PDA

View Full Version : Any pointers on a Personalised plate?

Stewart
10th April 2009, 05:21 PM
Right basically buying a plate for my cooper Just the usual Letter, single number with my initials.

As a few of you have done this is there any pointers?

I know I’ve got to tell the insurance but was told also to get them in writing to acknowledge this that 'In the event of a total loss claim...' whereby they effectively buy your vehicle (or what's left of it) off you due to theft, or as a 'right off', '...the registration mark will remain your property'.

I take it I buy the plate follow the DVLA guide. I totally forgot about the new tax disc needed.-give the insurance the date I'm putting on the plate.

In Scotland do I need to go to a registered plate Seller like down south?

Any pointers?

Cheers
Stew.

Gismo
10th April 2009, 05:58 PM
Best bet is to trawl the DVLA site, see what you want and simply buy it.

You will have to go to a certified office for transferring the plate over, usually takes about 10 mins and they give you a new tax disc, you get a month to put on the new number plates, but only put on with the new tax disc.

Hamish
10th April 2009, 06:59 PM
hey, I would also recommend buying from DVLA, I was looking at plates a while back and sites like NewReg have the same plates listed, but its cheaper doing it through the dvla in my opinion.

When I bought mine I called them up and asked them what I needed to do etc, told them it was my first time (ooooh errr lol) and they were really helpful...

Go for it... if I can do it, anyone can haha

Craig
10th April 2009, 08:47 PM
yeah, buy from the DVLA as they are cheaper, plus the transfer fee is included. :thumbs up:

There is a DVLA office in Glasgow and Edinburgh for you to attached your plate to your car. :smilewinkgrin:

Stewart
10th April 2009, 10:31 PM
Done!!

DVLA was the only way.....Missed out on V1 SWR by two days...:ragin: but got V3 SWR.

Thanks for the advice, thinking about taking the Mini to Europe probably next year anyone know if the plates with “SCO” are legal over there or do I need GB………………….

Craig
11th April 2009, 08:39 AM
Done!!

DVLA was the only way.....Missed out on V1 SWR by two days...:ragin: but got V3 SWR.

Thanks for the advice, thinking about taking the Mini to Europe probably next year anyone know if the plates with “SCO” are legal over there or do I need GB………………….

If going to europe, you need to show GB, however you can have a sticker on the car somewhere. The SCO plates are currently legal (to a point) however there is talk of making them illegal if they have anything there other than the Euro flag.. :argh:

GCA3N
11th April 2009, 09:13 AM
remember and change your insurance docs. Just a point though, my insurance said they would charge me an admin charge of £25. I was fortunate to only have a month left on my poilcy, so i said ok then just cancel my policy and i'll take my buisness elsewhere. They changed their opinion soon and offered it free. So i guess what i'm saying is haggle them, i mean 25 pound to change one thing on the policy...ye right

Stewart
11th April 2009, 09:49 AM
So the EU plate is probably the way to go although I like the “Sco” plates. Its bad enough you have to have one of those yellow reflective vests in france now in your car……

I might just get the SCO plates and get a GB sticker for the back if I go.

Greg as for the insurance they tried that trick when I bought the car and said £25 cancelation fee and I argued I was not cancelling but buying a new car and to transfer….”new car new policy”….. “well can I speak to a manager”. Said “well if you charge a fee for cancelling then don’t bother I will insure with someone else.”

Luckily my insurance will only have a few months left by the time I get round to getting the plate on so we will see.

When you buy the actual plates do they match the screw holes to the old plates or are they just standard?:blush:

Gismo
11th April 2009, 10:47 AM
When you buy the actual plates do they match the screw holes to the old plates or are they just standard?:blush:No holes on your new plates, but, if you use the old ones as a template you can then drill the holes easily enough :thumbs up:

GCA3N
11th April 2009, 12:50 PM
No holes on your new plates, but, if you use the old ones as a template you can then drill the holes easily enough :thumbs up:

like alan says put the old plate on top of the new one then pen where the hole is onto the new plate. Use a drill to drill through the new plate. Remember and put your new plate on a piece of wood or something like that when drilling through:thumbs up:

leighj
11th April 2009, 02:59 PM
like alan says put the old plate on top of the new one then pen where the hole is onto the new plate. Use a drill to drill through the new plate. Remember and put your new plate on a piece of wood or something like that when drilling through:thumbs up:

or use double sided tape to stick them on! thats what i have always done with mine

theres also a dvla office in dundee, thats where i went to put my private plate onto the mini

i also have another plate for sale if anyone is interested! LOL its L77 MCT :D

Hamish
11th April 2009, 04:06 PM
yeah I would do what leigh does and tape them on, thats what I did with mine, I think it looks nice than screwing them on... make sure you get plenty tape on and clean the surfaces before you apply the tape. Then I left mine in the garage for a few hours to make sure it had "bonded" lol... bumper and plate got on like a house on fire and they are best of friends hahaha

Stewart
11th April 2009, 05:12 PM
Cheers all!

It will probably be in May when I get round to putting the plate on.

The garage that I took my Honda for years does plates its local and I know the owner well, I was going ask him to drill the holes. Car I've seen him a few times taking off the old plates and doing the new one's there and then.

Crombers
14th April 2009, 10:54 AM
Dont' need to drill any holes, use the double sided tape, it's much easier.

Scottie
14th April 2009, 07:58 PM
So the EU plate is probably the way to go although I like the “Sco” plates. Its bad enough you have to have one of those yellow reflective vests in france now in your car……

I might just get the SCO plates and get a GB sticker for the back if I go.

Greg as for the insurance they tried that trick when I bought the car and said £25 cancelation fee and I argued I was not cancelling but buying a new car and to transfer….”new car new policy”….. “well can I speak to a manager”. Said “well if you charge a fee for cancelling then don’t bother I will insure with someone else.”

Luckily my insurance will only have a few months left by the time I get round to getting the plate on so we will see.

When you buy the actual plates do they match the screw holes to the old plates or are they just standard?:blush:

I've always had the SCO plates on the van and car.

The Caravan Club issue us with nice SCO sticker for the vehicles.

Stewart
22nd April 2009, 06:27 PM
Just to add, the plates are on. Ended up with a Sco and flag on the side. :thumbs up:

If only you knew me, I was bricking it just removing those plastic screw covers. Made a wee boob with the front plate but gave it a wee adjust and once the screw was in with the cover nice and tight you cant see it. The old plate was a balls hair to the left and rather than fix it just used the old plate as the template.

Well pleased, decided as I was in town to pop to the DVLA and as the girl gave me the new tax disc on the spot I thought what the hell. ;)

doogz__
23rd April 2009, 11:32 AM
What about the MOT?

When i bought the Clio, the private plate was taken back off so the owner could keep it, and the DVLA issued a new MOT with the new reg on it, so i take it it will be the same when you put a private plate on it?

Forbes
23rd April 2009, 11:49 AM
Yeh it is, because it is still the same car that passed the MOT. If SAV112 has even had a MOT yet

doogz__
23rd April 2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah but if you take it to the post office to tax it, it'll have the wrong reg on it?

Forbes
23rd April 2009, 02:42 PM
I am not 100% sure how it all works but everything gets correct so all the paper work matches the new reg.

Stewart
23rd April 2009, 08:55 PM
I take it also they would re-issue like the Tax disc a new M.O.T certificate…As my wee Cooper is a 57 plate its not got an M.O.T yet so it just did not figure.

Apart for the instant Tax disc over the counter, I’ll be getting a New V5 owners certificate and new insurance documents with the new Reg.

They took the V5 off me at the DVLA.

Craig
23rd April 2009, 10:10 PM
if you take all the documents to the dvla they will take your V5 off your and give you a certificate to tell you what the reg is so you can get new plates made. They will post out the new V5 normally in a couple of weeks with the new reg. Also if you have an MOT, they will normally stamp it and write on what the new reg is and give you it back. They will also re-issue a tax disc with the new reg on it. :yes nod:

hope that answers it all... ;)

done this about 15 times... :rolleyes:

Stewart
24th April 2009, 05:08 PM
The tax disc had slipped my mind……………I had forgot it was related to the Reg…..although I would have twigged when I was reading the “how to” Form.