try the following company http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/

Their terms and conditions seem favourable with regards to the length of time you have the lenses and the prices seem a lot cheaper than some of the other sites.

There is a national company based in Glasgow who hire lenses but to be honest the prices just scared me.

Hope this helps.

Andy

AndyP & Lenore
27th April 2009, 09:26 PM
Fi, the 400mm at the end of the focal length is good, especially with a max stop of f4. The problem would be the shorter end, 200mm is still a fair old zoom, so he'll have trouble getting anything in that's close to him, unless of course he wants it to fill the image. It's a serious bit of kit and I'm sure he'd love it.

Speaking from our own experiences at Knockhill, Stephen and I often go to different places round the track because with his 100-400 he finds it tricky to do panning shots like at the hairpin, however with his 400 max zoom he gets some great shots of cars filling the frame. My new 28-300mm sport lens goes down to 28mm so panning shots are a doddle, but I don't get quite the same length as Stephen gets.

My new favourite lens is my f1.4 50mm canon lens, and the f1.8 is only one stop further on so he'll get great results from that. Really makes you think about your composition too, rather than just sliding the zoom on a short zoom lens.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
27th April 2009, 09:40 PM
.....we've decided that nearer the time we might try the following company http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/

Andy, that's a terrific web site. May come in very handy one day. I love the way the FAQ's are written: Lenses for hire FAQ (http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/questions-and-answers-3-w.asp#Deposits)

AndyP

Andrew
27th April 2009, 10:11 PM
It was one of those sites you find by accident, try to remember it at a later date and then spend ages trying to find again. This time I've added it to my favourites.

I thought that hiring would help reduce the gamble out of which lens to buy. Fiona (my girlfriend) is undecided about which type of lens to buy first; wide-angle or telephoto. Hiring would hopefully show her which lens she would get the most use of.

The only down side is that it does take away the 'surprise' element that Scottie was referring to.

Agree with you about the FAQ's.

Andy

Scottie
28th April 2009, 06:04 PM
:eek::Whistle:

Scottie
28th April 2009, 06:51 PM
:frown::frown: typical read my posts why don't you.

AndyP & Lenore
28th April 2009, 07:04 PM
:eek::Whistle:

I'm guessing this was Allan.:Whistle:

:frown::frown: typical read my posts why don't you.

And I'm guessing this was Fiona because Allan read this thread.:thud:

A.:D

Scottie
28th April 2009, 07:06 PM
aye your correct. Told him to go and type a reply on Zimbo's thread.

Pay back is sweet though.:knife: