PDA

View Full Version : What's your first memory of the Internet?

AndyP & Lenore
6th April 2009, 11:11 PM
So, what's YOUR first memory of the Internet, and what did we all do before it? No Facebook, Twitter, Google, Wikipedia, etc., etc. And worst of all.... no NMS.:eek:

My first memory is when we signed up to Virgin.net in the cinema and were able to connect at a blistering 28.8bps. Ultra fast.:frown: I remember having a family meeting about whether the cinema should have its own web site, my parents thought it was a daft idea as it would "never catch on".:laugh:

A.:D

Bazthemod
6th April 2009, 11:57 PM
Windows 98 on dialup and having to ask my parents if i could go online as you couldn't make or receive phonecalls while connected!

AndyP & Lenore
7th April 2009, 12:33 AM
Windows 98 on dialup and having to ask my parents if i could go online as you couldn't make or receive phonecalls while connected!

Pah! Windaes 98 was cutting edge. I did wonder what you Young Pup's were gonna come up with. Did you ever work with Windows 3.11? Now that was a cracking GUI.

A.

Bazthemod
7th April 2009, 12:50 AM
Haha no... my first introduction to computers was BBC thing with a bouncing red ball that did things you typed in. This was at primary school, we advanced to a windows 95 machine in primary 6 and it was super cool!:rolleyes::cool:

AndyP & Lenore
7th April 2009, 01:00 AM
Haha no... my first introduction to computers was BBC thing with a bouncing red ball that did things you typed in. This was at primary school, we advanced to a windows 95 machine in primary 6 and it was super cool!:rolleyes::cool:

Ah those were the days.:D

In my early teens I actually bought a modem for my C64 so I could connect to bulletin boards. The very idea of being able to see what others had written and put on a "board" the other side of the world was absolutely fascinating to me. I could never get the bloody thing to connect though. Complete and utter waste of money.:frown:

A.

rpn
7th April 2009, 07:29 AM
Bulletin boards for me too, :blush:

There're hundreds of different topic groups you can join then, I was more into model RC racing cars then and also talking to folks around the NE Scotland.

My first PC experience was DOS (non-Windows) based however at the time I was using Apple MacIntosh at work with full GUI and networked within the group with emails. That was about 1989. way before MS Windows 3.01 :D

Forbes
7th April 2009, 08:34 AM
I remember windows 95 aswell. I was only 6. And i remember i was used to go on a online game site.

Ferengo
7th April 2009, 12:50 PM
Going to the Dundee library and using their computers. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, just typed "Bryan Adams" into every box until I got a site that was correct. Netscape was the search engine back then :thumbs up:. Oh and loads of those animated giffs with loads of neon colours on sites, ergh... bit like this

http://www.tommymandel.com/index2.html

Bazthemod
7th April 2009, 03:00 PM
I remember certain websites going round school that we all used to sneak on and discuss like steakandcheese.com and rotten.com they all had sick content that we all had a laugh about in school the next day! (just checked them there, they have evolved into pretty nasty sites now i dont recommend them lol)

Oh and MSN Messenger launching was uber cool!:cool:

ny152
7th April 2009, 06:45 PM
Started with an acoustic coupler modem (look it up kids :computer:!) to logon to a bulletin board in Cumbernauld - think it was called Blue Lagoon.

Eventually moved onto AOL dialup when it came to the UK but when I became a CableTel telephone customer I signed up with Colloquium in Paisley who had a cable line so you could stay online all day for the price of a one minute local call.

Can't remember the sites I used to visit, mainly dvd and games ones though. I'm still on The DVD Forums after about eight years. NMS still rules supreme however - even when I don't have MINI anymore :blush:.