PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 '09 Thread - Melbourne - Includes Result

Smitty
28th March 2009, 08:49 AM
So who got up for the qualifying this morning then?

Fantastic performance by Button, Rubens and Brawn GP. :clap:

I wouldn't rule out Vettel tomorrow, and I thik the Ferraris are worth watching - they have proven steady race pace during winter practice and I think they will be running heavy.

As for Lewis :sad: It's a shame his car broke....would have been interesting to see if he had the "raw" ability to pull his car through to Q3. Guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow for him to prove if he realy is a worth WDC!

(Mods - If this thread is popular, could be worth making it a sticky, and it can just be posted during the whole season...all 17 fantastic races!!)

Gismo
28th March 2009, 09:06 AM
(Mods - If this thread is popular, could be worth making it a sticky, and it can just be posted during the whole season...all 17 fantastic races!!)Let's see how it progresses, i know i'm interested in it, may move it to the motorsport section or even a dedicated forum for other types of motorsport other than MINI's :thumbs up:

Edit: Created the forum

Mini Ecosse
28th March 2009, 09:31 AM
We were up to watch qualifying.

Most exciting qualifying for a long time.

Promises to be an exciting season.

Scottie
28th March 2009, 10:16 AM
Lewis didn't look a happy chap did he. McLaren seem to be struggling at the moment.

Craig
28th March 2009, 10:44 AM
didn't see it this morning.... :yawn:

does anyone know when it's repeated today on the BBC ?:computer:

Gismo
28th March 2009, 11:33 AM
does anyone know when it's repeated today on the BBC ?:computer:I'm sure it'll be available on the BBC iPlayer :thumbs up:

Craig
28th March 2009, 12:22 PM
just found out it is on at 1PM today on BBC1. :yes nod:

that will be my lunch break then... :Whistle:

Smitty
29th March 2009, 06:26 AM
Anyone awake for the race then? :D

After seeing the fuel loads I really can't see anything other than a Brawn GP win, but reliability could be a problem.

Predictions:

1. Button
2. Vettel
3. Massa

Mini Ecosse
29th March 2009, 08:11 AM
Anyone awake for the race then?

Yes:thumbs up:

Gismo
29th March 2009, 08:31 AM
Yes:thumbs up:Me too, even though i didn't know about the time change :eek: at work so can't watch the race, but, i must say i'm very impressed with the BBC's online race info, sounds like a great race

Mini Ecosse
29th March 2009, 08:38 AM
WOW that was exciting.
Congratulations to Button and BrawnGP.

Gismo
29th March 2009, 08:41 AM
WOW that was exciting.
Congratulations to Button and BrawnGP.Yep, will be interesting to see the development of the protest about the Brawn cars.
Some finish from Hamilton

Scottie
29th March 2009, 08:53 AM
never got up to watch it.

Is it Ferrari that have put a protest in:Whistle:

Smitty
29th March 2009, 09:37 AM
Brilliant Race!

Brilliant Achievement from Brawn, Button & Rubens - that car is good!

Lewis got lucky with what happened ahead of him - but hats off to him for his 2nd half race pace, his over taking maneuvers and for taking full advantage of those not finishing! And looks very likely he'll get promoted to 3rd :thumbs up:

As for Ferrari - HA :laugh:

Brilliant coverage by the BBC, great commentators and pundits, and the current extended Forum on Interactive is brilliant. DC, Eddie Jordan and Brundle really know there stuff! :yes nod:

Gismo
29th March 2009, 10:08 AM
Brilliant coverage by the BBC, great commentators and pundits, and the current extended Forum on Interactive is brilliant. DC, Eddie Jordan and Brundle really know there stuff! :yes nod:Can't wait to see the race coverage when i get home :thumbs up:

As for Ferrari - HA :laugh:I'm a Brawn fan this year, time to let go from Ferrari, not overly keen since my all time fav, Schuey left and their wingin ways.

Come on Jenson :thumbs up:

Mini Ecosse
29th March 2009, 11:05 AM
Truli rec'd time penalty

Hamilton up to 3rd

Stephen

Smitty
29th March 2009, 03:34 PM
Truli rec'd time penalty

Hamilton up to 3rd

Expected - harsh on Trulli as he had a brilliant race, but he broke the rules and can have no complaints!

Vettel's punishment is a bit harsh though - that was a acing incident. Both were a stupid as each other!! Once again, complete inconsistency from the F1 stewards :frown:

euan
29th March 2009, 05:37 PM
Just watched it all back as we'd taped it (we were at a wedding this weekend), great to have F1 one back. Very harsh on Vettel, don't think Kubica gave him as much room as the stewards claim. You feel he was punished for trying to finish rather than the accident. Still, what's F1 without stewards...

Great drive from Button, his style will really help with those soft tyres.

Coverage - Legard will get better, he did sound like he was doing a radio commentary though.

Craig
29th March 2009, 07:02 PM
Well, that is the best start to an F1 season for YEARS.. :thumbs up:

the changes in the regs seemed to have given a much more even playing field and it's great to see some of the smaller teams getting up there in qualifying and the race :yes nod::yes nod:

I'm with you Gismo - Mon the Brawn Team. :smilewinkgrin: Button and Barichello did very well and I am amazed that a car with soo little track time was so reliable. Full marks to the engineers. ;)

euan
29th March 2009, 08:21 PM
What did we think of the overtaking? Was there more?

Smitty
29th March 2009, 10:32 PM
What did we think of the overtaking? Was there more?

I would say yes.

The cars can defo follow each other much more closlely than before, and those with KERS seem to have a good advantage in over taking during the race.

Naturally, everyone is a bit cagey in Melbourne anyway, as it's all about finishing due to the high attrition rate.

Give the drivers time to get used to the way the new cars work, and I think we will begin to see more over taking, particularly as they all adopt and get to grips with KERS :yes nod:

euan
30th March 2009, 07:47 AM
KERS was very interesting to see where the drivers used it. Massa was using it all up by halfway round, Lewis the exact opposite.

I'd rather they all had it though, evens it out.

Crombers
30th March 2009, 07:59 AM
Brilliant Race!

As for Ferrari - HA :laugh:

:yawn: Okay doke :knife:

:Whistle:

Crombers
30th March 2009, 08:02 AM
time to let go from Ferrari, not overly keen since my all time fav, Schuey left and their wingin ways.

Just jumpin ship when you feel like it eh!! :moonie: , whatever happened to once a supporter, always a supporter :confused:

Wingin ways !! , you should just give up on yer footy team as well then :Whistle:

euan
30th March 2009, 08:33 AM
Just jumpin ship when you feel like it eh!! :moonie: , whatever happened to once a supporter, always a supporter :confused:

Wingin ways !! , you should just give up on yer footy team as well then :Whistle:

His team have been winging for much longer than Ferrari have! :D

Gismo
30th March 2009, 08:38 AM

His team have been winging for much longer than Ferrari have! :DStaying firmly on topic :hand:

zimbo
30th March 2009, 11:55 AM
So what did you folks think of the 1st Grand Prix of the season then? I thought it was brilliant, good job done by the BBC I must say and NO adverts woo hoo and I got up to watch it live.

Glad to see Button get another podium, hopefully 1st of many. And also for team Brawn on their 1st race to get 1 & 2 is superb put the cat amongst the pigeons so to speak :D

Looks like it could be a good season...

I'm now just waiting for the MOTO GP season to start in a couple of weeks time, watched the test session yesterday and it was brilliant Casey Stoner was flying and got the fastest lap and by doing so was given a brand new BMW 135 coupe' thats has been modded. Now the 4th or 5th car he has received for fastest laps etc over the years, jammy git. :Whistle:

minimad
30th March 2009, 09:29 PM
FORZA FERRARI we will see 3 or 4 races in who are the men and who are the boys!!.dont know why everyone thinks that ferrari are winges ????they are probably looking for fairplay at the end of the day.i think F1 have made a KERS of this KERS system cmon the ONLY BIG GUNS that is SCUDERIA FERRARI

euan
30th March 2009, 09:38 PM
FORZA FERRARI we will see 3 or 4 races in who are the men and who are the boys!!.dont know why everyone thinks that ferrari are winges ????they are probably looking for fairplay at the end of the day.i think F1 have made a KERS of this KERS system cmon the ONLY BIG GUNS that is SCUDERIA FERRARI

Now, and I'm only guessing here, that your a Ferrari fan. And that's fine. No, honestly is. However...

Ferrari are the biggest bunch of wingers since Ronaldo last played in the Champions League. Every time a team has the slightest advantage, they complain. Every time someone cuts them up into the 1st corner, even though Massa was on the wrong line, and probably the wrong gear, they complain. That's possibly the reason they have the reputation ;)

KERS is interesting, I don't agree with Eddie Jordan that is has no place in F1, but I do think that once all the teams have it it'll bring a variety to the racing. If you have a car behind you that is pushing hard, do you use it in reaction to that driver or before him to get that little bit ahead? Very tactical - and it's important that as viewers we get to see who is using it when.

Rain is scheduled for Malaysia, so that means it's anyones race - new wet tyres all round, new cars, lower downforce and a slippy track. Can't wait for the carnage!

minimad
30th March 2009, 09:47 PM
surely cutting up is not fairplay:hand:as for wrong line wrong gear i dont know what yer talkin aboot:thud:

euan
31st March 2009, 09:40 AM
surely cutting up is not fairplay:hand:as for wrong line wrong gear i dont know what yer talkin aboot:thud:
Hey, if it's fair game on the M8 it's surely fair game in an F1 race:D

zimbo
31st March 2009, 10:20 AM
I agree ferrari ALWAYS have to moan at the slightest hint of competition, so as far as ferrari goes all I can say is :moonie:
I think ferrari seem to think the 'F' in F1 stands for 'FERRARI'

C'mon the Brawn & McLaren :clap: woohoo...

minimad
31st March 2009, 01:17 PM
and if you know your history its a grand OLD TEAM TO RACE FOR....FERRARI IS FORMULA 1;):thumbs up::shut up: