PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter ditches in North sea

john
1st April 2009, 04:34 PM
Up to ten people are feared dead and six more were missing after a helicopter ditched in the sea off north-east Scotland.
The Bond aircraft was returning from a BP-operated oil platform just before 2pm when it went down 35 miles off the Aberdeenshire coast.
Oil industry sources said they had received reports of between six and 10 fatalities, with six more missing.

Forbes
1st April 2009, 04:41 PM
It's awful, just heard about this myself. Doesn't sound good for those still missing either.

AndyP & Lenore
1st April 2009, 04:58 PM
Tragic news for everyone involved. Really hope no-one from NMS are involved.:sad:

A.:sad:

Gismo
1st April 2009, 05:01 PM
Hmm, makes you wonder why we do the job we do, and Zimbo's actually thinking about starting in it :frown:

GCA3N
1st April 2009, 05:19 PM
Our platform is just so sombre just now, :sad:hate being offshore hearing this news, hate being anywhere hearing this news, some of the folks out here know guys out there and it really hits home. I am going home next week, I can see it far enough now:frown:

Scottie
1st April 2009, 05:54 PM
not good news. It said on the 5.30 news that 8 people were still missing and there was 16 on board

japper
1st April 2009, 06:02 PM
Up to ten people are feared dead and six more were missing after a helicopter ditched in the sea off north-east Scotland.
The Bond aircraft was returning from a BP-operated oil platform just before 2pm when it went down 35 miles off the Aberdeenshire coast.
Oil industry sources said they had received reports of between six and 10 fatalities, with six more missing.

This after the near miss only 2 months ago:sad:

Not good to hear.

weefossy
1st April 2009, 06:58 PM
Our Nellie's not involved but it still worries us. Thoughts go out to all the families involved. It just doesn't bear thinking about. Mom's in bits.

john
1st April 2009, 09:04 PM
Our platform is just so sombre just now, :sad:hate being offshore hearing this news, hate being anywhere hearing this news, some of the folks out here know guys out there and it really hits home. I am going home next week, I can see it far enough now:frown:

Where are you?

Stewart
1st April 2009, 10:49 PM

Came in from the garden and seen this and you know what I thought about you……I knew you were back home in April……..

Sisters friend lost her husband in Piper Alpha …..left a son as well………thoughts go out to the families…
:sad:

ELFMAN
2nd April 2009, 08:06 AM
As if we needed reminding - after last month's ditching - of how an apparently 'normal' (these days) job is inherently dangerous. Just seeing the pictures on the news of the large area of water with the search boats looking lost in the middle of it brings it home to you.

My thoughts are with the families, and I'm so glad none of 'our' guys were involved.

Big Gordy
2nd April 2009, 08:27 AM
Very sad indeed:frown: Ross phoned us at about tea time to let us know what was happening as like 'Mom' his mum was finding it difficult holding it all together:sad: They've been listening in to the emergency channel and it was actually a vessel 3 miles from the copter that raised the alarm:eek: They said one minute it was flying at about 300 feet, the next it was in the water:frown: They recon the fact it fell from that height it was unlikely anyone would survive. Ross did two shift on that rig not so long ago so he's hoping its nobody he knows thats perished. Like Greig says he's walking about in a bit of a daze at the moment:sad: The worry for us is when he has to jump on a super pump next week to come home.

Crombers
2nd April 2009, 10:55 AM
Tragic :sad:

Thought are with the families

rpn
2nd April 2009, 11:22 AM
Very very sad news. :sad:

Majority of the guys were drilling crew from KCA Deutag, a company that I used to work for over 4 years.

One of my nephew was coming back from a BP installation at the same time yesterday but found out later that he was on the Schiehallon.

I've been working offshore since the late 70's, including on the Piper A for 4 years :blush: (ok I know some of you young pups weren't born then. :p)

Haven't been going offshore for nearly 5 years now and don't really want to either if I can help it.

News like that makes me think about all my lost friends who worked in the North Sea...... The Chinook disaster, Piper A, Cormorant A......

:sad: :sad: :sad:

RIP guys. :sad:

Craig
2nd April 2009, 04:49 PM
Sad news indeed... :sad:

looks like BP have suspended all operations with Bond UFN. :sad: Not sure I would want to transfer on a helicopter for the time being if I worked offshore...

S7JGW
2nd April 2009, 06:14 PM
Not good news at all.
Makes the old crewboat and Billy Pugh basket tranfer meathod they use here in Mexico seem not so bad.
Jim
:frown::sad:

zimbo
2nd April 2009, 06:23 PM
Very sad news indeed :sad: Bumped into one of my mates in Broughty Ferry today and he was saying that one of his mates from Broughty Ferry was one of the victims of yesterdays disaster :sad:

My condolances go out to all the families involved.

mini saltire
3rd April 2009, 08:46 AM
so tragic. Thoughts and prayers with the families involved.

Big Gordy
3rd April 2009, 09:17 AM
Not sure I would want to transfer on a helicopter for the time being if I worked offshore...

On the plus side at least they only have fly twice in two weeks, the pilots have to do 5-6 flights a day:eek:

john
3rd April 2009, 10:58 AM
Brian Barkley age 30 Aberdeen KCA Deutag Drilling Limited

James Costello age 24 Aberdeen Contracted to PSN (Production Services Network)

Alex Dallas age 62 Aberdeen Sparrows Offshore Services Ltd

Raymond Doyle age 57 Cumbernauld KCA Deutag Drilling Limited

James John Edwards age 33 Liverpool KCA Deutag Drilling Limited

Vernon John Elrick age 41 Aberdeen KCA Deutag Drilling Limited

Nairn Ferrier age 40 Dundee KCA Deutag Drilling Limited

Nolan Carl Goble age 44 Norwich KCA Deutag Drilling Limited

Gareth Hughes age 53 Angus KCA Deutag Drilling Limited

Warren Mitchell age 38 Oldmeldrum, Aberdeenshire Weatherford UK Limited

David Rae age 63 Dumfries KCA Deutag Drilling Limited

Leslie Taylor age 41 Kintore, Aberdeenshire KCA Deutag Drilling Limited

Stuart Wood age 27 Aberdeen Expro North Sea Ltd

Richard Menzies (Co-pilot) age 24 Drotwich Spa Bond Offshore Helicopters

Paul Burnham (Captain) age 31 Methlick, Aberdeenshire Bond Offshore Helicopters

One more will be named once his next of kin can be traced. (the latvian guy)

MartinSullivan
3rd April 2009, 02:27 PM
Just found out that one of the victims was also in the ditched chopper a few weeks ago

Evening Express have now retracted that statement on their website