PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Adjustment Motors

rpn
30th March 2009, 07:14 AM
The nearside headlight is stuck in the low level (pointing down) position however the offside one is working OK. Tried the usual wiring checks and even opened and 'slamed' the bonnet shut but no work! :p

Do I need a new headlight adjustment motor or something else I could try. :confused:

btw, the car is over 5 years old and its the first fault since my ownership from Dec '06.

Crombers
30th March 2009, 09:53 AM
Ah the magic of NMS comes to the rescue again :thumbs up:

If you have halogen headlamps fitted, you can sort the problem by opening the bonnet, switching your dip beam lights on, you need another person to operate the level switch (0, 1 & 2, near the ingntion barrel) and slaming the bonnet shut at the same time, (not to hard) , this will jolt the motors as the adjuster sticks, you should find them to be okay then, i know its a bit extreme but it does work okay

Alternatively :

a good whack (obviously not too hard ) on the under bonnet part of the lamp (black cover) while twiddling the switch does the trick as well

(would you believe that both of the above came from a BMW mechanic who uses/advises on MINI2).

When my headlamp adjuster stuck I asked my stepdaugher to be, Vikki , to twiddle the switch in the car whilst I gave the headlight unit a couple of slaps from under the bonnet with the dipped lights on & the bonnet up.................& IT FLIPPIN WELL WORKED

It may well be that the adjuster sticks again but a wee slap or thud from under the bonnet should do the trick.

That'll be a tenner mate :rolleyes: ;)

rpn
30th March 2009, 10:16 AM
Cheers Crombers :thumbs up: :clap:That's what this forum is about.

Will try the trick later. :thumbs up:

That'll be a tenner mate :rolleyes: ;)

Still a lot cheaper than a garage. :yes nod:

btw, you got my tenner yet. I sent it by cyber mail about 2 days ago. :D
oh and a couple of :beer: too at the bar. :D

rpn
30th March 2009, 05:27 PM
Sorted. :thumbs up:

Cheers very much for the head up Crombers :clap: :clap:

Amazing what some brutal force can do. :p

Crombers
30th March 2009, 05:54 PM
Sorted. :thumbs up:

Cheers very much for the head up Crombers :clap: :clap:

Amazing what some brutal force can do. :p

Weyhay, superb stuff :thumbs up:

Glad to have been of assistace & currently enjoying that cyber :beer: :hand:

GCA3N
30th March 2009, 08:22 PM
Weyhay, superb stuff :thumbs up:

Glad to have been of assistace & currently enjoying that cyber :beer: :hand:

As Kryten would say " Smug mode":thumbs up:;)

Gismo
31st March 2009, 05:32 AM
Glad you got it fixed Stan, the power of NMS strikes again :thumbs up: