PDA

View Full Version : iPhone

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2009, 02:00 AM
Was just having a look at Apple's web site for the iPhone. Looks like there's a new software version out this summer - V3.0

This will have MMS capability as well as a host of other new features.:thumbs up:

I guess my new phone is gonna be an iPhone. Still not sure about the qwerty keyboard though. Tried and iPhone in a store today and I still hit 3 "keys" at once, or the wrong key 75% of the time. Maybe it is something I will get used to.

One of the new features is the ability to turn the phone on it's side and the screen will flip to landscape and the keyboard gets bigger. That will help.

A.:D

Gismo
27th March 2009, 04:53 AM
You do get used to the keyboard, like your existing and previous phones, you had to ge used to it.
The trick hitting the right key on the iPhone is to aim at the top left corner of the letter or digit, good news about the MMS, not that i'll use it, but i know how much it means to some folk

Ferengo
27th March 2009, 09:07 AM
I have the N96 and Hammy has the iPhone. We compared the other day,

iPhone can't do video, only a 2 megapixel camera, have to download ringtones (Can't use your own without hacking it), 8GB or 16GB only and not expandable, poor battery life and the battery is internal...

In the end it is the iPhone and it may not be as good as the N96 spec wise but it just works really well. It's interface is a lot better than most phones and it's just really cool. Typical Apple holding the above back and then releasing them on newer model I think. Despite that, I still want one.

Smurf
27th March 2009, 09:09 AM
I've had my iPhone about a month now, and I LOVE IT :smilewinkgrin:

But then I'm a bit of an Apple junkie...

You do get used to the keyboard. I found the trick was to use my forefinger rather than my thumb, which is what I used to text with. I find it ok now to write emails too. Mind you, when texting, the keyboard doesn't turn round to landscape... only in your web browser. Unless I've not found that bit yet!

Looking forward to having MMS capability. Not that I send a lot of them, but I get lots of pictures, and it's a pain having to go to a website to see them. Although, at least I can do that on the phone!

GAJ
27th March 2009, 10:27 AM
I have the N96 and Hammy has the iPhone. We compared the other day,

iPhone can't do video, only a 2 megapixel camera, have to download ringtones (Can't use your own without hacking it), 8GB or 16GB only and not expandable, poor battery life and the battery is internal...

In the end it is the iPhone and it may not be as good as the N96 spec wise but it just works really well. It's interface is a lot better than most phones and it's just really cool. Typical Apple holding the above back and then releasing them on newer model I think. Despite that, I still want one.

I'm a bit of an Apple junkie too and I have to agree with you - the 3G iPhone still has too many ommissions. Even though I very rarely want to record video, os send an MMS - I'd like to have the ability to do so when I'm paying £35 pm for the phone!

My existing o2 contract ran out this month but I'm holding off getting an iPhone just now - it's more than likely that Apple will announce new models in June or July, maybe when they release v 3.0 - they have already discounted the existing models, presumably to clear stock, and the existing 3G model will be a year old then.

The new software makes things better, it also includes cut/copy/paste which has been missing up to now, and the ability to tether the phone via bluetooth to your laptop, to use it as a modem - which the current models can't do. It's upto o2 to 'enable' this though. I use my current o2 phone to do this without any problems, but there are rumours that o2 will cripple this functionality, as they are doing good business selling 3G dongles.

If I can use the new version as a modem, and if I can get at least a 32GB one, I'll take one without a doubt. If not there'll be a lot more swithering!

Bazthemod
27th March 2009, 10:44 AM
I really like my iPhone, did take getting used to but once you get the hang of it you're flying. I really like having Mobile Me to sync all my stuff between my Macbook Pro and my iPhone.

3.0 will brings great improvements which should have come as standard originally!

(I remember the day when i used to say i would never have a Mac! :p)

euan
27th March 2009, 11:20 AM
I wasn't going to post this, but I will anyway :D

At the end of the day, it's a wonderful piece of equipment, and for all it's faults (battery, camera) it just keeps on getting better. It's all about the UI and that seems to be something that once you have the iPhone you adore.

