PDA

View Full Version : Misfire Cylinder 4

Fester
3rd April 2009, 09:53 PM
Evening,

Having an annoying fault that is coming back as a missfire on cylinder 4, Have changed the plugs to no avail still does it. Anyone else come across this problem before i go and shell out my hard earned pennies on new leads, coil, injectors etc??

Oh it is a 2002 Mini One.

Cheers
Stephen

S7JGW
3rd April 2009, 11:19 PM
I had a problem like that on my red Cooper. I ended up changing the leads. I think the leads are not that expensive, well i remember them being cheaper than i thougt they would be. The leads cured it for me anyway.
Hope you get the problem sorted.
Jim

GCA3N
4th April 2009, 06:19 AM
Leads could be an issue, or your coil pack, both are not too much should get a set for 20-30 pound. A coil pack for around £80 i think. I posted a thread a while ago about something similar. Not got the bottom of it yet. I changed injector 3 and reset the ECU and so far so good. Hope you get it sorted. Ment to ask do you get an ECU warning when this missfire happens? I remember having the same fault in another car, and it turned out to be a dodgy connection on one of the HT leads.:thumbs up:

Craig
4th April 2009, 11:15 AM
Stephen,

the HT leads would be the easiest fix... I would get a set and if it doesn't work, take them back for a refund... :Whistle::yes nod:

Fester
6th April 2009, 10:27 AM
Leads could be an issue, or your coil pack, both are not too much should get a set for 20-30 pound. A coil pack for around £80 i think. I posted a thread a while ago about something similar. Not got the bottom of it yet. I changed injector 3 and reset the ECU and so far so good. Hope you get it sorted. Ment to ask do you get an ECU warning when this missfire happens? I remember having the same fault in another car, and it turned out to be a dodgy connection on one of the HT leads.:thumbs up:

The Ehgine Emisions light come's on. Once the car has been started 4-5 times later the light is off.

Going to book it into the garage to get looked at this week!!!

GCA3N
6th April 2009, 12:18 PM
The Ehgine Emisions light come's on. Once the car has been started 4-5 times later the light is off.

Going to book it into the garage to get looked at this week!!!

That is exactly what heppened to mine, though the garage could not find the problem (apart from changing the injector, which they later said was not the problem) They did reset the ECU and that appears so far to be working. What you could do b4 you put it in, is take of the cables to the battery, for about 20 mins then put them back on. It won't harm your car, (reset your clock, strereo etc) this might be an easy way b4 spending your hard earned cash. It seems to have sorted mine.

Fester
9th April 2009, 10:42 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates on this one folks but kind of glad I let JC have a look at it turn out that the valves are burnt very badly which is causing low compression the remedy new valves, new rockers and all the associated work that goes with it!!!!!!!! Good news is that the head is ok. They think has been caused by fuel contamination of some kind but cant pin it down. So day 3 of the car with them and the ££££ hitting the 4 figure mark now I'm just waiting on the news that all is now repaired and ready to go hopefully all in tome for the run next weekend.

GCA3N
9th April 2009, 10:53 AM
oh my, this is strange with the fuel thing. LIke i have said in a previous thread, the day the car starting giving me probs was the day I was forced to use fuel from a tiny back street garage in the middle of nowhere. Makes you wonder.:confused:

doogz__
9th April 2009, 12:30 PM
fuuuuuuuck.

4 figures for a head rebuild and some new valves! I've never paid anyone else to do a job like that foe me, is that how much it costs!

Fester
10th April 2009, 07:35 PM
spoke to them today hopefully get the car back on Wednesday (Damn these bankholidays) kind of gone into shock everytime I hear what is wrong but as far as I can grasp with my limited technical doo dah ability all the valves are burnt and need replaced + time in the machine shop to get them out cut out the seats stems blah blah blah its all double dutch to me but as usual its the labour thats the killer.

On the + side will feel like a new car, but on the Run next Sunday I'll now be the one driving like Miss Daisy

Fester
17th April 2009, 06:37 PM
Woo Hoo the car is back in time for Sunday

All repaired - Low compression in Cylinder 4 burnt exhaust valve and burnt valve seats, so valve replaced, after the head been at the machine shop to have the valve stem cut to get it out, rockers replaced as they think this might have been the fault with them being too high!!!! new set of gaskets and thermostat, changed oil filter, oil, antifreeze and chain, all the bolts and the rest that goes with it all back together with not alot of change from £1400

Oh and they managed to inflict this on the drivers door :ragin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/stevedear/Image005-1.jpg

Craig
17th April 2009, 06:58 PM
good news you got the car back in time for Sunday :clap::clap:

bit of a kick in the pebbles with that price tho... :thud::Whistle:

Gismo
17th April 2009, 07:01 PM
Ooyah, hope you get the dent fixed :confused:

Fester
17th April 2009, 07:09 PM
Ooyah, hope you get the dent fixed :confused:

Meant to be going into their body shop next week. to be honest I was more annoyed at the dent than the engine :confused:

GCA3N
17th April 2009, 08:12 PM
good to see you got it sorted but £1400 ouch, can you afford Sunday;)!!. Cannot believe what they did to your door:argh: