PDA

View Full Version : My MINI's been cloned

CooperTrooper
27th April 2009, 06:16 PM
:sad:

hi all, not posted here in a while!

got a letter from Lothian and Borders finest at the weekend, claiming I had went through a red light last Tuesday. Typing mistake I thought as I havent been in Edinburgh this year, never mind last week.

After several phone calls today, it transpires some other MCS is cutting around edinburgh with my regy plates :ragin:

after emailing them pics of my car, the scammer's MCS is identical, except he said the rear lights were different (pre-facelift?) and it had a sunroof wheresas I dont.

So can any edin MINI drivers keep an eye out for SD54 ODW, Dark Silver Black Roof MCS.

Anyone else have experience of this?? :argh:

AndyP & Lenore
27th April 2009, 06:25 PM
What a nightmare for you.:argh:

Never experienced anything like this.

Up in Edinburgh area most weeks so will keep an eye out.

A.

GCA3N
27th April 2009, 06:59 PM
I guess this is why we should cover our plates on the web site. I would say however there are loads of ways to do this. You can ask the police for the pics, this should show the driver at the time, to prove is was not you. Oh and by the way i am the worlds worst at not covering my plate details

The Dogfather
27th April 2009, 07:11 PM
Why look at a website when you can look at a local supermarket's car park? You could even get the plates without having to buy them there.

Sorry to hear about the cloning though.

Bazthemod
27th April 2009, 07:20 PM
Yeh blanking plates i always think is a bit pointless when your car can be seen anytime with them ... if people want your details they will get them. Scary but true, i recently just had a grand drained out my bank account as someone managed to obtain my card details and ordered loads of train tickets! :eek:

CooperTrooper
27th April 2009, 07:26 PM
Dont think i've got any pics online with the regy anyways :confused: can only assume its been noted from a supermarket / outside house etc. . .

I also think maybe sites like www.askmid.com (http://www.askmid.com) where you can check current insurance details, other gov one for road tax too i think, ensuring your cloned car is fully ticketed and unlikely to be stopped by the police!! much as i like looking up my old cars on these sites, they are probably a car cloners best tool! :argh:

Ivano
27th April 2009, 08:57 PM
That is terrible...

At least now the Police should be on the look out for the Cloner and hopefully catch them soon enough.

shaunbhoy67
27th April 2009, 09:53 PM
that is unbelievable i have never seen this or heard of it before sorry to hear bout that mate sure the police will catch up with him soon though! :thumbs up:

GCA3N
27th April 2009, 09:59 PM
that is unbelievable i have never seen this or heard of it before sorry to hear bout that mate sure the police will catch up with him soon though! :thumbs up:

It is actually alot more common than you think, heard of this a few times while i was a cop. Does'nt normally happen to cars like mini's though, tended to be more bog standard cars.

Gismo
27th April 2009, 10:02 PM
Happens a lot in Londaon due to the congestion charge ;)

Forbes
27th April 2009, 10:04 PM
Think most of our cars are different though so hopefully it shouldn't happen. I hope they catch him/her though