However, I'm a gadget fan and I just cannot justify it. It costs too much to run on a £35 contract - I get more minutes, unlimited text and data on my SE for £20 a month. On contract alone that means I save £180, plus I don't pay the phone, so it costs an EXTRA £300 a year to run an iPhone. That's a big wedge of money for something that, no matter how good the iPhone is, I can't ignore.

I guess though it's a personal choice. I'd rather have not spend a load of money on the phone contract or the phone.

Big Gordy
27th March 2009, 11:49 AM
FFS you lot:eek: Its a phone......its for phoning people:ragin:Crombers help me out here mate..!!

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2009, 12:03 PM
I've had my iPhone about a month now, and I LOVE IT :smilewinkgrin:

But then I'm a bit of an Apple junkie...

You do get used to the keyboard. I found the trick was to use my forefinger rather than my thumb, which is what I used to text with. I find it ok now to write emails too. Mind you, when texting, the keyboard doesn't turn round to landscape... only in your web browser. Unless I've not found that bit yet!

Looking forward to having MMS capability. Not that I send a lot of them, but I get lots of pictures, and it's a pain having to go to a website to see them. Although, at least I can do that on the phone!

The keyboard turning landscape when texting is a 3.0 feature so you won't see it until you upgrade to V3.0. It's being made available to all iPhone users free of charge this summer.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2009, 12:15 PM
Good discussion folks.

I see euan's point about the cost - no matter how you cut it, it's a pricey toy.

As for storage capacity I don't need even the 8gb. I'm currently on a Nokia E66 and it has a 2gb card in it. I've used 250mb of that. But I can see why the Apple-geeks (no offence intended) would want higher capacity, for sticking all your music onto.

The UI really does appeal. And the way you switch between apps and online and then to texting, and the weather gadget and simple stuff like that just screams - GADGET at me. And I do love my gadgets.

I seldom take video with my Nokia - maybe sometimes if the cats are doing something nuts and I want to show Lenore later. But I don't have a usable Camcorder, so my Phone is the ONLY way of recording anything. One time in the cinema I stuck my phone out the window and recorded a delivery driver literally throwing our consignment out the back of his truck onto the A7. I used that as evidence to prove our case and get a full refund on all the damaged goods - asshole. So it's just wee bits like that. So it's a shame you can't record video. Or like Gaz says, maybe a new version will be out later this year which will record video.

And Gordy, it's not just a phone for phoning folk. It's a multi featured communication device which you can use to set your Sky + Box, take photos, make calls, surf the web (inc NMS), check the weather, and start the car.:thumbs up:

Big Gordy
27th March 2009, 12:18 PM
And Gordy, it's not just a phone for phoning folk. It's a multi featured communication device which you can use to set your Sky + Box, take photos, make calls, surf the web (inc NMS), check the weather, and start the car.:thumbs up:

Sheesh....how did we manage in the old days:idea:

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2009, 12:28 PM
Sheesh....how did we manage in the old days:idea:

Funny, I was just thunking that a few weeks ago....

We were heading up to Edinburgh to see a movie. I sent a text to Mr Davies, then started surfing the web and posted a couple of posts to NMS, checked the movie times on a handy web site called www.britinfo.net, a text came in from my dad so I replied to that, then a dirty MMS joke came in from Mr Broon (MiniMe), replied to that, went back to surfing for a minute, then a call came in, answered that... By this time we were in Edinburgh.

Put the phone in the cup holder and looked at Lenore and said "Isn't technology amazing, look at what I've just been able to do as you were driving up the road.

She says: "Aha, very good, but could you maybe have spoken to me instead. You know..... your wife."

Fair point I guess.:laugh:

A.

euan
27th March 2009, 12:32 PM
Good discussion folks.

And I can do all of that (bar the Sky+ and car bits) on my SE and still have 300 notes in my pocket. For that, I'll buy the DVD if I forget to record something! ;):D Oh, and did I mention the camera on mine is actually a good one, none of this 2MP rubbish ;)

Gismo
27th March 2009, 12:36 PM
Playing music on the iPhone drains the battery so much i don't even have one track on it, i use mine for surfing, phone and texts, expensive, yes, but, wouldn't be without it now :thumbs up:

bazzaric
27th March 2009, 12:51 PM
Love my iPhone. I sit and play with different mobiles at work, and nothing compares. This week i've had the N96, an E71, a G1 to name but a few, and I'm happy knowing that I have the best phone around.

Looking forward to the summer 3.0 release.... I remember back in the days of 1.01 software on my original '2g' iPhone...

AndyP, have you tried the apps for cinemas? I use Showtimes, but I remember there being another good one too.

Edit: Forgot to say, I'm not a fanboy of Apple, and have a macbook here i'm not getting along with!!

GAJ
27th March 2009, 12:52 PM
And I can do all of that (bar the Sky+ and car bits) on my SE and still have 300 notes in my pocket. For that, I'll buy the DVD if I forget to record something! ;):D Oh, and did I mention the camera on mine is actually a good one, none of this 2MP rubbish ;)

I use an SE just now too, surfing the web on it isn't really usable, apart from wap optimised sites, although it works well as a modem - and the pictures from the 5MP camera are nothing to write home about, due to the tiny lens and tiny CCD - my 10 year old 2.8MP camera takes way better pics. I agree with the cost saving though!:yes nod:

euan
27th March 2009, 12:59 PM
I use an SE just now too, surfing the web on it isn't really usable, apart from wap optimised sites, although it works well as a modem - and the pictures from the 5MP camera are nothing to write home about, due to the tiny lens and tiny CCD - my 10 year old 2.8MP camera takes way better pics. I agree with the cost saving though!:yes nod:

If you use the standard mobile browser I agree with you - though you can download Opera for the SE now and it's vastly better ;) Operates same way the N series Nokias do with the zoom function so you can get every website on it (bar Flash enabled ones, but then the iPhone doesn't do them either).

The photos on it are fine, I've been surprised how good they are considering the size of the phone. If you use it in good light (it has a crap flash) then it's OK for a quick snap, but if going somewhere I want to take photos, I'll usually have the "real" camera with me anyway!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an iphone, just can't justify it :D

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2009, 01:20 PM
AndyP, have you tried the apps for cinemas? I use Showtimes, but I remember there being another good one too.

Baz, I don't have an iPhone yet. Just looking at the options.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2009, 01:24 PM
If you use the standard mobile browser I agree with you - though you can download Opera for the SE now and it's vastly better ;) Operates same way the N series Nokias do with the zoom function so you can get every website on it (bar Flash enabled ones, but then the iPhone doesn't do them either).

Euan, are you talking about Opera Mobile, Opera Mini, or full blown Opera Browser?

I've used Opera Mini before and it was OK for some sites, but useless for the likes of NMS.

A.

Smurf
27th March 2009, 01:44 PM
Costly... well, depends what you're used to I guess.

I was paying £30 a month for my previous contract, and I figured I could cope with an extra £5 a month. I get more minutes, less texts (but I don't use 500 a month anyway), and I don't pay for my browsing or emails, which I used to have to do!

I got some money for my birthday which I put together, and that paid for a fair chunk of buying the phone. I ended up paying about £40 for the phone out of my own pocket, and I reckoned that was OK :smilewinkgrin:

The UI is just astonishing, it's just soooo easy. And it's full web pages, none of the "mobile phone" type pages I used to get. And I love the fact that I can do everything (text, call, email, surf, etc etc etc) on it, as long as I can charge it up...

SORTED! :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2009, 01:51 PM
I'm kinda with Smurf here. If it does what you need it to do, and it's not that more expensive than what you were used to before, then why not.

I'm currently paying £40 a month with more minutes than I can use and unlimited texts. I usually use about 400 texts a month. But I pay for almost all web browsing, so my monthly bill is seldom below £55. So if I can get a iPhone for £40 month and get 500 texts and unlimited browsing, I'm quids in.

A.

MINI William
27th March 2009, 01:52 PM
This is brilliant looks like my next phone will be an iPhone as i took my first 3G one back after a day as it never had MMS or decent bluetooth

euan
27th March 2009, 02:03 PM
I'm kinda with Smurf here. If it does what you need it to do, and it's not that more expensive than what you were used to before, then why not.

