PDA

View Full Version : Tennis

AndyP & Lenore
7th April 2009, 07:06 PM
Anyone else following the ATP World Tour this year.

You guys like your fitba' and rugby but I've just never had any interest in those sports. I was always last to get "picked" at School - As I explained to one of my mates, he didn't PICK me he was STUCK with me.

So, for me the sport is Tennis. I just love watching the sport. Always have, even before the days of Henman and more recently Murray. But Murray has certainly rekindled my love of the game, I've subscribed to www.tennistv.com so I can watch all the major ATP matches live on any PC.

Despite the fact he has virtually no personality, he's an amazing player. I Would tip him to go No.2 in the world by the end of the year. Currently number 4 just behind Djokovic.

Any other tennis fans in the house?

A.

euan
8th April 2009, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't say avid, but I don't mind watching the game and, like you, Murray has ignited my interest so that I do now watch it outside of Wimbledon ;-) I don't think it's true to say he doesn't have a personality, he's very driven and is very private, so doesn't come across as well as he might.

I've been lucky I guess that I've been to Wimbledon a couple of times, and it's true, nothing beats live sport. I've probably said this before, but my work is heavily involved in Wimbledon, the US and the French Opens, so we get loads of info and behind the scenes stuff through. I've always tried (and failed!) to work on the Wimbledon project, it's very hard to get on there.

zimbo
8th April 2009, 09:08 AM
:frown: oh dear... Dont worry Andy we'll still be your friend :smilewinkgrin:. Wouldn't help if we all liked the same stuff!!

Me personally I dont like tennis or football, I'm more of a rugby fan but saying that its mostly the World Cup games I watch. The difference between southern hemisphere and northern hemisphere rugby is unbelieveable :yes nod:

But being born and raised in Africa where Rugby was THE main sport is probably my excuse :D

Gismo
8th April 2009, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't say avid, but I don't mind watching the game and, like you, Murray has ignited my interest so that I do now watch it outside of Wimbledon ;-)I'm with him

AndyP & Lenore
8th April 2009, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't say avid, but I don't mind watching the game and, like you, Murray has ignited my interest so that I do now watch it outside of Wimbledon ;-) I don't think it's true to say he doesn't have a personality, he's very driven and is very private, so doesn't come across as well as he might.

I've been lucky I guess that I've been to Wimbledon a couple of times, and it's true, nothing beats live sport. I've probably said this before, but my work is heavily involved in Wimbledon, the US and the French Opens, so we get loads of info and behind the scenes stuff through. I've always tried (and failed!) to work on the Wimbledon project, it's very hard to get on there.

Remind me what you do Euan... It's media work of some sort IIRC.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
8th April 2009, 10:49 AM
I joined the AndyMurray forums last night. It's based on VBulletin as well. Not that I want to blow toooo much sunshine up Gismo's ass, but I think the NMS forums compared to the Andy Murray forums are excellent examples of a very good deployment of vBulletin and a really awful deployment of vBulletin in that order.

The AM forums are very poorly laid out, the colour scheme is hard on my eyes and the signature strips are allowed to go waay out of hand.:frown:

A.

Gismo
8th April 2009, 10:54 AM
Not that I want to blow toooo much sunshine up Gismo's ass,
A.Aw go on :thumbs up:

zimbo
8th April 2009, 11:02 AM
:Whistle: :Whistle:

shaunbhoy67
8th April 2009, 11:55 AM
i have being following most of it when i can you can only get so much football on at the pub next best thing is watching the tennis, the murray match vs djokovic was good to come back from games down in second set, i think he has the ability to definetly get to number 2 even number 1 he has being playing good this year

GCA3N
8th April 2009, 12:16 PM
i have being following most of it when i can you can only get so much football on at the pub next best thing is watching the tennis, the murray match vs djokovic was good to come back from games down in second set, i think he has the ability to definetly get to number 2 even number 1 he has being playing good this year

Think you are mostly right, I think Murray is amazing and number 2 is a target that can be achieved.:yes nod: Number one however....:frown:, i think nadal is leagues ahead of anyone, I think unless he gets injured it will be a while till he gets the number one slot, I hope I am way off the mark, but head not heart speaking.:idea:

AndyP & Lenore
8th April 2009, 01:02 PM
Think you are mostly right, I think Murray is amazing and number 2 is a target that can be achieved.:yes nod: Number one however....:frown:, i think nadal is leagues ahead of anyone, I think unless he gets injured it will be a while till he gets the number one slot, I hope I am way off the mark, but head not heart speaking.:idea:

I take it you mean apart for the two times Andy has beaten him. Andy / Nadal head to head (http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/players/headtohead/default.asp?playernum1=MC10&playernum2=N409)

But, I agree. Raffa is on fire just now. Unless your name is Del Potro.:D

A.:D

Ivano
8th April 2009, 01:31 PM
I play West Of Scotland League Tennis and various Tournaments over the summer months... So i guess you could say that i am a fan :D:D:D

I always attend the big ones to watch ie French Open and Wimbledon when i get tickets... Wimbledon is harder to get tickets for as its always ballots etc..

No 3 is definitely on the cards soon for Andy Murray.. But there is a big diffence in ATP points between 3rd and 2nd and 1st. Big Fed is on the way out i would say in the next year or so... But Nadal is a machine and is just going to get stronger and stronger.. The difference is, these guys (Nadal/Federer) can win Grand Slams but Murray is not quite there yet. But given he has a fitness team of around 20 people behind him he has the opportunity to do it..

He certainly has blown Tim Henman out of the water.. he achieved nothing compared to what Andy has done in his career already

euan
8th April 2009, 03:08 PM
Remind me what you do Euan... It's media work of some sort IIRC.

A.

Nope, I'm at IT Architect, design large IT systems and make them work! work for a big, multinational computer company (three letters, in bold and usually blue, maker of the first PC if that's enough hints for you!)

AndyP & Lenore
8th April 2009, 04:27 PM
Nope, I'm at IT Architect, design large IT systems and make them work! work for a big, multinational computer company (three letters, in bold and usually blue, maker of the first PC if that's enough hints for you!)

"Or compatible" is a phrase that springs to mind.:D

Cheers,

Crombers
8th April 2009, 04:58 PM
I like the old racket stuff a bit, used to play in my younger 'slimer' days :rolleyes:

euan
8th April 2009, 05:00 PM
"Or compatible" is a phrase that springs to mind.:D

Cheers,

That's the puppy.

Here's one for you. You know the ball tracker on the Wimbledon website? That's done by youth tennis players on a dedicated device to map where the balls go on the court. No cleverness allowed by electronics in the ball (yet!).

Scottie
8th April 2009, 05:50 PM
I'm like tennis and I am a fan of Murray. Do not watch every match just some of the major ones.

My employees a very pro tennis and sponsor a lot of games and there are a few pictures of them with Andy and his mother on our walls at work, in fact his mum was in at a work a few weeks back, she seems to have a few plans:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin: re tennis.

Ivano
8th April 2009, 10:04 PM
I like the old racket stuff a bit, used to play in my younger 'slimer' days :rolleyes:

And when rackets were WOODEN... none of that Graphite/Carbon/Titanium technology back then ehh??... :D:D:D

Scottie
8th April 2009, 10:32 PM
yeh and tennis balls were white.

I actually still have a box full of white tennis balls from the 1960's the other is half empty as they are given to molly to chase much heavier and last longer then todays tennis balls

AndyP & Lenore
8th April 2009, 11:25 PM
That's the puppy.

Here's one for you. You know the ball tracker on the Wimbledon website? That's done by youth tennis players on a dedicated device to map where the balls go on the court. No cleverness allowed by electronics in the ball (yet!).

Cool. I actually thought that was just the same software they use for hawkeye.

euan
9th April 2009, 12:08 PM
Cool. I actually thought that was just the same software they use for hawkeye.

Well, it will eventually be that, they trialled it on one court last year alongside the youth players with pretty good results, I'd not be surprised if it's all in hawkeye this year.

They usually trial something one year then deploy the next. So a few years ago it was scores using wireless PDAs, now anyone can get it on the site wireless.

Anyway, back to the tennis - to all you people who actually play a bit, I'm hoping to start again this year after a 15 year break. What should I be looking for in a tennis bat (that's the name isn't it:D)?

Ivano
9th April 2009, 01:28 PM
Well, it will eventually be that, they trialled it on one court last year alongside the youth players with pretty good results, I'd not be surprised if it's all in hawkeye this year.

They usually trial something one year then deploy the next. So a few years ago it was scores using wireless PDAs, now anyone can get it on the site wireless.

Anyway, back to the tennis - to all you people who actually play a bit, I'm hoping to start again this year after a 15 year break. What should I be looking for in a tennis bat (that's the name isn't it:D)?

You can't go wrong with a Babolat Frame.. (About 80% oF Pros use this brand) and they are quite keenly priced for Tennis Bats :thumbs up:

If you used to play a bit then i would recommend the 'Pure Drive' model.

I use www.tennisnuts.com for all my equipment, so they are worth checking out :D

Although you live in Wimbledon ehh?? There is a small PWP Tennis shop down near the train station. or there used to be? They are pretty good aswell especially on the advice front as most of the staff tend to be high standard players themselves so they know what they are talking about and wouldn't sell you something unsuitable.

Hope this helps

euan
13th April 2009, 05:53 PM
You can't go wrong with a Babolat Frame.. (About 80% oF Pros use this brand) and they are quite keenly priced for Tennis Bats :thumbs up:

If you used to play a bit then i would recommend the 'Pure Drive' model.

I use www.tennisnuts.com (http://www.tennisnuts.com) for all my equipment, so they are worth checking out :D

Although you live in Wimbledon ehh?? There is a small PWP Tennis shop down near the train station. or there used to be? They are pretty good aswell especially on the advice front as most of the staff tend to be high standard players themselves so they know what they are talking about and wouldn't sell you something unsuitable.

Hope this helps

Spot on, thanks!