PDA

View Full Version : Knowing (the movie), Film Piracy & Cinema Industry Thread

AndyP & Lenore
26th March 2009, 08:43 PM
Went to see it at the movies today.

That's two hours of our lives we'll never get back.

For a film the promised, it really disappointed. Especially the absolutely preposterous ending.

Couple of good action set pieces, but other than that a real disappointment.

A.:sad:

euan
26th March 2009, 10:00 PM
Have to admit, have heard nothing about this film at all!

I quite fancy Changling, and also Duplicity. Might try and go next week, or maybe on Sunday after the GP :-)

Ferengo
26th March 2009, 10:07 PM
Knowing that... I won't go and see it :thumbs up:

audrey
27th March 2009, 12:10 AM
Not seen that film :frown:

Seen Changling enjoyed it :cool:

Best film seen recently Gran Turino FAB :D

camjay
27th March 2009, 12:41 AM
What is it about? Went to the pics last week - Gran Turino, it was very good, I didn't fancy it but it was the only decent thing on and I actually enjoyed it. :popcorn:

Anyone seen Bronson? I don't think its very popular cos it was only showing in one cinema in Glasgow! Really like the guy who's in the lead - saw him in Rocknrolla and loved that film!!

Gismo
27th March 2009, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the tip Andy, hadn't heard of it but now i know not to go.
As others have mentioned, Gran TORINO (spelling :rolleyes:) is excellent, a must see and a defo blu ray purchase in the future

zimbo
27th March 2009, 10:43 AM
Went to see it at the movies today.

What but you have your own cinema :rolleyes: !!! why didn't you see it there :D

Which film is that? Who is in it? Is it the one with Nicholas Cage? Because that film looks not too bad in the previews on telly.

Not been to the movies in AAAAGGGEESSSSSS!!! Am looking forward to seeing the new Fast and Furious film though, seeing as Vin Diesel is back I hope it is going to be up to scratch with the 1st one, was a bit disappointed with the other ones, so fingers crossed :yes nod:

illegalhunter
27th March 2009, 09:02 PM
Watched it online , i liked it

AndyP & Lenore
27th March 2009, 10:21 PM
Watched it online , i liked it

Many thanks for supporting the film industry.:argh::ragin::thud:

Glad the other folks on here do not break the law!!!

A

GCA3N
28th March 2009, 10:00 AM
Yeh right you have never broken the law;), what about speeding...just even a wee bit:hand:. Be honest has anyone never watched a copied film or got a copied music album or the likes. I am not condoning the practise of piracy, and neither am I saying because one person does it we all should. But the film and music industry are paying the price for overcharging us for years. I have cds from 20 years ago where i paid £20 for, now you can get an average album for under a tenner.

Scottie
28th March 2009, 10:14 AM
Yeh right you have never broken the law;), what about speeding...just even a wee bit:hand:. Be honest has anyone never watched a copied film or got a copied music album or the likes. I am not condoning the practise of piracy, and neither am I saying because one person does it we all should. But the film and music industry are paying the price for overcharging us for years. I have cds from 20 years ago where i paid £20 for, now you can get an average album for under a tenner.

I've been caught speeding but never watched a movie online or downloaded music only because I don't know how to.:blush:

Smitty
28th March 2009, 10:16 AM

I'll 2nd that :Whistle:

Saying that, I don't download films that I haven't already seen in the cinema.

My main sin is music...but I go to enough Gigs and festivals, and buy the odd CD and band merchandise that I don't feel bad for it, as that is where the artists make the most money!! :p

Gismo
28th March 2009, 10:33 AM
Lets not forget this is a public forum ;) if you post up saying you download illegal music, films etc then be prepared to suffer the consequencies if the law enforcement agencies want to talk to you :Whistle:

Craig
28th March 2009, 10:46 AM
Lets not forget this is a public forum ;) if you post up saying you download illegal music, films etc then be prepared to suffer the consequencies if the law enforcement agencies want to talk to you :Whistle:

now there's a thought.... :Whistle::Whistle:

:clap:

AndyP & Lenore
28th March 2009, 11:05 AM
Breaking the speed limit does not damage someones livelihood and literally take money out of an industry that feeds and clothes me - and another 100,000 people in the UK alone.

Rightly or wrongly (and frankly I don't care if it bothers you or not), I have a vested interest in ridding the film industry of piracy. If anyone posts up here saying they have illegally downloaded a movie or purchased a pirate DVD, don't expect an understanding conversation from me.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
28th March 2009, 02:32 PM
Came in to work today to an email I'll copy below. We are members of the Cinema Exhibitors Association (the UK cinema industry's trade organissation) and the CEA are members of FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft).

I'm not trying to browbeat everyone into submission and a life of never ever breaking the law. But I do want folk to realise why WE (AndyP & Lenore and Neil & Lorna) in particular, feel so strongly about copyright theft.

I think there is a misconception that pirate DVD's are a victimless crime and that it was only a fiver so whats the harm. I think most folk don't realise the massive industry that is at the base of this organised crime.

Now, I realy DONT want to turn this thread into a "ahh but cinema's rip their customers off with popcorn prices so why shouldn't I break the law." But I am more than happy to discuss the issue providing all comments and replies are made sensibly.

A.

=================

UK’s largest illegal DVD factory shut
Thousands of DVD’s and hundreds of DVD burners seized

Raids in London have led to the closure of a sophisticated large scale printing operation, printing covers for counterfeit DVDs, and the UK’s largest ever illegal DVD manufacturing facility in a joint operation with the City of London Police, the Metropolitan Police and FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft).

Following a major investigation, a commercial printing operation in Wembley, North West London was raided last week and a significant number of printing plates, used to produce the covers, were seized. Titles that had been printed included Watchmen, Slumdog Millionaire, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Reader and Gran Torino.

Four people were arrested in connection with the large-scale production and distribution of counterfeit DVD covers and money laundering and have been released on police bail. FACT estimates the commercial business has printed millions of covers over the past year.

The arrests and seizures by officers from City of London Police’s Central Detective Unit follow another raid at a large illegal DVD factory in Southall, West London in February, which resulted in the arrest of five people and the seizure of large quantities of copying equipment and discs.

420 DVD burners were confiscated together with other equipment. In addition, there were approximately 60,000 burned and packaged DVDs ready to be despatched. Many of the discs featured the latest Hollywood blockbusters, including copies Slumdog Millionaire, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Milk, which had just been released at UK cinemas.

The counterfeit DVDs, which are usually sold for approximately £3 each, are known to generate substantial criminal profits for those involved in their production.

Also in the premises were 38,000 blank DVDs and one million printed covers.

City of London Police's Det Chief Inspector Dave Service said: "This operation provides further evidence of the scale of the organised criminal networks involved in DVD Counterfeiting and how big a problem it has become. This type of criminality is often looked upon as a victimless offence. However the proceeds gained are massive and can be used to fund other criminal operations while substantial damage is inflicted on the film industry, and on the UK film industry in particular."

Kieron Sharp, FACT Director General, said: "The illegal factory in Southall would have been capable of generating a criminal profit in excess of £1 million per week and we know there are dozens of such factories operating across London and in other cities in the UK. FACT is working in partnership with the City of London Police and the Metropolitan Police to take out those criminal organisations and individuals who are seeking to profit from this illegal trade."

Executive Producer of Quantum of Solace, Callum McDougall, said: “We have a hugely valuable film industry here in the UK, and we have to do whatever we can to make people aware of the impact of purchasing fake DVD’s or illegal downloads.

“The UK film industry provides huge benefits to hundreds of external suppliers, film and television facilities, creative advertising agencies, television stations and also to tourism - We have seen the damage already caused to the music industry and we have to continue to make the public and government bodies globally aware of the damage that will happen if DVD piracy is not brought under control.”

To report the manufacture or sale of counterfeit DVDs call the charity CrimeStoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or contact your local Safer Neighbourhoods team.

-ENDS-

GCA3N
28th March 2009, 03:44 PM
Ok..then.:Whistle: getting the feeling of alot of tension here. Like i said none of us are saints, and also like i said I don't aggree with this practise, but lets get things into perspective here. I think there are alot worse things happening out there, but I do understand how you feel. I have to say that i buy all my music from i-tunes and have a healthy collection of legal DVD's as well as going to the pics most trips home. My point was that we can all be gulity of flouting the law on occassions ( This statement by the way is not enough to get anyone into bother) and lets not be too hard on someone who watched a film on-line. Keep up the crusade:bigwave:

AndyP & Lenore
28th March 2009, 04:17 PM
Ok..then.:Whistle: getting the feeling of alot of tension here. ........ lets not be too hard on someone who watched a film on-line. Keep up the crusade:bigwave:

Not so much tension, but illegalhunter has admitted watching films on pirate DVD or illegal downloading in the past.

TBH, pirate DVD or illegal downloading, makes no difference to me, both just as damaging to the industry.

Greig, I'm really glad you do have genuine DVD's and you go to the cinema. In fact the anti-piracy marketing message is changing soon to better reflect that we appreciate your business as a genuine cinema goer.

A.

Smitty
28th March 2009, 04:52 PM
Just to clear up my point of view (don't want you hating me Andy!!)

I have 100+ DVD collection. I visit the cinema 2/3 a month to see the big titles.

The only time I do something that's not quite right (since it's a public forum and all that, wink wink ;)) is when I want to watch a film i've seen at the cinema, but either it is not out on DVD yet, or it is too expensive.

Out of my collection of DVD's, I reckon only 10(ish) of them were bought when the film was released. The rest of them I tend to pick up in the sales (£3 - £10 price range).

I completely understand why you are so passionate about this, it is your career and business after all. But I think you have to differentiate between those who slighty bend the law on the odd occasion (Grieg, myself and many others no doubt) and those who completly break it, by either selling on pirate DVD's or mass downloading while adding nothing back to the industry.

IMHO by the music and movie industry need to get with the times, and realise that we now live in a digital world, where things are openly availble for free, whether they like it or not.

The music industry is very slowly catching onto this, and you see more and more singles or albums beng realeased for free, or at least allowing full streaming through the web. But i've yet to see the movie industry make a move in order to compromise between the two sides of the argument (please correct me if I'm wrong there)!

But whatever happens, i'll not stop my occasional cinema visits and i'll continue to add to my DVD collection whenever I see bargins :thumbs up:

P.S. I always make sure I buy at least a bag of Minstrals when going to see a film....does that make up for it?? :p :smilewinkgrin:

Scottie
28th March 2009, 05:04 PM
the thing is the DVD's are out so quick now after the movies have been in the cinema. It only took 4 months for the new Bond movie to be on dvd so don't see the point of downloading them, surely you get better quality on the original.

I buy all my movies from http://www.dvdworldusa.com/ and you get some really quick to come out. Region 1 though.

GCA3N
28th March 2009, 06:11 PM
Just to clear up my point of view (don't want you hating me Andy!!)

I have 100+ DVD collection. I visit the cinema 2/3 a month to see the big titles.

The only time I do something that's not quite right (since it's a public forum and all that, wink wink ;)) is when I want to watch a film i've seen at the cinema, but either it is not out on DVD yet, or it is too expensive.

Out of my collection of DVD's, I reckon only 10(ish) of them were bought when the film was released. The rest of them I tend to pick up in the sales (£3 - £10 price range).

I completely understand why you are so passionate about this, it is your career and business after all. But I think you have to differentiate between those who slighty bend the law on the odd occasion (Grieg, myself and many others no doubt) and those who completly break it, by either selling on pirate DVD's or mass downloading while adding nothing back to the industry.

IMHO by the music and movie industry need to get with the times, and realise that we now live in a digital world, where things are openly availble for free, whether they like it or not.

The music industry is very slowly catching onto this, and you see more and more singles or albums beng realeased for free, or at least allowing full streaming through the web. But i've yet to see the movie industry make a move in order to compromise between the two sides of the argument (please correct me if I'm wrong there)!

But whatever happens, i'll not stop my occasional cinema visits and i'll continue to add to my DVD collection whenever I see bargins :thumbs up:

P.S. I always make sure I buy at least a bag of Minstrals when going to see a film....does that make up for it?? :p :smilewinkgrin:

This is a very good point made, but I hate saying it we are all (some of us)far too guilty of not realising the bigger picture when it comes to piracy. It is one of things that you can pretend to turn a blind eye to, but when people like Andy show us the side we would rather not hear about it can make us (me) realise the actual reality of this practice. I for one have had my eyes opened with those facts and figures listed by Andy. I think is is important that people stand up for what is right and not be led by the masses. Lets be honest we would not dream of walking into HMV and lifting a DVD of the shelf (most of us would'nt anyway;)) Why should it be any different I guess with this. :bigwave:

Smitty
28th March 2009, 06:21 PM
Lets be honest we would not dream of walking into HMV and lifting a DVD of the shelf (most of us would'nt anyway;)) Why should it be any different I guess with this. :bigwave:

Another very good point - can't argue with that one!!

AndyP & Lenore
28th March 2009, 07:02 PM
Firstly, many thanks to everyone for a sensible, level headed discussion. There have a been a few "piracy" discussion on NSM which have got out of hand in the past.

Smitty: I don't hate you mate. Honest. I can't make my fingers type the letters that would say I agree with you "obtaining" even the odd dodgy DVD, but I respect and appreciate that the vast majority of your purchasing is genuine and honest.

I think you're right in that there is very little in the way of legal and free download options for movies, especially at the time of their cinema release. One or two of the major Hollywood studios would like to see DVD's and legal downloads be day and date with cinema release. Understandably (the CINEMA industry) comprising the CEA in the UK and NATO (not the nato your thinking of, it's actually the National Association of Theatre Owners in the USA) are fighting this suggestion vehemently.

There is an agreement between distributors and exhibitors which currently gives films an exclusive window of 16 weeks from it's first European public performance to the DVD release in any European territory. Occasionally distributors have broken this agreement and released a film onto DVD 2 or 3 weeks early. The most notable case of this was when Fox announced they would be releasing Night At The Museum 12 weeks after it's cinema release in on Boxing Day 2006. Fox made the mistake of announcing this just prior to the February half term period (traditionally a strong trading period, even for films running on from December release). Almost all cinema's in the UK too Night At The Museum off their screen immediately. This is how strongly we all feel about the erosion of this window - it's virtually the only protection we have.

This is also the reason the majority of films are now released worldwide on the same date. As well as the flood of pirate DVD's flooding into the UK market on theatrical release, the US DVD release was also earlier and so there was a fair bit of "grey market" purchasing going on, from web sites like Fi has listed. I'm not brandishing Fi a criminal here - far from it. But those DVD's being SOLD to the UK do not have a BBFC certificate, therefore can not legally be sold in or to the UK market. Quite how they get away with it, I don't know.

Smitty, your Minstrels purchase helps keep cinema's in films, many thanks.

I do like that analogy from Greig.:thumbs up: And it's very true.

We have a wee short film that runs on our plasma monitors, sandwiched between trailers, which goes along the lines of "You wouldn't steal a handbag, you wouldn't steal a car, you wouldn't steal... etc. Downloading films is stealing. The only way not to get caught is not to do it." I think it's a wee bit out of date, with the onset of the likes of services from BT and Sky + etc., which are perfectly legal - obviously - but the message remains very true.

Good conversation this. I hope it does help put into perspective my insane anally retentive attitude to illegal downloading and piracy in general.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
28th March 2009, 07:03 PM
Good lord!:thud: Just seen how my post above looks. I can ramble when I get on my soap box.:thumbs up:

A.:D

GCA3N
28th March 2009, 08:17 PM
Good lord!:thud: Just seen how my post above looks. I can ramble when I get on my soap box.:thumbs up:

:thumbs up::thumbs up::bigwave:

illegalhunter
28th March 2009, 08:44 PM
I never downloaded it just watched it

AndyP & Lenore
28th March 2009, 11:01 PM
I never downloaded it just watched it

Oh well. Thats OK then.:rolleyes:

A.

Scottie
29th March 2009, 12:03 AM
I'm not brandishing Fi a criminal here - far from it. But those DVD's being SOLD to the UK do not have a BBFC certificate, therefore can not legally be sold in or to the UK market. Quite how they get away with it, I don't know.

there must be a legal loop hole somewhere as the site seems to advertise openly on the internet and we can buy from them so why not. Marley and Me is brillant.:thumbs up: also Morrisons have started selling blue ray dvd at not to bad a price

AndyP & Lenore
29th March 2009, 02:05 AM
there must be a legal loop hole somewhere as the site seems to advertise openly on the internet and we can buy from them so why not. Marley and Me is brillant.:thumbs up: also Morrisons have started selling blue ray dvd at not to bad a price

Fi, I think the problem is these businesses are based in the USA and I don't think the US see it as a major issue for them. And because they are in the USA it is very difficult for UK authorities to "get to them."

However, I'll look into this.

A.

Gismo
29th March 2009, 06:48 AM
Well..........agree with everyone here, it's easy for us to sit on our morals and say we won't download, or watch or buy etc, but, take my niece for example, she earns the absolute minimum wage, part time, has 2 kids and a waster of a partner who can't (won't) work.
She pays all the bills, a good night out for her is getting home early and only having to make tea for her and the 2 kids.
She works so she doesn't have to sponge off the government, she'd be better off not working.

So, when offered a "loan" of a dodgy DVD what do you think she's gonna do?
Now, i'm not suggesting that i support her in this, but, hello world, that is her life.

For me, i'm surrounded by fake dvd's and music in Baku, it's so bad that i can't buy an original, trust me, i've looked :yes nod:
I don't buy them, i figure that i've spent as much as i have on my home cinema system that i'm not putting a poor quality dvd in there.
I easily own over 250 DVD's, that's more out of being fortunate to be able to buy them and now with the advent of blu ray i'm a bit more choosy.

I used to buy region 1 disks in the past from Play.com and i fully agree that i, as a consumer have the right to do so, if it's available, hell, why not, of course i've got to make my dvd player region free and is something i will continue to do, if i can get the best deal for me.

Hands up from those that have bought items from the states cause they are cheaper, or only available from there, Porter Polisher for example ;)

Also, use eBay for example, just about every DVD has written on it not for sale or resale without the original owners permission, does anyone here get that before selling??

There is a very fine line between mass buying to watching the occasional illegally downloaded or sourced dvd to lining the pockets of the terrorists and drug barons.
I don't personally do it, but, can understand why certain folks do.

So, Andy, you can be safe in the knowledge that when i go to the cinema i buy at least 15 quids worth of goodies, including juice, a hot dog and a bag of revels for me, more if Jase is there and nope, i don't take stuff in with me.

AndyP & Lenore
29th March 2009, 09:57 AM
Good post Alan. It's worrying that the situation in Baku is so bad with pirate stuff and no genuine stuff. Worlds gone mad.:frown:

I think as the recession hits harder, rather than cinema's seeing fewer admissions, the multiplexes are gonna see more and more folk "smuggling" their own food in rather than paying their prices. I think that will happen quicker than admissions will drop.

A.

Gismo
29th March 2009, 10:04 AM
I think as the recession hits harder, rather than cinema's seeing fewer admissions, the multiplexes are gonna see more and more folk "smuggling" their own food in rather than paying their prices. I think that will happen quicker than admissions will drop.

A.I'm gonna own up here, a long time ago, with the family, include 2 pre teen kids, we used to take food in with us, simply had to or we didn't go :Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
29th March 2009, 11:03 AM
I'm gonna own up here, a long time ago, with the family, include 2 pre teen kids, we used to take food in with us, simply had to or we didn't go :Whistle:

I may be alone (in our industry) in this opinion, but if that's the only way you can go to the cinema, I'd rather you went and did that, than not go at all. But it would help if the major's would price their sweets more sensibly. But, we've had this conversation before too.

AndyP & Lenore
29th March 2009, 11:04 AM
Back on topic.... Knowing.

It was actually quite busy last night, so maybe I was being overly harsh.:argh:

Ferengo
29th March 2009, 11:10 AM
Someone posted up earlier saying they downloaded music illegally. Speaking as a musician I don't mind too much. Depends on how it's done. Going to live gigs and playing them is it for me. I hate being in the studio so when it comes to the CD I'd rather I gave someone a copy for free or cost (50p roughly) than them downloading it. If they like the band and come to a gig then I feel that's fine.

Andy, I don't want to open a can of worms but how do you feel on people recording movies from the TV and keeping them? Is this not technically the same?

With the transition from DVD to Blu Ray it can be a tough choice for which format to buy it on. I mean £17.99 is a bit steep to pay for a film that's crap. While if you pay £7 for a DVD and then think "I shoulda bought that on Blu Ray".

Maybe a films review section would help people decide if they wanted to go/buy a movie rather than downloading it just to see, you know get someones opinion and make an educated guess rather than just playing safe and not paying for it.

P.S. I love going to the movies and always buy a hotdog, nachos, big drink and pic n mix when I go... boy I'm a fat B@st*rd!!!

Ferengo
29th March 2009, 11:12 AM
Back on topic.... Knowing.

It was actually quite busy last night, so maybe I was being overly harsh.:argh:

Well if it's anything like Bangkok Dangerous then I think you're right on the money, that was awful :frown:.

AndyP & Lenore
29th March 2009, 11:26 AM
Grant, recording from the TV is fine. At the end of the day, you've paid for it, whether it's through your TV licence, or on commercial TV you watch the ads - or at least it's the ads pay for the programming. And pay-per-view or subscription movie channels speak for themselves. However, whilst you can record and keep these films as long as you like, IIRC you're not supposed to pass them on to anyone else. Although I suspect that does happen. A lot. Speaking personally, by the time films are on the TV by whatever means, they are well away from the cinema, so without compromising my morals, it doesn't affect me the same.

As for the Blu-ray/DVD and film reviews suggestion... do you mean a film reviews section on NMS? There are a host of magazines and web sites to go to for reviews. Total Film, Empire, Film Review etc.

And I've met you, you're not fat.:moonie:

Ferengo
29th March 2009, 11:52 AM
As for the Blu-ray/DVD and film reviews suggestion... do you mean a film reviews section on NMS? There are a host of magazines and web sites to go to for reviews. Total Film, Empire, Film Review etc.

And I've met you, you're not fat.:moonie:

I suppose you're right, but at least with having one on NMS would be that it would be people you know and can discuss. Those sites have professional film critics and a huge amount of reviewers, but I gues it's not MINI related so maybe a reviews thread?

Ok I may not be fat but I skipped training this morning and am sitting watching the hockey eating my own weight in Doritos and it's not even mid day,. I soon will be, lol.

Also I'm off to Zavvi soon. They're doing loads of Blu Ray moives for under £10 :thumbs up:.

badwolf340
29th March 2009, 07:41 PM
just saw this post,really quite a balanced case by Andy ,must be hard when there is so much copying going on,similar sort of thing going on in building industry ,with guy's doing work on the side. any one with any kind of buisness does in the end suffer,on a personal note we get a chinese guy in ever week with all the new titles,and he does a lot of sales.myself I have a large selection of tapes :shut up: and DVD's ,I like getting special box set's etc.:thumbs up:

badwolf340
29th March 2009, 07:51 PM
not bought from chinese man i hasten to add

AndyP & Lenore
29th March 2009, 09:07 PM
not bought from chinese man i hasten to add

I did wonder. But didn't think you were quite daft enough to admit that on here.:moonie:

AndyP & Lenore
29th March 2009, 09:09 PM
Also I'm off to Zavvi soon. They're doing loads of Blu Ray moives for under £10 :thumbs up:.

Blu Ray movies for under a tenner is not bad.:D

Zavvi? Didn't they go to the wall?:frown:

ny152
29th March 2009, 09:52 PM
I'd much rather go to the cinema and get the full experience of a movie without any distractions. But at the same time I get really hacked off with those 'knock off Nigel' type ads that are run. Have noticed the price of admission going up - at my local it's just went from £5.90 to £6.20 and that must still be about the cheapest in Glasgow. To combat that we now tend to go only on Orange Wednesdays.

Also find the price of sweets and drinks a total rip-off. I've heard staff and managers say it's the only way they can afford to keep open, but isn't that like saying, "okay here's a MINI for £500, but you must buy our own special tyres for £15000 and we won't allow you to get your own fitted!" On the other hand, Vue do a good deal where you can get 8 items for £8 - so when we go to Stirling or Hamilton we usually get a hotdog, nachos, drink and popcorn each. Elsewhere, I'll continue to smuggle in my mineral water and mint imperials.... :popcorn: (what a fitting smiley!!)

p.s. any NMS folk intending to go to the Bo'Ness Hippodrome which is reopening in April - only £5 admission.

Ferengo
29th March 2009, 09:53 PM
The Hut group owns Zavvi online and some of their stores have been bought over. The one in Dundee did have a sign up saying something about new owners but it's still trading under Zavvi and has the same prices (Roughly) as online.

http://www.zavvi.co.uk/zavvi/zavvi/blu-ray/offers.list

There's a lot more in the store

Scottie
29th March 2009, 10:02 PM
p.s. any NMS folk intending to go to the Bo'Ness Hippodrome which is reopening in April - only £5 admission.

Bo'Ness not likely.:frown::frown:

Scottie
29th March 2009, 10:06 PM
I'm going to the Vue in Stirling for the first time soon to see fast and furious.

Mum is a member of thier saga deal and seems to get cheap tickets and stuff her and her mates go the cinema alot if not Vue then the McRobert its a popular choice and dirt cheap they always take their own sweets as she said no way can pensioners afford the cinema price.

AndyP & Lenore
29th March 2009, 10:35 PM
I'd much rather go to the cinema and get the full experience of a movie without any distractions. But at the same time I get really hacked off with those 'knock off Nigel' type ads that are run. Have noticed the price of admission going up - at my local it's just went from £5.90 to £6.20 and that must still be about the cheapest in Glasgow. To combat that we now tend to go only on Orange Wednesdays.

Also find the price of sweets and drinks a total rip-off. I've heard staff and managers say it's the only way they can afford to keep open, but isn't that like saying, "okay here's a MINI for £500, but you must buy our own special tyres for £15000 and we won't allow you to get your own fitted!" On the other hand, Vue do a good deal where you can get 8 items for £8 - so when we go to Stirling or Hamilton we usually get a hotdog, nachos, drink and popcorn each. Elsewhere, I'll continue to smuggle in my mineral water and mint imperials.... :popcorn: (what a fitting smiley!!)

The industry has recognised the "Knock-off Nigel" ads, whilst carried an important message, passed it on the wrong way. Lecturing to the honest customers who have paid for cinema tickets with hard-earned money is not the best way to get an anti-piracy message over. A new range of industry messages called "You make the movies" are due to launch in the next week or so, where we thank those customers who have paid for cinema tickets to watch a film in the cinema.

Don't really want to get deep into the economic of running a small business (or any business for that matter), but as much as cinema tickets have been rising for a while now, this has allowed a significant (£Millions) of investment in all the plush multiplexes you guys all now have the choice of going to as well as offsetting the massively increasing cost of running any business.

We kinda had this discussion a year or so ago, when I was at pains to point out I don't know of ANY cinema owner who has made themselves rich running a cinema. And the consolidation the exhibition sector of the industry saw in the mid 2000's was indicative of struggling businesses, not profitable ones.

I don't agree with your analogy of the MINI, sweets and wheels.:confused:

The Vue deal sounds a belter!:thumbs up::argh::D Never seen that at Ocean terminal.:confused: And Orange Wednesday's are becoming the second busiest cinema-going day of the week, depending on if a new biggie film is released on the Wednesday or the Friday.

Bo'ness Hippodrome: looks like that's similar to Hawick's Heart Of Hawick, and Peebles's The Eastgate project. Both of these venue's show 2 or 3 performances a week and the rest is theatre and music events. They do increase access to cultural arts and do a good job serving their local community. I may be wrong here though, maybe it's a full-time single screen cinema. If so, it won't survive without serious fiscal support.

AndyP & Lenore
29th March 2009, 10:39 PM
I'm going to the Vue in Stirling for the first time soon to see fast and furious.

Mum is a member of thier saga deal and seems to get cheap tickets and stuff her and her mates go the cinema alot if not Vue then the McRobert its a popular choice and dirt cheap they always take their own sweets as she said no way can pensioners afford the cinema price.

Fi, how are you gonna manage a full movie without a smoke?:laugh:

When you say your Mum can't afford the cinema prices, do you mean the Vue sweet prices or the MacRobert sweet prices?

A.

AndyP & Lenore
29th March 2009, 10:41 PM
Changed the thread title as the thread seems to have drifted somewhat away from the original topic.

A.:thumbs up:

Scottie
29th March 2009, 10:42 PM
Fi, how are you gonna manage a full movie without a smoke?:laugh:

When you say your Mum can't afford the cinema prices, do you mean the Vue sweet prices or the MacRobert sweet prices?

A.

I'll manage fine as I only smoke two fags during the day when at work.:D

Vue sweeties price is the one that she has spoken to me about.

McRobert I'm not sure about will need to ask think they all meet in the bar first.

AndyP & Lenore
29th March 2009, 10:53 PM
I'll manage fine as I only smoke two fags during the day when at work.:D

Vue sweeties price is the one that she has spoken to me about.

McRobert I'm not sure about will need to ask think they all meet in the bar first.

OK.

Vue sweetie prices are very expensive indeed - no argument from me there. I also find their pricing boards very confusing.:confused:

The Vue in Ocean terminal allow you to take your own sweets in (or at least they used to - although we never do). I'm pretty sure Cineworld prohibit it very strictly.

Lenore and I were in the Cineworld in Milton Kenyes a few weeks ago and we were in a queue to have our tickets torn, the guy in front was throwing a real hissy fit because the attendant would allow him in with a half-drunk cup of Starbucks coffee. The Manager was eventually called and they let him in. I understand their rule but common sense must apply.

Our own rule at the Pavilion is - well, we don't have a hard rule. We would prefer people wouldn't bring their own sweets in, but we don't have any signs up saying so, we don't physically prevent them, and we certainly don't search them - as some cinema's do.:frown:

ny152
30th March 2009, 12:49 AM
A new range of industry messages called "You make the movies" are due to launch in the next week or so, where we thank those customers who have paid for cinema tickets to watch a film in the cinema. That sounds like a far better way of getting the point across.

We kinda had this discussion a year or so ago, when I was at pains to point out I don't know of ANY cinema owner who has made themselves rich running a cinema. And the consolidation the exhibition sector of the industry saw in the mid 2000's was indicative of struggling businesses, not profitable ones.I wasn't referring to indie cinemas, more the chains. Pretty sure if they weren't making any money they'd either pull out or stop opening new cinemas (Odeon Braehead, Vue Stirling, and the really announced Vue Buchanan Galleries)

I don't agree with your analogy of the MINI, sweets and wheels.:confused:The point I was making is that they say the sweets and drink has to be priced in such a manner as that's where the profit comes from. In effect saying have a ticket at this price but then we're going to rip you off and charge you above other retailers (i.e. sweet shops) for the other things that complete the experience. I think I remember from a previous thread you saying that your confectionary prices were a bit more reasonable? Fair play to you and that would encourage me not to smuggle my own in. Cineworld ask that you don't bring shopping bags into their cinemas. Seeing as the one at Parkhead is in a shopping centre it's an odd request. Still, I'd love them to ask and check inside my bag :moonie:

The Vue deal sounds a belter!:thumbs up::argh::D Never seen that at Ocean terminal.:confused: And Orange Wednesday's are becoming the second busiest cinema-going day of the week, depending on if a new biggie film is released on the Wednesday or the Friday.The Vue deal is excellent, only wish more places done it. Orange Wednesday is great, also think you tend to get a good atmosphere on a Wednesday because of it. Cineworld Parkhead always seems way busier then - even more so than it does some weekends!

Bo'ness Hippodrome: looks like that's similar to Hawick's Heart Of Hawick, and Peebles's The Eastgate project. Both of these venue's show 2 or 3 performances a week and the rest is theatre and music events. They do increase access to cultural arts and do a good job serving their local community. I may be wrong here though, maybe it's a full-time single screen cinema. If so, it won't survive without serious fiscal support. Going by the brochure it appears to be showing films seven days a week with various special offers for children and daytime viewings. Price isn't my main reason for wanting to go though - I'm a big fan of old cinema buildings and can't wait to see the restoration job they've done on it.

euan
30th March 2009, 08:27 AM
Andy, cheers for updating the title, I was beginning to wonder why a thread about a rubbish film had got to 6 pages! I think this thread is one of those examples why we all come on here - open, level headed points of view and very welcome for it!

For me, going to the cinema is an expensive business, made worse by our local Odeon only selling the seats in the middle of the cinema as "Premium" in every screen, which basically means it's a bit wider but you pay 3 quid extra for the privilege. I know I live in a pricey area, but you now cannot sit in the middle of the cinema unless you pay the extra, and that doesn't seem right to me.

Orange Wednesday we've spoken about before, I think it's an example of great marketing via a simple concept - the cinemas gain from a busy night midweek, Orange gain as everybody uses their name in the title! I see they've now extended it to Pizza Express as well (2 for 1 pizza on Wednesdays) which I'm less impressed about as that's just taking advantage of the scheme. Still a good deal though.

I don't take in my own sweeties, though if I had kids I'd be tempted to - as Gismo said, if it's a choice between doing that or not going to the cinema it's the lesser of the two evils.

For the record, never downloaded a film off the internet - I have full surround sound setup so would seem a bit of waste to do that!

Gismo
30th March 2009, 08:37 AM
For the record, never downloaded a film off the internet - I have full surround sound setup so would seem a bit of waste to do that!Same here.

One thing i do though, is record many tv programmes and transfer them to my Archos for watching when i'm away in Baku :thumbs up:
Sadly, i managed to miss a recent tv programme, one of Ross Kemps Afghanistan episodes and have been reading up on how to get it cause it's not scheduled for a repeat on the telly.

So, i've read many reviews etc and think that rapidshare is a legal way of gettin what i want.
I'm not really for file sharing programmes and this one, i believe you have to pay for?
I can't access the site due to my works web sense, but, i am wanting to "do the right thing" and this is what folks are telling me, i'll fully research when i get home.
If it's at all dodgy then i won't be doing it.

I want to be able to download a lot more tv series, like heroes, primevil etc etc, providing it's legit, does this fall into the same category as we are discussing?

euan
30th March 2009, 09:23 AM
Same here.

One thing i do though, is record many tv programmes and transfer them to my Archos for watching when i'm away in Baku :thumbs up:
Sadly, i managed to miss a recent tv programme, one of Ross Kemps Afghanistan episodes and have been reading up on how to get it cause it's not scheduled for a repeat on the telly.

So, i've read many reviews etc and think that rapidshare is a legal way of gettin what i want.
I'm not really for file sharing programmes and this one, i believe you have to pay for?
I can't access the site due to my works web sense, but, i am wanting to "do the right thing" and this is what folks are telling me, i'll fully research when i get home.

I want to be able to download a lot more tv series, like heroes, primevil etc etc, providing it's legit, does this fall into the same category as we are discussing?

I think it does fall into the same category, and I think it's dodgy if you go the rapidshare route. If your talking about ripping it from your sky+ then that's fine, but downloading stuff that other people have copied isn't. It's a fine line though.

Gismo
30th March 2009, 09:29 AM
I think it does fall into the same category, and I think it's dodgy if you go the rapidshare route. If your talking about ripping it from your sky+ then that's fine, but downloading stuff that other people have copied isn't. It's a fine line though.Of course i'm working blind here cause i can't access their site, but, had thought, probably wrongly, that cause you have to pay for the service that it may be ok.
Sounds like it could be iffy, so i won't do it if it is ;)

AndyP & Lenore
30th March 2009, 10:06 AM
That sounds like a far better way of getting the point across.

I wasn't referring to indie cinemas, more the chains. Pretty sure if they weren't making any money they'd either pull out or stop opening new cinemas (Odeon Braehead, Vue Stirling, and the really announced Vue Buchanan Galleries)

The point I was making is that they say the sweets and drink has to be priced in such a manner as that's where the profit comes from. In effect saying have a ticket at this price but then we're going to rip you off and charge you above other retailers (i.e. sweet shops) for the other things that complete the experience. I think I remember from a previous thread you saying that your confectionary prices were a bit more reasonable? Fair play to you and that would encourage me not to smuggle my own in. Cineworld ask that you don't bring shopping bags into their cinemas. Seeing as the one at Parkhead is in a shopping centre it's an odd request. Still, I'd love them to ask and check inside my bag :moonie:

The Vue deal is excellent, only wish more places done it. Orange Wednesday is great, also think you tend to get a good atmosphere on a Wednesday because of it. Cineworld Parkhead always seems way busier then - even more so than it does some weekends!