I'm currently paying £40 a month with more minutes than I can use and unlimited texts. I usually use about 400 texts a month. But I pay for almost all web browsing, so my monthly bill is seldom below £55. So if I can get a iPhone for £40 month and get 500 texts and unlimited browsing, I'm quids in.

A.

Who is that with!?! I'm getting 500 mins, unlimited data and texts for £20!

I agree with you, it's like anything in life, it's what matters to you and what your comfortable paying for it. I see the phone as a utility so want a bit of web, music, camera, but must be good for text and calls. As such, if I can get something that does 80% of what an iPhone does I'm happy - I'll take the compromise. I don't do masses of surfing on it, typically just news, sport - the rest I do on my laptop.

The features and the UI of the iPhone are superb. If I could get one on my existing supplier, I'd probably get one, so long as the sums were right.

The other thing that's important to me is size - the iPhone is quite large (width I mean) and I think I'd just get annoyed with it.

Smurf
27th March 2009, 05:33 PM
I was with Orange, £30 a month for 400 mins & unlimited texts. So the iPhone made sense. £35 for 600 mins, 500 texts, and unlimited data and browsing. Had no issues with Orange, and have none with O2 so far.

I've compared the size to various other phones recently, and it's only marginally bigger than my old Motorolla V6maxx, the LG touch screen one, and the Samsung touch screen one. It's much narrower than most, especially the likes of the Nokia N95.

Each to their own though, it's obviously not to everyone's taste or pocket. :smilewinkgrin:

Scottie
27th March 2009, 06:51 PM
we've had a few iphone threads now.

I couldn't be without mine.

Much better than the Blackberry for using email imho.

Great with mobileme

Super quick to type keyboard is so easy to use.

love dragging the screen bigger for when I forget my glasses.

some nice free games available to download and play.

Looks great.

Battery on 24hrs last me about 2.5 days.

Pairs with my Parrot gadget no problems and I can play the music via the ipod part through the parrot gadget which is brilliant plus charging at the same time.

I used to buy a phone every few weeks never even look at any others now.

Don't think cost really comes in to it unless your a 10 a month person or less then iphone is not worth it perhaps.

i'm on £35 a month and so far have never went over that limit.

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2009, 07:58 PM
Had another play with one today.

See what you mean about stretching the screen bigger if you need to. I went to NMS (didn't log in as it was shop demmo model and wouldn't trust it to clear cache etc). Could see the web page because it was too small so I asked the sales girl if you can make the screen bigger. Very cool way to make it bigger.

I think I'm sold. But I have another 3 months to go on my Orange contract. So will need to wait until that only has about a month to go then will get one. So, late May and I'll have a iPhone - assuming nothing tasty comes out of the Nokia camp in the mean time. But TBH, fed up with Nokia unreliable surfing software and there phones are now getting a bit chunky. Looked at an N96 in Carphone Wharehouse. Holy sh*t that's a think phone.

A.

Smitty
27th March 2009, 09:25 PM
You may be glad of those 3 months Andy, as it is highly likely they will release upgraded hardware, along with the deployment of OS 3.0.

The same thing happened last year with the release of OS 2.0.

My guessing, and going by all the intelligence, is that not much will change though, simply an increase in storage space. So they will probably offer a 64GB version.

Scottie
27th March 2009, 09:31 PM
is the iphone still only available through O2.???

Smitty
27th March 2009, 09:35 PM
is the iphone still only available through O2.???

For now, yes. But there was speculation that Apple were in talks with another network provider in order to combat T-Mobile and the Android taking away some of the Smart Phone market share.

Whether that comes about or not, who knows!!

The Dogfather
27th March 2009, 11:28 PM
Apple talking to another network provider? Shocking.

Erm, has anyone seen the new Nokia N97?

The 5800 has a great touchscreen combine that with a better screen, slide out keyboard, 32GB with 16GB via slot, fast processor and a 5MP camera and you have the N97.

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2009, 11:45 PM
Sales girl in O2 today said there wasn't a new handset coming out, just new software. She had nothing to gain from that as we'd already determined we were gonna have to wait until my contract was up in 3 months. Also, the video of Apple's launch of the new OS to iPhone software developers didn't mention anything about new hardware - just software.

Would be good for the iPhone to be on another network though.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2009, 11:47 PM
Apple talking to another network provider? Shocking.

Anything you'd like to share Paul?:yes nod:

Erm, has anyone seen the new Nokia N97?

Just had a wee look at the N97. Usual chunky "N" look. Not keen.:sad:

A.

Gismo
28th March 2009, 06:13 AM
Don't forget that you can add 10 land lines as your favourites that you can call for no extra charge and also, i think, you can call any other 02 phone for no extra charge.

I have 2 iPhones in a buisness account, and i can call the other iPhone (me Julie) for no extra charge

Smitty
28th March 2009, 08:45 AM
Sales girl in O2 today said there wasn't a new handset coming out, just new software. She had nothing to gain from that as we'd already determined we were gonna have to wait until my contract was up in 3 months. Also, the video of Apple's launch of the new OS to iPhone software developers didn't mention anything about new hardware - just software.

I'm not doubting the O2 sales girl ability, but if confirmation of hardware hasn't leaked onto the Internet, there is no way in on earth she is going to know! :Whistle:

Also, the video of Apple's launch of the new OS to iPhone software developers didn't mention anything about new hardware - just software.

Your obvious not familiar with Apples devious tactics ;) Same thing happened last year - launched OS 2.0 and the SDK, then a month or so later they announced the 3G iPhone.

I'm not saying there is definitely new hardware coming - but the O2 price cut certainly points towards that!!

AndyP & Lenore
28th March 2009, 11:08 AM
I'm not doubting the O2 sales girl ability, but if confirmation of hardware hasn't leaked onto the Internet, there is no way in on earth she is going to know! :Whistle:

Your obvious not familiar with Apples devious tactics ;) Same thing happened last year - launched OS 2.0 and the SDK, then a month or so later they announced the 3G iPhone.

I'm not saying there is definitely new hardware coming - but the O2 price cut certainly points towards that!!

Smitty, your absolutely right. These big corporation (and lets face it, Apple are huge in the grand scheme of things) tend to be the worst at informing the troops on the ground what they are working on.

Any rumours on the 'net about new hardware?

A.

Bazthemod
28th March 2009, 11:57 AM
Apple have maxed out their flash memory suppliers with orders for 8/16gb units :smilewinkgrin:

iPods alway launch in september so too early for their production. iPhone has always been launched in summer June/July ;)

Rumor has it to expect upgrades to features such as better camera and video suppport and more powerful processor to allow multitasking.

There is also mention of iPhone Nano, i don't see that happenning but you never know!

If you go for an iPhone now and they do bring out a new one o2 usually offer a free upgrade to the new phone if you sign for a further 18 months

rpn
28th March 2009, 10:48 PM
My O2 contract is expiring in May and was in an O2 shop the other day and the sale girl said the same thing about an upgrade iPhone in June/July.

So don't know whether to get the iPhone as soon as my current contract expires or wait until June/July (if the rumour of upgrade is true :confused: )

The Dogfather
28th March 2009, 11:01 PM
Anything you'd like to share Paul?:yes nod:

Just had a wee look at the N97. Usual chunky "N" look. Not keen.:sad:

A.

No comment.

The N97 has a keyboard which is a great addition for me.

GAJ
29th March 2009, 01:17 AM
My O2 contract is expiring in May and was in an O2 shop the other day and the sale girl said the same thing about an upgrade iPhone in June/July.

So don't know whether to get the iPhone as soon as my current contract expires or wait until June/July (if the rumour of upgrade is true :confused: )

wait!;)

AndyP & Lenore
29th March 2009, 02:11 AM
wait!;)

Genuine hard knowledge Gaj, or just historical speculation?

A.

GAJ
29th March 2009, 09:42 AM
No hard knowledge, an educated guess - but I'm pretty certain. Apple are a bunch of secretive control freaks - they never announce new products in advance. There will be very few people in Cupertino who are in the know, and even fewer who will have the whole picture. The sales monkeys at o2 won't get to know before anyone else, neither will staff at Apple Stores. But o2 have already started to cut prices on the current model (albeit with a longer contract). Like Baz says, Apple have been stocking up on flash memory, and have also filed patents for biometric authorisation technologies which cite the iPhone; whether this is for the next model or a later one is debatable. The Apple WWDC is at the beginning of June - in 2007 the first gen iPhone launch date was revealed at this, at last years the 3G iPhone was announced. I'm sure enough that details of a new model will be announced at this years. Even without any of this speculation - the current model will be a year old without any upgrade - never a wise time to buy!:hand:

rpn
29th March 2009, 11:43 AM
In one hand I like to upgrade asap so my next 18 months contract will expire sooner, but in the other hand and obviously I like to have the latest version!

The rumours of an upgrade iPhone seems very plausible giving that over the last months Apple been busy upgrading their whole range of Macs. ie MacBooks (only 4 months after I bought a new one :argh: :argh:) iMacs, Minis (not our beloved cars :D) and Mac Pros....

euan
29th March 2009, 05:44 PM
Andy, you'll never know about a new iPhone until they announce it -I've no idea how Apple keep these things so quiet but they do. However as others have said it all seems to point to a new one in June/July.

Scottie
14th April 2009, 06:29 PM
re the new iphone due.

If I was to say the word new components to you, would you take that to mean we are talking brand new iphone and not software upgrade.:Whistle: If so then you can take this as a fact.:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin: Allan will not tell me anything more and I've been trying since I got home, he knows I've got a big mouth.:ragin::ragin: and can't keep secrets.:frown:

AndyP & Lenore
14th April 2009, 08:12 PM
How does Allan know?

A.

GAJ
14th April 2009, 08:13 PM
You might want to look at this then stick your tongue out at him!:p
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C17161/

AndyP & Lenore
14th April 2009, 08:22 PM
Spoke with a salesmonkey in Carphone warehouse today while I was in for something else...

He is dubious that a new iPhone will be here earlier than September. He claims they are "working on a iPhone Nano" so there may not be a "new" iPhone other than the Nano out this year. He also said Orange were trying to get in on the airtime biz. I asked when he thought that would be. He said "hold on a sec." Stuck his read round the corner asked a question of someone in his back store (couldn't hear him very well). He then looked back at me and said "nothing official I can tell you yet. Thats the Orange rep we have in at the moment." So I'm guessing either she (the orange rep) knew something but couldn't or wouldn't say. Time will tell.

A.

Scottie
14th April 2009, 08:27 PM
You might want to look at this then stick your tongue out at him!:p
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C17161/

when I got home from work.

Allans phone was beside the kettle I picked it up and pressed the wee button and saw that he was playing a game. I then went to see who he had been speaking with today and

The conversation went something along the lines of:

Me: oh you were speaking to *****
Allan: yip, was trying to see what info he got through for this weekend and if he knew what university they were to go to this weekend in Edinburgh.
Me. what if you don't get anything through are you both still going.
Allan: not sure **** is away shortly to Japan
Me: Japan what's he up to
Allan: Oh **** is the one who invented /came up with the new components for the iphone to get the depth of field (3d), then he stopped.
Me: I went so there will be a new phone then and not a software upgrade.
Allan: Can't say.

That's all I've got.

I actually managed to get a bit more out of him about the 3d technology and the patent and Ireland etc etc.

Smitty
14th April 2009, 08:31 PM
I think the iPhone Nano is unlikely in the near future.

Although Apple manage to keep things very quiet, the rumors mill are correct 95% of the time.

And the rumors right now are new iPhone in the next few months, and iPhone Nano still on the drawing board.

Saying that, a Nano would make finicial sense right now. Would target a larger audience! :yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
14th April 2009, 08:36 PM
3D sounds interesting.:yes nod: Unless, of course, he's winding you (us) up.:D

However, there is definitely new software out soon for the iPhone. Version 3.0 is released soon. It's already all over Apple's web site.

Scottie
14th April 2009, 08:43 PM
3D sounds interesting.:yes nod: Unless, of course, he's winding you (us) up.:D

However, there is definitely new software out soon for the iPhone. Version 3.0 is released soon. It's already all over Apple's web site.

I don't think so. He normally just wouldn't say and wouldn't have said this time round but I quizzed him normally I don't bother he also mentioned something about Molds being ready, PSP, and a 17" Laptop.

guess we will find out soon enough.