PDA

View Full Version : Interior rattles - potential fix?

antihero3000
9th April 2009, 10:52 AM
Hi all,

My Cooper S is currently in the garage having a number of interior rattles looked at.

As a cherished '06 car with less than 9k on it I was surprised to hear that the service manager was replacing the whole top of the dash.

He mentioned that the original part was very poorly designed and that he replaced all of these with a re-designed part if the car was still in warranty.

Apparently after 6 days in the garage this hasn't completely solved the problem and they are now looking at replacing the left downpipe, which I asked them to fix when I booked the car in!

Anyone else having similar woes?

GCA3N
9th April 2009, 10:58 AM
check through the threads remember reading about this a few weeks ago, as a number of folks have the same thing.

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=17130

antihero3000
10th April 2009, 10:18 AM
Finally got my rattle free car back yesterday. Apparently a cracked speedo ring was the culprit along with the downpipe and dash top :rolleyes:

Really looking forward to enjoying the car as i've only had it a 6 weeks and the rattles have stopped enjoyment for most of those.

Although half asleep I did notice something wasn't quite right on start up. Half a mile down the road and i realise my speedo is broken!

Now reading at minus 25mph! So at 30mph it registers as 5mph.

Sigh.

Going back in today with a free courtesy car this time :ragin:

antihero3000
13th April 2009, 02:27 PM
Finally my pride and joy is 100% rattle free!

The less said about Douglas Park service the better :frown:

Aberdeen Al
13th April 2009, 09:36 PM
Strut braces are great for curing rattles ;)

antihero3000
14th April 2009, 10:03 AM
Strut braces are great for curing rattles ;)

I've heard that! Any recommendations?

Gismo
14th April 2009, 10:11 AM

GTT braces look brilliant and actually do what they are meant to do :thumbs up:
You could get them fitted at the same time as the exhaust :Whistle:

antihero3000
14th April 2009, 01:30 PM
GTT braces look brilliant and actually do what they are meant to do :thumbs up:
You could get them fitted at the same time as the exhaust :Whistle:

Haha very subtle ;)

Bit of a trek for the fitting, i'm amazed you drive all that way to get the work done!

Audio Advice
14th April 2009, 07:19 PM
Rattles are a genuine pain in the a&%e so I appreciate your pain :smilewinkgrin:

We have added lots of audio to various models of cars but one of our most popular upgrades is to utilise the original quarter panel location in the new Mini and when we do so it just generates rattles in the plastic quarter panel. To eradicate this we use Dynamats Dynaliner range which is great for panel rattle. It sandwiches between the trim panel and the metalwork and has proven very effective for our purposes :thumbs up:

Rattles are the devil :argh:

Aberdeen Al
15th April 2009, 08:27 PM

I had all 4 GTT braces on my MCS although the top front one solves the majority (if not all) of dashboard creaks & groans.

antihero3000
16th April 2009, 08:38 AM
Rattles are a genuine pain in the a&%e so I appreciate your pain :smilewinkgrin:

We have added lots of audio to various models of cars but one of our most popular upgrades is to utilise the original quarter panel location in the new Mini and when we do so it just generates rattles in the plastic quarter panel. To eradicate this we use Dynamats Dynaliner range which is great for panel rattle. It sandwiches between the trim panel and the metalwork and has proven very effective for our purposes :thumbs up:

Rattles are the devil :argh:

This is turning into an expensive post! Out of curiosity what would the fitting cost be for an HK system into a standard 06 Cooper S?