PDA

View Full Version : What got you interested in photography?

Scottie
27th March 2009, 08:00 PM
for me: Firstly let me take you back in time, a time when if you called some one a dinosaur it meant that they were one step nearer than they are today, When a bottle of Irn Bru cost only 2p and you got a penny change the year is 1974 and i am 7 years old heading to Germany on holiday. There was 9 deutsch marks to the pound back then and if any one said euro it meant that you would row the boat in the boat pond.

While on holiday i bought my very first camera which was a 110 format that cost me about 12p, no digital to be found back then:thud: I had this camera right up until 1979 when i was giving my first real camera by my brother an Olympus om1, which was already nearly 10 years old but i thought that i had won the lottery. That olympus took me on some journey when i started to use it. You see my brother gave it with no instructions or lessons so i had to learn by making mistakes, which until i got the hang of things was costly to find out getting the film developed.

This is how i got into photography, How about you:thumbs up:

Allan

illegalhunter
27th March 2009, 08:55 PM
Men Only , opps did i say that out loud. lol

rpn
27th March 2009, 11:44 PM
Dad always has a camera as far as I can remember and I want one.

For me, my very first camera was a plastic box type camera similar to a 'Box Brownie' Didn't paid hard cash for it, got it with something like Green Shield Stamps back in the 60's. :eek: :blush:

My first 'proper' camera was the Canon A1 :thumbs up: When it came out in the early 70's it was THE camera then. First electronic camera with multi functions like aperture priority, shutter priority, full program and manual. Multi mode metering etc. One of the very best toy I ever own and the worst mistake was to trade it in later for a Canon T50. Wish still have the A1 :sad:

Have to give up the hobby during the 80's and early 90's due to shortage of funding because of bring up family.

When the digital age come along I have a few compacts until about 15 months when I bought a Nikon SLR and then a....... and then........

AndyP & Lenore
28th March 2009, 12:00 AM
Bought myself a 110 for going on a school trip. I just loved the way you could capture the moment on film. All the pics were utter sh***, but I got the bug.

In my late teenage years my sister gave me a Pentax K1000 SLR. Can't remember why she gave me it, she used to use it for her college work, but she'd dropped out of uni by then.

So in my early 20's I was playing around with this Pentax a fair bit. Fully manual from what I recall. Made you really think about exposure. Nowadays we have it far too easy.

A.

Scottie
28th March 2009, 12:08 AM
well for me photography is not about the camera although it is the tool used to take the picture TBH I'm not really in to cameras

I'm more in to looking at the pictures once they have been taken I couldn't care if the picture is this or that if the lightening is correct or good composition.

I just want to look at the pictures and the story it is telling me and the memory it will hold for me in the future and that I can return to some 20 years later which is mainly of my family friends dog or my Mini and holidays I will always print my fav pics out. I love going to my mothers and getting her box out and looking through all the pictures taken through out the years.

However todays cameras for me have made it easy to get the picture loaded up on the computer and sharable for other folks to view which is now a easy process.

Fiona.

Mini Ecosse
28th March 2009, 09:38 AM
Motorsport got me hooked on photography way way back in the days of Ingliston and names like Birrell, Dryden etc.
I even have old photties somewhere of Noel Edmonds racing at Ingliston!

Stephen

PS Im only 35 years old :eek: :eek: :Whistle: :blush:

zimbo
28th March 2009, 10:42 AM
Well growing up in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe I loved seeing the wild life in its natural habitat and the African sunsets/sunrises and always wanted to be able to take photos of them, but our family could never afford to get luxuries such as cameras or colour tellys back home. So once we moved over here and I saved up enough money to get myself a decent (to me) camera I did and it was a Minolta DYNAX 500si (which I'll keep forever) and eventually once I could afford a trip back home to Zims I also got myself a SIGMA large zoom lense especially for taking pics of the wildlife deep in the bush, those were the best days and years of my life... :D

Not much decent wildlife over here to photograph and seeing as how I am a HUGE car and bike nut I tend to photograph them mostly now :yes nod:

Hopefully I'll be able to afford a proper DSLR one of these days :lol:

Well thats my story and I hope I didn't bore anyone to tears...

bigcoyote
30th March 2009, 02:15 PM
As far back as I can remember - my first camera was a point and shoot 110 with a telephoto lens - I loved that camera. Then I moved up to a poloroid instamatic - I took it to summercamp every year.

But what really got my hooked was my first photo class in high school ( 10th grade ) - I went out and bought a Minolta Maxxim 7000i with 2 lens's - it was the best camera I ever owned - and I still have it. During out first year of class we did black & white only, I got a reputation as a good student and some of the girls asked me to take photos of themselves for thier boyfriends. Then I did a photo shoot for a close friend - for her boyfriend who lived back East someplace ( she had moved here a few months before ) - she was in some skimpy underclothes ( but fully covered ) - Thats what really hooked me!!!

We made a deal that I could use the photos ( if they were good enough ) in the photo competition at the end of the class..... I got an A+ , she ended up getting married as soon as she was 18 -- ( to the boyfriend.... ) We all won - LOL:lol:

N12 JLK
30th March 2009, 02:55 PM
wimmin

Bazthemod
30th March 2009, 03:53 PM
I started mucking about with SLR's at work one day and realised just how much control you can get over the normal compact digital cameras.

So i saved up and bought a Sony A200 with couple of lenses... came to about £500 which is nothing to some cameras you get but to a student its a fair wad of cash haha!

Don't regret spending the dosh tho as it has been great for coursework at uni and also for taking pics of the motor, i seem to have amassed hundreds of pics of my car!! :rolleyes:

ny152
30th March 2009, 10:02 PM
I started with a 110 as well. Used it for taking photos during summer holidays at the relatives in Portsmouth.

Eventually moved onto digital and haven't looked back since. I love the idea of all my pictures being safe on the hard drive and easy to share with others, as Scottie says.

Not really into the technical side of it, just like to take pictures. I've got a Nikon D40 and a Panny TZ5. Tend to use the Panasonic more because I like the widescreen mode and pure pocketability.

Proudest moment so far has been getting a picture printed in the readers section of the Glasgow Evening Times :p.

Scottie
30th March 2009, 10:03 PM
I need a camera with a 16" lcd screen so I can the bl00dy picture I've just taken:laugh::laugh:

Mini Ecosse
31st March 2009, 08:23 AM
I need a camera with a 16" lcd screen so I can the bl00dy picture I've just taken:laugh::laugh:

Please let Allyson know when you find one :lol::lol:

Stephen