PDA

View Full Version : R56 Improvements

KenL
17th April 2009, 08:10 PM
Just thought I'd post some of the small changes that are in my late 08 built S compared with my Dec 06 Cooper.

1. SPORT button - did not have this before. Not noticed any difference in throttle response but the steering does weight up by quite a bit. Not sure I would spec this as I think the standard settings are fine.

2. Auto start-stop. A bit weird at first but well worth it. Driving across Edi today it probably switched the car off for a good few minutes.

3. Storage net stuff - really worthwhile. A wee net on the passenger side and three contraptions in the boot, really like these.

4. "Secret" storage compartment in dash - worth while if you want to hide something away.

5. Adjustable rear seat. There are now two settings for the position of the rear seats. Worthwhile if you are trying to fit a suitcase in etc.

6. New door rubber seal design. In my last car the windows chattered/squeaked a lot against the rubber seals. I used to apply Gummipflege rubber treatment to stop this. These seals were smooth, the later ones are rough and textured, no doubt to stop this, well done MINI.

7. Glove box - now more damped when it drops.

8. You can adjust the volume of the warning "gong".

That's all I can think of, will add anything else I discover:yes nod:

9. The change gear advisor! I suppose this is useful if you are trying to drive as economically as possible.

10. The warning "gong" is a different tone now.

11. Electric windows - now one touch up on both sides.

12. Window motors are more powerful as they raise/lower quicker than before.

camjay
17th April 2009, 08:57 PM
Hi Ken.

Although I don't have a Cooper S (would love one though), I've recently got a Cooper D. It took me a while to get used to some of the new extras but I really like it. My husband keeps moaning about the fuel economy feature, but I'm getting used to it and I kept trying to put the key in the ignition for about a month!! The amount of torque from the D took me by surprise - its as nippy as hell. :thumbs up:

In saying that, I had an R50 when mini relaunched a few years ago and there are some things which I miss. Although the difference is only slight, I much prefer the look of the older mini and find that the interior on this generation of mini is not as good quality. I had the chrome line interior with the R50, as I do with this one, but there is no comparison, the quality was much better on the R50. I think the interior of my new mini is very plasticky and nowhere near as good quality as it used to be?

As I said, I don't have a Cooper S so the interior of your car may be slightly different and I don't know if my fellow mini drivers will agree with me. In saying that and despite my moans, its still a brilliant car ;)

illegalhunter
17th April 2009, 09:10 PM
They so need to do something with the interior plastics. Iam glad you like your new motor tho

The Dogfather
17th April 2009, 09:13 PM
They so need to do something with the interior plastics.

Eh? From a Civic owner! Compared to the Civic the MINI has excellent interior plastics, my Civic feels like it was built by airfix.

I think the R56 has far better interior build quality than my old R50.

camjay
18th April 2009, 09:25 AM
Eh? From a Civic owner! Compared to the Civic the MINI has excellent interior plastics, my Civic feels like it was built by airfix.

I think the R56 has far better interior build quality than my old R50.

That's really interesting, because I would totally disagree with you there. But hey! Everyone has their own opinion on what they like and don't like about their mini! :thumbs up:

MINI William
18th April 2009, 09:44 AM
I much prefer the interior in the R56 to the R50/53 IMHO :D

The Dogfather
18th April 2009, 09:52 AM
maybe the post 04s were better than the earlier ones

KenL
18th April 2009, 06:15 PM
The interior of my 2002 ONE was absolutely awful. Rattles from just about every place imaginable.

Stewart
18th April 2009, 06:30 PM
I take it this is the exact same as my late 57 Cooper.

1. SPORT button – Personally it came with my car, I’d have loved the DSC that now comes as standard instead but not really used it. Switched it on a few times and like you said the steering is heavier and I cant see any throttle difference. Although you may have to push it to find this out…Don’t think I’ve been over 6K revs.:confused:

2. Auto start-stop – This I love and got used to it right away. Apart from when the car warms up or its below three degrees its always used and I’d even say I’ve mastered it. Just remember the new cars charges on coasting and uses no fuel. Its better to coast than go into a neutral roll. :thumbs up:

3. Storage net stuff – Yeah very handy the one in the passenger footwell. :thumbs up:

4. "Secret" storage compartment in dash – Only found this on the day I got the car………..:blush:

5. Adjustable rear seat. Did not know this…must take a look at my coop.

8. You can adjust the volume of the warning "gong". – it can go high……….bong bong…………:D

Johnleiper
21st April 2009, 10:35 PM
The interior of my 2002 ONE was absolutely awful. Rattles from just about every place imaginable.

lol i second that! especially at the top of the dash....

the whole dash goes together in somthing like 6 seconds at the factory tho so doesnt suprise me:rolleyes:

Stewart
21st April 2009, 10:50 PM
Don’t know if the old Mini’s did this but if you hold down your unlock button after the lock opens the windows open………looks great walking to your car on a hot day or opening the car on the drive two minutes before you get in…………:cool:

doogz__
22nd April 2009, 03:47 PM
I find the "Sport" button in our Cooper S makes a big difference to the throttle response. Try driving with it on for a bit, like a few days, then stick it off, you'll notice it then. It's most noticeable when pulling away, especially with traction control off.

ianking
22nd April 2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah I notice a huge difference with the sport button on.
I used to notice it a bit with my R56 S but with my R56 JCW the difference is huge. The car is so much more alive due to the throttle being so much more responsive. I just automatically switch it on everytime I start up now. I wish it could de-fault to on.

Stewart
23rd April 2009, 10:11 AM
Might be a Traction control thing or the brute force of the S or Work’s…..I feel it does nothing apart from stiffen the steering in my cooper..I cant see difference apart from that… but I will emit I’ve only had it on a few times.

ianking
23rd April 2009, 10:25 AM
the sport button does not alter the traction control at all as that has a seperate button.
It may be something to do with the over boost on the turbo though.

Big Gordy
23rd April 2009, 10:40 AM
Don’t know if the old Mini’s did this but if you hold down your unlock button after the lock opens the windows open………looks great walking to your car on a hot day or opening the car on the drive two minutes before you get in…………:cool:

The old mini did this as well:Whistle:
You had 2 choices......open the windows or open the boot:thumbs up: