PDA

View Full Version : Weird Rattle

Ferengo
22nd April 2009, 10:38 AM
Driving home last night and noticed an unhealthy rattle coming from the back drivers side. Can't locate exactly where it is though. Only happens when the car is going over rougher ground like cobbles or a pothole. Any idea what it may be?

Craig
22nd April 2009, 12:46 PM
a loose top mount maybe or have you checked your wheel studs...?

Ferengo
22nd April 2009, 12:58 PM
a loose top mount maybe or have you checked your wheel studs...?

Cheers, I'll check the studs but what's the top mount?

Craig
22nd April 2009, 01:11 PM
Cheers, I'll check the studs but what's the top mount?

it is normally located in the boot (near the wheel arch) and it is where the top of the suspension is secured. It is unlikely to be that, but you never know. Have a quick look under the car and just make sure that there isn't something loose...

other than that, I would get it into the garage.. ;)

Ferengo
22nd April 2009, 01:13 PM
it is normally located in the boot (near the wheel arch) and it is where the top of the suspension is secured. It is unlikely to be that, but you never know. Have a quick look under the car and just make sure that there isn't something loose...

other than that, I would get it into the garage.. ;)

Cheer man. Am on my lunch in 15 so will check then. Thanks :thumbs up:

GCA3N
22nd April 2009, 02:03 PM
I have heard of 5 people this week with broken springs. I had this before and that is what is was. A small section of the spring had broken off and was lying in the spring holder. Took me weeks to find it, worth a look.

Ferengo
22nd April 2009, 03:00 PM
Craig, Had a look and everything seems fine. Greig, I will take a look if I can at the springs, is it as straight forward as just looking or do I have to remove something to see the springs (I'm totally useless I know :D)?

GCA3N
22nd April 2009, 03:41 PM
Just look under the wheel arch. If you put your hand under and feel where the bottom of the spring is, if it's broken it should be fairly simple to feel.

Ferengo
22nd April 2009, 03:54 PM
Cool, Will try when on my break. Cheers.

Scottie
22nd April 2009, 06:10 PM
I had a weird clonk coming from the front left side of my car when coming to a stop or when taking off only started after the the run at the weekend on the road home.

I moaned about it to Allan all Sunday night, drove to my work Monday the clonk got worse so he took the car in the afternoon to check turned out I had loose bolts on both front wheels. The bolts were checked a couple weeks back but he had not put them to the correct torque required for the R56 which is a 150nm, now all done and checked and the clonk has gone.

Mini Ecosse
22nd April 2009, 06:50 PM
I had a weird clonk coming from the front left side of my car when coming to a stop or when taking off only started after the the run at the weekend on the road home.

I moaned about it to Allan all Sunday night, drove to my work Monday the clonk got worse so he took the car in the afternoon to check turned out I had loose bolts on both front wheels. The bolts were checked a couple weeks back but he had not put them to the correct torque required for the R56 which is a 150nm, now all done and checked and the clonk has gone.

Phew close call.
What song were you singing at the weekend, was it "Three Wheels On My Wagon"?

Stephen

GCA3N
22nd April 2009, 07:25 PM
That is shocking, lucky nothing worse happened

Scottie
22nd April 2009, 08:02 PM
yeah considering I said to him more than once are you sure my wheel bolts are on tight.:frown::frown:

Scottie
22nd April 2009, 08:22 PM
Phew close call.
What song were you singing at the weekend, was it "Three Wheels On My Wagon"?

Stephen

music was off and as you can imagine, I kept (shouting) saying to Allan at every roundabout and junction

"do you hear that"

it was his fault no matter what the problem was.:blush:

Ferengo
23rd April 2009, 11:13 AM
Have booked it on for monday. Have advised them of the possible causes and they'll take it from there :thumbs up:.

GCA3N
23rd April 2009, 01:34 PM
Did you have a feel about the rear spring?

Ferengo
23rd April 2009, 03:05 PM
Did you have a feel about the rear spring?

I tried but I could feel any spring

Ferengo
27th April 2009, 04:30 PM
Ok, SO Diagnosis was the bushings and the anti-roll bar had gone. Fixed under warranty, Needs new brake pads and discs, also needs new wipers. :frown::frown::frown:

Fester
27th April 2009, 10:28 PM
mmmmm wierd rattles are this weeks guess the problem. After the run last week I had a knocking noise coming from the rear drivers side I too have checked the spring, tightened my wheel nuts, turns out the brake pad is moving, its sligthly loose, looks like hardly any wear on it. Ahh the fun of owning a mini.

GCA3N
27th April 2009, 10:37 PM
mmmmm wierd rattles are this weeks guess the problem. After the run last week I had a knocking noise coming from the rear drivers side I too have checked the spring, tightened my wheel nuts, turns out the brake pad is moving, its sligthly loose, looks like hardly any wear on it. Ahh the fun of owning a mini.

That is a strange one dude, pad should not be moving. On a lighter note i have had the strangest rattle in my car for the past week. could not put my finger on it. It sounded like the typical rattle/squeek that R50's tend to have but this was new. Spent all last week trying to find it. Eventually coming home from knockhill i found when i pressed on the passenger rear floor it stopped. well i could not understand. I was out today with the wife and said to her she looked about while I was driving, she than pulled the bottle of fanta in the middle cup holder out and it stopped. What an arse, I cannot believe it was a bottle of juice causing this.....I am a fool:eek:

shaunbhoy67
27th April 2009, 10:49 PM
That is a strange one dude, pad should not be moving. On a lighter note i have had the strangest rattle in my car for the past week. could not put my finger on it. It sounded like the typical rattle/squeek that R50's tend to have but this was new. Spent all last week trying to find it. Eventually coming home from knockhill i found when i pressed on the passenger rear floor it stopped. well i could not understand. I was out today with the wife and said to her she looked about while I was driving, she than pulled the bottle of fanta in the middle cup holder out and it stopped. What an arse, I cannot believe it was a bottle of juice causing this.....I am a fool:eek:

hahaha :smilewinkgrin: it happens to the best of us :yes nod::D

Ferengo
28th April 2009, 12:22 AM
Oh it gets better.

They also told me my breaks were needing done. Not wanting to pay dealer prices I said I needed to speak to the wife. Well I picked the car up and they'd done the brakes. Hands up though they admitted fault. Got new break pads, discs and window wipers at cost price, no vat, no labor, charge and they forgot to charge me for the bottle of oil and nice case :D.

Any problems I've had with JC's are now forgotten. Though I did go in and they said "Ah Mr Hill" and the other guy "The man that drives too fast". So I guess the rumor about swiping the key fob at the front desk and finding out how the driver drives is actually true :blush:.

Ferengo
28th April 2009, 12:24 AM

In saying that mine was rattling and I found the wife had put a penny in the door shelf and another time she'd put a hair clip in, drove me bloody mad till I found them :ragin: :p.