PDA

View Full Version : What's your first memory of driving your first Mini?

Forbes
7th April 2009, 08:37 AM
Leading on from AndyP's thread. What is the first driving memory of your first Mini.

Mine is driving back through Glasgow the night of the Holland vs. Scotland game, think i enjoyed driving the Mini more than i enjoyed that score line:rolleyes:

zimbo
7th April 2009, 08:53 AM
My 1st of actually driving a mini was probably in the very early 90s when I road tested and ended up buying a second hand mini city from a garage in Abernyte. Now on my 5th mini :thumbs up: (3rd new generation)

ianking
7th April 2009, 09:57 AM
First memory of my first was a Mini Designer that my old boy brought home as a project when I was 17. I remember taking my wee bro and sis out a run in it and thinking that it was amazing.

My first memory of my first new MINI was about 3 years later when I got my new red MINI one. I remember going to pick it up in Edinburgh and driving past a high school near Eastern and the kids outside looking over and pointing to it. One guy gave me the thumbs up which was nice. Of course that was back in the days when all other MINI owners would wave and flash as well.

john
7th April 2009, 10:25 AM
That was a very long time ago:rolleyes:

My first time driving my first new mini was WOW how many things can there possibly we wrong with this car?
As it turned out there was lots more faults thaan I could count without my abacus;)

Burple
7th April 2009, 11:23 AM
driving it VERY carefully back to the parents, following my dad, trying not to put my feet thru the holes in the floor! :eek::eek: ..and hoping like hell the brakes were going to work at every junction! :laugh::laugh:

GCA3N
7th April 2009, 12:07 PM
It was my wifes idea to get a mini, that was her dream car, we went for a test drive, and I thought i would have a shot and see what it was like, I was hooked in minutes, so much so I bought the car for me and the missus her 4x4.( need something for the dog and shopping)

Talking about flashing and waving to other drivers I think it would be a good idea to start a campaign, that we all sign up to, and no matter who we see driving a mini, old or new, known or unknown we should wave, flash etc. I think it would catch on again. Maybe peolpe have got out of the way of doing this.What do you guys and gals think?:smilewinkgrin:

:lol::clap:

doogz__
7th April 2009, 12:42 PM
My first memory of driving a new mini was having a go of Laura's "One" not long before she got rid of it and thinking "My god, this is slow!"

Ivano
7th April 2009, 01:46 PM
It was my wifes idea to get a mini, that was her dream car, we went for a test drive, and I thought i would have a shot and see what it was like, I was hooked in minutes, so much so I bought the car for me and the missus her 4x4.( need something for the dog and shopping)

Talking about flashing and waving to other drivers I think it would be a good idea to start a campaign, that we all sign up to, and no matter who we see driving a mini, old or new, known or unknown we should wave, flash etc. I think it would catch on again. Maybe peolpe have got out of the way of doing this.What do you guys and gals think?:smilewinkgrin:

:lol::clap:

Yeah... I am fed up with waving/flashing and acknowledging other MINI drivers, most of them havn't got a clue and look at you as if you are crazy.. Its amazing how things have changed.. I remember finding in my dealer pack a few years back, a thing on MINI Etiquette about flashing other drivers etc.

Would be good to bring it all back... but don't think it will change now

Big Gordy
7th April 2009, 02:49 PM
First memory of mini's was in the 60's in my dads 's' with me and my brother shouting faster,faster from the back:thumbs up:
Next experience was actually driving one in the late 70's. I remember coming of the accelerator getting read to brake and my dad telling me not to bother and just turn the wheel:eek:
1980 I had a 1275 GT Clubman
Late 80's I bought a City X as a wee runabout. Ended up using it every day for 5 years going in and out to my work in Glasgow until a Nissan zx200 turned across in front of me through a red light on the London Road.......goodbye mini:frown: did 2 grands worth of damage to the Nissan though:D
Then 2003 bought 'Mutley'
The End:bigwave:

Bazthemod
7th April 2009, 02:55 PM
First mini encounter was my classic mini before i past my test sitting in the garage pretending to drive it! :D

First encounter with new mini was taking my lessons in one as i refused to learn in anything else :p

Scottie
7th April 2009, 03:23 PM
My first memory of being in a mini was back in 1967 it was my dads
Pick up I should have photos

Then my first for driving a mini was my clubman back in 1980
I was worried that the car would make the trip from
Dunnlane to Perth without braking down. Other than the throttle
Cable sticking it went fine

camjay
7th April 2009, 04:31 PM
My dad's mini cooper about 1972! Red with Black roof - like mine! Great car! Most recently, when I got my Astro Black Mini One in 2002 - lived in Anniesland at the time and drove it up the Switchback Road to Canniesburn and back down again and my neighbours coming out of their houses to admire it! I was hooked from then on. :yes nod:

leighj
7th April 2009, 08:32 PM
My first encounter of driving a mini was when i got mine last august, my dad drove it back from Glasgow and i got insured for it the next day, which so happened to be the day of heavy heavy rain and lots of floods and had to drive my mini through the floods in Cupar! lol

rpn
7th April 2009, 09:38 PM
My first driving experience of a Mini was back in 1983. I returned from working in Abu Dhabi after two years and with some spare cash decided to get my own car and let the wife to run the family car (Honda Accord).

That Mini was my Aunt's car and remembered picking it up with my son who was so very very excited. He stayed behind in the car after we got home and parked up in the drive. He just sat/stand in the driving seat and pretent to be driving it! :D

Scottie
7th April 2009, 09:47 PM
you cant tell who all the oldies are :smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

shaunbhoy67
8th April 2009, 11:16 AM
my first experience was last june when i got mine and just being able to throw it round corners and listening to the engine growl, sheer bliss haha such a beautiful car to drive :lol:

Mini MoJo
8th April 2009, 12:43 PM
Well Mindy is our first Mini which we got in September 07, my sister also picked her first Mini up on the same day. We arrived at Menzies and there were our brand new Minis parked next to each other waiting to be picked up, we drove about all day on our own wee Mini run! :cool: that was the best day ever and i still get the same buzz driving her today :yes nod:

Crombers
8th April 2009, 07:16 PM
1983, bought an M reg 1974 Clubman from a colleague at work. Picked it up in Erskine on a wet friday night & proceeded to drive to as many friends as possible to show of my 'not so new' pride & joy. Unfortunately it only lasted months as it was knackered in so many places :sad: :frown:

Move on 2 years to 1985 & I bought a brand new Mini City E in Moonraker metallic blue reg C755 GGA (12" wheels & front dics brakes, what luxury). Picked it up on a midweek late afternoon from Arnold Clark in Allison Street, Glasgow. 21 years of age in a brand new car, I was chuffed to bits :thumbs up:. Within weeks the 'Mountney' steering wheel was on & a radio cassette fitted, brilliant stuff :cool:

princesscriminal
24th April 2009, 07:40 PM
I turned 17 in 1989 and I returned from a holiday in Tenerife. My mum & dad handed me a set of car keys and in the drive was a fantastic little red/white mini. I fell head over heels in love and to this day my love affair continues!!

My dad (a mechanic) had lovingly restored an old wreck of a mini, kept it a secret and gave me it for my 17th birthday. I loved that little car, I learned to drive in it and passed my driving test.

I have such great memories of that little mini.

Jx

m8cxc
24th April 2009, 07:55 PM
1 month ago i went to go buy a yago that i really didnt like was my hubbys idea :frown: mayzi the chilli red cabrio was sitting right at the door in all her glory and i was hooked. i bought her that day and have fell in love would never have anything else but a mini :D

Crombers
24th April 2009, 08:41 PM
1 month ago i went to go buy a yago that i really didnt like

What in the name is a Yago :confused:

Knox18
24th April 2009, 09:36 PM
mine was february 2008 and it was on oulton park and i nearly put this race cooper S into the wall coming out the pits on cold slicks :blush::blush::blush:

sedgie
24th April 2009, 09:40 PM
My first mini was EGG 760T a red 1275gt which hubby bought me as a birthday prezzie and it had a 1440 kit on it...was that fast!:D i loved him to bits..especially the bucket seats that were not fitted properly n sat on bricks so if you took a corner fast you ended up in the back seat:thumbs up:

ahhh those were the days;)

Forbes
25th April 2009, 09:41 AM
What in the name is a Yago :confused:

Toyota Aygo i think it will be:idea:

big pete
25th April 2009, 10:25 AM
Sheer terror! spun of a road backwards into a ditch when I was 18 in a rally prepped mini, was bricking it to tell my dad:ragin: