PDA

View Full Version : Mini overheating

nnzander
1st April 2009, 07:54 PM
I was outside cleaning the beastie this evening in the driveway.

I turned the engine on and was polishing away when the car fan came on???

This didnt bother me to much.

Jumped into the car to switch on the radio and the temp light was on with the dial sitting on the red light.

Turned the hot air on and gave the car a gentle rev and the temp returned to normal and the fan went off :confused:
I have had bmw,s over the years and had similar problems but nothing has developed.

The CAR HAS tlc remaining 23356 miles on the clock with Bmw 1 years part labour warranty remaining

Any one any ideas before i book it into the dealer.:sad:

Cheers Neil

GCA3N
1st April 2009, 09:03 PM
what have you checked so far. Check radiator coolant level for one, make sure that is ok and obviously your oil level will also need checked. Had you been out in the car previous to that, ie was the engine warm. I mean if you sit with the engine on, the car will heat up a bit and the fan would obviously come on. hope that helps a bit.:thumbs up:

nnzander
1st April 2009, 09:24 PM
Cheers Greig

I drove the car home from Ayr to my home 12 miles.

The engine was warm when i switched the car on.
I will check the coolant level and the oil later when the engine is cold.

I will keep you posted.

I will be calling Harry Fairbairn in the morning :eek:

Cheers Neil

Gismo
1st April 2009, 09:54 PM
Wondering if maybe the thermostat was stuck closed?

KenL
1st April 2009, 10:49 PM
Why would you sit with the engine on if you are not even driving the car? Save the planet and turn it off :hand:

As well as the planet it is NOT good for a car to just sit there. All car manuals these days tell you to start and drive off.

GCA3N
2nd April 2009, 06:13 AM
Cheers Greig

I drove the car home from Ayr to my home 12 miles.

The engine was warm when i switched the car on.
I will check the coolant level and the oil later when the engine is cold.

I will keep you posted.

I will be calling Harry Fairbairn in the morning :eek:

Cheers Neil

Remember and check you oil level with the engine slightly warm, take it out for 5 mins then come back and wait for 5-10 mins a check it, you should get a more accurate reading . If it need topped up, only top it up a wee bit a time, don't want too much oil. ie. put some in let it settle again a re-check. Best of luck