PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads for r53 Cooper S

totalhun
10th April 2009, 06:15 PM
i need new brake pads and was just wondering what a general improvement on the standards would be?

GCA3N
10th April 2009, 06:31 PM
green stuff pads are really good:thumbs up:

Gaz-Muir
13th April 2009, 10:42 AM
I could do with getting better pads aswell, i cooked mine the other week and they just arent the same now! :sad:

If your going for EBC get RedStuff..

GCA3N
13th April 2009, 01:15 PM
I could do with getting better pads aswell, i cooked mine the other week and they just arent the same now! :sad:

If your going for EBC get RedStuff..

:idea:With all due respect;), there is no requirment for red stuff pads on a Mini, with the possible exeption of Gismo's. even Greenstuff are slightly OTT unless you have a really heavy right foot. :thumbs up:

Gaz-Muir
13th April 2009, 01:18 PM
I haven't used either on a Mini, but on previous track cars the greenstuff pads were a waste of money and the redstuff pads were amazing.

They didnt need warmed up to be decent either, although they did improve with heat.

Redstuff, theyre better and the same price. Makes sense.

:moonie:

GCA3N
13th April 2009, 01:22 PM
I haven't used either on a Mini, but on previous track cars the greenstuff pads were a waste of money and the redstuff pads were amazing.

They didnt need warmed up to be decent either, although they did improve with heat.

Redstuff, theyre better and the same price. Makes sense.

:moonie:

She does'nt have a track car:hand:. And you are right there is little or no difference, only that she will be changing them every 5000 miles. The redstuffs are amazing but there is a reason for that. It's like tyres the softer compond the better the grip. but you have to replace more often.

Gaz-Muir
13th April 2009, 09:49 PM
Never realised it was a girl! :argh:

In that case, standard will be fine eh. :p

Oh, and Red Stuff are hard compound. Wear your discs as quick as they wear themselves. :eek:

Scottie
13th April 2009, 10:05 PM
and what difference will it make being a girl!!!:hand::hand::p:p

Gismo
13th April 2009, 10:14 PM
pulls up a chair, opens a bag of crisps :popcorn: :beer:

Gaz-Muir
13th April 2009, 10:30 PM
and what difference will it make being a girl!!!:hand::hand::p:p

None whatsoever, obviously! :hand::knife:

pulls up a chair, opens a bag of crisps :popcorn: :beer:

Hahah, brilliant! :popcorn:

totalhun
13th April 2009, 11:23 PM
cheers guy,looks like green stuff might be the way to go.

S7JGW
14th April 2009, 08:05 PM
Ive had Standard, Greenstuff and Redstuff. Can really recomend Red stuff but wasent impressed with Greenstuff. Still alot of fade from greenstuff, just about the same as standard but a bit less dust.
Just my opinion
Jim

Gaz-Muir
14th April 2009, 08:07 PM
Told you so! :moonie:

Greenstuff is a waste of money.

Morri7
14th April 2009, 09:30 PM
I got a set of pads from GT Tuning for the Spiroslot discs I have. They seem to a be bit better than the standard ones (but that has a lot to do with the disc upgrade too I suspect:rolleyes:) The thing that I can't get over is the fact there is hardly any dust from them.
Not tried any EBC pads on a Mini but my Dad has some Greenstuff pads on his Lotus and they seem to take quite a bit of warming up before they work well.

GCA3N
14th April 2009, 09:47 PM
Told you so! :moonie:

Greenstuff is a waste of money.

:hand:

totalhun
15th April 2009, 10:38 PM
hmmmmmm.......red or green....decisions decisions. lol

MrMischief
15th April 2009, 10:50 PM
I'm amazed to hear that people like EBC Greenstuff, I've tried them in the past and they fade before most OEM pads, IMO they're a budget pad only suitable for shopping trips :lol: I had Yellowstuff for KH trackdays and they were fine once warmed up but would be useless for the road.

I'd go with Mintex pads, the old 1144's were fade free for road use and had a much sharper response than OEM (and much much much sharper than Greenstuff :hand:). They do pads for the R53's too but I think they've changed their branding codes now.

Gaz-Muir
15th April 2009, 11:11 PM
1144s are a great track pad, but are double the price (and more i think?) than Redstuff pads..

Redstuff are great from cold and better when hot, and are reasonably priced.

Surely original BMW Mini pads will be good enough for the road? Unless thats what my car still has fitted, i cooked them and now they aren't half as good as they were before!

:popcorn:

totalhun
16th April 2009, 12:22 PM
could anyone recommend a good website to buy off? i was looking at a set on ebay, vented front disks, rear disks and mintex pads front and back a for £150, but would probably just prefer to get some decent/good pads just now.

GCA3N
17th April 2009, 08:10 PM
I bought drilled and grooved discs(vented on front) with OEM pads for £130 from ebay. The difference in the braking is amazing alot less brake fade than before, big difference. I fitted them myself, it is not too hard. Can give you the seller if you want.:thumbs up: