PDA

View Full Version : Driveshafts

V3 NGS
2nd April 2009, 12:23 AM
Hi gang its been a while. Can anyone tell me how much up and down play they have in thier CV joints?? I have a vibration problem when at constant speed, and also under heavy acceleration. I have just fitted new tyres and had the wheels balanced, however it seems to be coming through the car rather than the steering. If you agree can anyone recommend a place to get driveshafts!!

ianking
2nd April 2009, 08:36 AM
Been a while since I was under an R50/53 but when I changed the clutch a couple months ago I didnt notice excessive play, in fact I didnt notice very much play at all.

The drive shafts are dead easy to pop out and replace. In fact it takes longer to re-fill the gear box back up with oil as the filling hole is in an awkward place. I should imagine though that new drive shafts will be expensive.

Has your car ever been in a smash or bumped hard over kerbs or had a nasty impact with a pothole. Thats the only way I could think that the drive shats could have worn all ready.

V3 NGS
2nd April 2009, 10:22 AM
yes i have been run off the road by a lorry a while ago, this damaged my alloys and tyres. this damage was on the drivers side. thanks for the reply

Ivano
2nd April 2009, 01:51 PM
Have you lowered the car or altered the suspension in any way??

That can also cause Vibrations through the CV Joints as per previous posts.

Gaz-Muir
7th April 2009, 02:10 PM
Have you lowered the car or altered the suspension in any way??

That can also cause Vibrations through the CV Joints as per previous posts.

If its low, that may be the problem. Like mine! :thumbs up:

V3 NGS
7th April 2009, 07:58 PM
No the car is still running the original set up as regards height... been undethe car and there is a lot more vertical movement than there should be so i have ordered two new shafts.... we shall see!!!

How did lowering the car effect yours??

If its low, that may be the problem. Like mine! :thumbs up:

Gaz-Muir
7th April 2009, 08:13 PM
The front of my car is down 60mm, and when accelerating hard you get a vibration from the driveshafts, just since i lowered it.

Im going to lift it 5, then 10mm and hope it goes away!

Where did you get shafts from and what did they cost if you dont mind telling?

:thumbs up: