PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu

AndyP & Lenore
27th April 2009, 06:28 PM
Will it blow over with relatively few deaths or turn into a major global population correction?

Swine Flu confirmed in Scotland - BBC News. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8020208.stm)

A.:sad:

Smitty
27th April 2009, 08:22 PM
Undecided how big it will become. Could be interesting...:Whistle:

Apparently we are in the best country in terms of preparation, which is always good news

Scottie
27th April 2009, 08:32 PM
cheap holidays to Mexico me thinks.:D

AndyP & Lenore
27th April 2009, 09:15 PM
cheap holidays to Mexico me thinks.:D

We're away to Orlando at the end of May - hoping it will have calmed down by then.

A.

MINI William
27th April 2009, 09:19 PM
Just heared on the radio that first cases are confirmed in britain

Craig
27th April 2009, 09:37 PM
aye it could be a busy time at my work.... :rolleyes::yes nod:

shaunbhoy67
27th April 2009, 10:02 PM
im thinking it could be quite bad but the authorities across the world seem to be reacting quite quickly so i think they will manage to contain it

GCA3N
27th April 2009, 10:43 PM

Are you refering to working with the pigs:Whistle:

Scottie
27th April 2009, 11:08 PM

just hope the wind is not blowing over your or my way Craig bit close to us this one for sure.

Mind you Falkirk and Swine Flu shouldn't be surprised.:Whistle:

Mini Ecosse
28th April 2009, 06:49 AM
Are you refering to working with the pigs:Whistle:

:lol::lol::lol:

Ferengo
28th April 2009, 11:14 AM
First UK case with deaths are couple who were honeymooning in Mexico.

AndyP & Lenore
28th April 2009, 11:23 AM
First UK case with deaths are couple who were honeymooning in Mexico.

Ferengo, mate, they're not dead yet.:hand: They're being treated in Hospital and "recovering well.":thumbs up:

A.:D

Ferengo
28th April 2009, 12:17 PM
Ferengo, mate, they're not dead yet.:hand: They're being treated in Hospital and "recovering well.":thumbs up:

That'll teach me, I read the headline and it said victims. Bloody press trying to make things look worse than they are. At least they're on the mend, I think it would be a bad way to go by starting your life together and then something like that happening. Remember that couple who got shot abroad? Always worse when it's honeymooners.

illegalhunter
28th April 2009, 12:43 PM
Vegitarians will be immune from it

N12 JLK
28th April 2009, 06:26 PM
Vegitarians will be immune from it

What pale skin

GCA3N
28th April 2009, 06:57 PM
Heard on the news that the Swine virus has actually not been detected in any pigs. Infact the virus is more a ****tail of the avian and human flu virus.

Scottie
28th April 2009, 07:02 PM
In case you want to know where the cases are:

Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=14.604847,27.773438&spn=139.156044,316.40625&z=2)

I don't know how often the map will be updated. Also, see the comments section on the left pane.

Here’s another one:

2009 Swine Flu Outbreak Map - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&source=embed&msa=0&msid=109496610648025582911.0004686892fbefe515012&ll=37.71859,-77.695312&spn=161.111019,360&z=2)

Scottie
28th April 2009, 10:09 PM
watching the news tonight. Think I'll get a face mask just in case.

GP BILLY
29th April 2009, 09:38 AM
watching the news tonight. Think I'll get a face mask just in case.

Some bigwig medical guy was on tv saying the mask's don't do
anything for stoping the scarey bug:yes nod::yes nod:

If so then why are other goverments given them out;)

Who do you trust:confused::confused:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
JUST HEARD THEY HAVE A CURE.... SPECIAL KIND OF

OINKMENT

C.Noble
29th April 2009, 11:59 AM
>
JUST HEARD THEY HAVE A CURE.... SPECIAL KIND OF

OINKMENT

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Why didnt I see that coming!

personally I think they are making a PIGS EAR out of the whole thing... but I had maybe better TROTTER on down to the doctors to get the all clear to stop me getting SOW worried about it!

I had better stop now cos I am BOARing you all!!!

:Whistle:

Knox18
29th April 2009, 12:26 PM
:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Why didnt I see that coming!

personally I think they are making a PIGS EAR out of the whole thing... but I had maybe better TROTTER on down to the doctors to get the all clear to stop me getting SOW worried about it!

I had better stop now cos I am BOARing you all!!!

:Whistle:

stop craig your killing me here :laugh::laugh::laugh: :Whistle:

GP BILLY
29th April 2009, 12:55 PM
My missus ran out of petrol, she rang me up and said...

"i'm scared to fill up because of this swine flu"
I said " you daft tw*t, it's in Mexico not Texaco":Whistle:

illegalhunter
29th April 2009, 09:15 PM
World health org have just raised the threat level to 5 level 6 is martial law

GCA3N
29th April 2009, 09:36 PM
Phase 3: An animal or human-animal influenza virus has caused sporadic cases or small clusters of disease in people, but has not resulted in human-to-human transmission sufficient to sustain community-level outbreaks.
During the first three phases, the WHO advises countries to "prepare the health system to scale up".

Phase 4: Human-to-human transmission of an animal or human-animal influenza virus able to sustain community-level outbreaks has been verified. Countries are advised to "activate contingency plans".

Phase 5: The same identified virus has caused sustained community-level outbreaks in two or more countries in one WHO region. A pandemic is officially under way.

Phase 6: In addition to the criteria defined in Phase 5, the same virus has caused sustained community level outbreaks in at least one other country in another WHO region.

During phases five and six, countries are advised to "implement contingency plans for health systems at all levels".
Post-peak period: Levels of pandemic influenza in most countries with adequate surveillance have dropped below peak levels. Countries are advised to "rest, restock resources, revise plans and rebuild essential services".
Post-pandemic period: Levels of influenza activity have returned to the levels seen for seasonal influenza in most countries with adequate surveillance. Countries are advised to "evaluate the response of the health system to the pandemic and share the lessons learned."
Source: World Health Organisation

Scottie
29th April 2009, 10:17 PM
well I'm not sure about this one. I will wait and see and I am not changing any of my routine in the short term, however I am concerned.

If it gets to a pandemic then just need to follow their advice as best as possible.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/74290b2c.jpg

AndyP & Lenore
29th April 2009, 11:30 PM
World health org have just raised the threat level to 5 level 6 is martial law

Phase 6: In addition to the criteria defined in Phase 5, the same virus has caused sustained community level outbreaks in at least one other country in another WHO region.

Hardly martial law, is it.:rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
30th April 2009, 12:20 AM
Wouldn't mind being in the mask production industry just now. Even if they are a bit useless for swine flu.

A.

The Dogfather
30th April 2009, 06:18 AM
The masks are really to stop you from getting it, more to stop you spreading it if you have.

AndyP & Lenore
30th April 2009, 09:15 AM
The masks are really to stop you from getting it, more to stop you spreading it if you have.

I'd still like to be in the mask production industry right now.:yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
30th April 2009, 09:26 AM
When things like this happen, I like to look ahead and guess/estimate/ponder/wonder etc, where we'll be in 6 months time.

Option 1. By the end of May a Pandemic has been announced by WHO, with the virus present in over 100 countries all over the world, with maybe 3 or 4 hundred deaths - maybe 10 or 20 of those in the UK. But the virus could well have died down, worldwide measure to mitigate the virus are working and new daily cases are in single digits. By the end of November, 6 weeks has passed with no reports of new cases whatsoever. Virus effectively contained and stopped in it's tracks - for now.

Option 2. By the end of May Pandemic announced by WHO, with the virus present in every country in the world, with maybe 1,000 deaths. The virus spreads rapidly within developing nations who have little or no resources to fight it. UK has maybe 1000 cases and a full-blown anti-viral programme is launched for every member of the population in infected areas. By the end of November Swine Flu has ravaged the globe - 200million infected, 10million deaths, some developing nations almost wiped out. 2million deaths in UK, anarchy breaks out, massive global depression begins, dogs and cats start living together for the first time.

Mankind succumbs to swine flu.

Womankind inherits the Earth.

I favour option 1, if I'm honest.

zimbo
30th April 2009, 10:00 AM
When things like this happen, I like to look ahead and guess/estimate/ponder/wonder etc, where we'll be in 6 months time.

Option 2. By the end of May Pandemic announced by WHO, with the virus present in every country in the world, with maybe 1,000 deaths. The virus spreads rapidly within developing nations who have little or no resources to fight it. UK has maybe 1000 cases and a full-blown anti-viral programme is launched for every member of the population in infected areas. By the end of November Swine Flu has ravaged the globe - 200million infected, 10million deaths, some developing nations almost wiped out. 2million deaths in UK, anarchy breaks out, massive global depression begins, dogs and cats start living together for the first time.

Guess who has been watching tooooooo many movies.... :rolleyes: :Whistle:

Mini Ecosse
30th April 2009, 01:04 PM
The answer to all this is to close all cinemas and stop people travelling to Orlando for their holidays :lol::lol::lol:

GP BILLY
30th April 2009, 01:13 PM
What a load of sh*te this swine flu is.......:argh::argh::argh:

MAN FLU IS A 20 TIMES WORSE

GP BILLY
30th April 2009, 05:23 PM
CURE

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/9049/daft%20pictures/image001-3.jpg

AndyP & Lenore
30th April 2009, 07:51 PM
ROFLMAO at Volvic's "cure". Absolute class.:lol::lol::lol:

A.

AndyP & Lenore
30th April 2009, 07:53 PM
Watched the news tonight and saw that poor young couple from Falkirk being released from hospital and having to be hidden away under blankets as they were thrown into cars. Thought to myself, "that's a real shame for that couple - having to hide from the media like that." Then the news reporter said they were being rushed away to their new agent - MAX CLIFFORD!!! So I thought, stuff them, they can cower under blankets all they like. Everyone's out to make a buck these days.:frown::frown:

A.:sad:

Scottie
30th April 2009, 08:16 PM
Gammon guys, give it a break, the guys in the chemists are only trying to bring home the bacon.:smilewinkgrin:.

Scottie
30th April 2009, 08:18 PM
One of my pals got swine flu but I believe he's been cured.

Scottie
30th April 2009, 08:20 PM
I called the NHS help line today but all I got was crackling ......

AndyP & Lenore
30th April 2009, 08:22 PM
ENOUGH!!!! You're crackling me up here.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Scottie
30th April 2009, 08:23 PM
Just won a holiday to Mexico!!

Can't go I'm F****ing PIG SICK:bigwave::bigwave:

Craig
30th April 2009, 09:21 PM
I know someone that lives in the same street as that couple and she says it is nuts... she can't get in or out of her drive easily and has to keep asking media to move their vehicles.. :rolleyes:

MINI William
30th April 2009, 09:48 PM

Option 1. By the end of May a Pandemic has been announced by WHO, with the virus present in over 100 countries all over the world, with maybe 3 or 4 hundred deaths - maybe 10 or 20 of those in the UK. But the virus could well have died down, worldwide measure to mitigate the virus are working and new daily cases are in single digits. By the end of November, 6 weeks has passed with no reports of new cases whatsoever. Virus effectively contained and stopped in it's tracks - for now.

To many episodes of survivors Andy???:smilewinkgrin:

AndyP & Lenore
30th April 2009, 11:01 PM
To many episodes of survivors Andy???:smilewinkgrin:

:confused:Never seen it.

Just my imagination running wild.

Scottie
30th April 2009, 11:16 PM
I am Legend.:thumbs up:

Livi
1st May 2009, 10:04 AM
Got an E-mail from my otherhalfs dad who lives in Canada, and he said holiday to his next month might not happen as there closing the american/canadian border :sad:

things could change so ill take it as it comes

AndyP & Lenore
1st May 2009, 10:14 AM
Got an E-mail from my otherhalfs dad who lives in Canada, and he said holiday to his next month might not happen as there closing the american/canadian border :sad:

things could change so ill take it as it comes

I'm not convinced the Canadians or the Americans will want the border closed, so although I don't live there and I wouldn't want to question what your otherhalfs dad says, could this just be media scaremongering? Shutting Borders is a biggie. They haven't event shut the border between Mexico and the USA yet. Or have they?:confused:

A.

Livi
1st May 2009, 12:50 PM
I'm not convinced the Canadians or the Americans will want the border closed, so although I don't live there and I wouldn't want to question what your otherhalfs dad says, could this just be media scaremongering? Shutting Borders is a biggie. They haven't event shut the border between Mexico and the USA yet. Or have they?:confused:

A.

Not sure Andy, its just probably what he has seen on his news channel, im not fussed about it, i think there worrying over bugger all really.

mexico aint the nicest place as they eat of the streets and mud etc... and flee across to Texas, in which case, is why there showing some signs of it there.

AndyP & Lenore
3rd May 2009, 09:12 PM
This little piggy went to market,
This little piggy stayed at home,
This little piggy had roast beef,
This little piggy had none.
And this little piggy had influenza A virus subtype hemagglutinin protein 1 neuraminidase protein 1.

AndyP & Lenore
3rd May 2009, 09:19 PM
tbt_PuVAVTU

X30YES
11th May 2009, 08:07 PM
Swine flu epidemic..................hits ibrox as 7500 celtic fans are pig sick

:rolleyes:

Livi
12th May 2009, 03:17 PM
the slogan!!

Catch it, bin it, kill it?