Going by the brochure it appears to be showing films seven days a week with various special offers for children and daytime viewings. Price isn't my main reason for wanting to go though - I'm a big fan of old cinema buildings and can't wait to see the restoration job they've done on it.

I kind of agree with you. Although the propagation of 'plexes has stopped. More screens closed than opened last year.

Don't want to turn this into a "pavilion Ad" but our prices are much more sensible. We had a 20's something couple in a few days ago.. they ordered a medium popcorn, a couple of medium drinks and a big bag of sweets. I rang it up in the till and told them the cost and they looked at me like I was stupid. Looked at each other and just grinned. He swapped his prepared £20 for a £10 and said, "Sorry, we're just much more used to city prices. Would have cost twice that much in Glasgow." I love customers like that.

You're spot on about Orange Wednesday's nights. Great atmosphere and a real social occasion. Better still Orange pay us 39p for each FREE ticket we give away.

Bo'ness... regardless of how they are going to run it, as single screen it will require a significant amount of funding. Love seeing these old buildings brought back to life too though.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
30th March 2009, 10:13 AM
Same here.

I think it does fall into the same category, and I think it's dodgy if you go the rapidshare route. If your talking about ripping it from your sky+ then that's fine, but downloading stuff that other people have copied isn't. It's a fine line though.

Of course i'm working blind here cause i can't access their site, but, had thought, probably wrongly, that cause you have to pay for the service that it may be ok.
Sounds like it could be iffy, so i won't do it if it is ;)

Andy, cheers for updating the title, I was beginning to wonder why a thread about a rubbish film had got to 6 pages! I think this thread is one of those examples why we all come on here - open, level headed points of view and very welcome for it!

For me, going to the cinema is an expensive business, made worse by our local Odeon only selling the seats in the middle of the cinema as "Premium" in every screen, which basically means it's a bit wider but you pay 3 quid extra for the privilege. I know I live in a pricey area, but you now cannot sit in the middle of the cinema unless you pay the extra, and that doesn't seem right to me.

Orange Wednesday we've spoken about before, I think it's an example of great marketing via a simple concept - the cinemas gain from a busy night midweek, Orange gain as everybody uses their name in the title! I see they've now extended it to Pizza Express as well (2 for 1 pizza on Wednesdays) which I'm less impressed about as that's just taking advantage of the scheme. Still a good deal though.

I don't take in my own sweeties, though if I had kids I'd be tempted to - as Gismo said, if it's a choice between doing that or not going to the cinema it's the lesser of the two evils.

For the record, never downloaded a film off the internet - I have full surround sound setup so would seem a bit of waste to do that!

Euan, nae bother. Although I'm set for 20 posts per page so my thread only goes to 3 pages. Wondering if I'm missing out on something, as you guys are getting better value for money; 6 pages to my 3.:laugh:

Odeon: most operators put their premium seats at the back of the hall. Strange that Odeon put them in the middle. And like you say, unless you pay the premium price you can't sit in the middle. Strange. Biggest operator in the UK, so I guess it works for them.:confused:

A.

AndyP & Lenore
30th March 2009, 10:14 AM
Surprised, so far, that no-one has moaned... "And why do we have to pay a premium for 3D!":eek:

Gismo
30th March 2009, 10:20 AM
Don't want to turn this into a "pavilion Ad" but our prices are much more sensibleDon't mention it then :hand: :D

AndyP & Lenore
30th March 2009, 10:24 AM
Don't mention it then :hand: :D

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-finger007.gif

I can see this smiley being used a bit between you and I, I've used it twice today already. Perhaps better add it to the list.:thumbs up:

zimbo
30th March 2009, 10:25 AM
Odeon: Biggest operator in the UK
A.

And the worst to go see pics at, probably so they can fit more people in... their seats are tiny and so uncomfortable unlike cineworlds or Andys :D

Sorry for going :off topic:

zimbo
30th March 2009, 10:25 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-finger007.gif

I can see this smiley being used a bit between you and I, I've used it twice today already. Perhaps better add it to the list.:thumbs up:

:lol:

euan
30th March 2009, 10:35 AM
Surprised, so far, that no-one has moaned... "And why do we have to pay a premium for 3D!":eek:

Well, we've spoken before about IMAX. I've certainly not been in to see an IMAX film in Wimbledon yet, I would do it on an Orange Wednesday but I've not been free yet to try it!

When I say in the middle, I mean from about a third of the way back, it's all premium. However, the screens are so large that sitting that close to the front does my eyes in, particularly if it's an action film with lots going on. Either way, you'd avoid those seats.

AndyP & Lenore
30th March 2009, 11:02 AM
Well, we've spoken before about IMAX. I've certainly not been in to see an IMAX film in Wimbledon yet, I would do it on an Orange Wednesday but I've not been free yet to try it!

When I say in the middle, I mean from about a third of the way back, it's all premium. However, the screens are so large that sitting that close to the front does my eyes in, particularly if it's an action film with lots going on. Either way, you'd avoid those seats.

Does IMAX participate in Orange Wednesdays?

A.

euan
30th March 2009, 11:40 AM
Does IMAX participate in Orange Wednesdays?

A.

You certainly can at ours as it's an IMAX within a cinema, rather than a dedicated IMAX - they may be different though.

Stewart
30th March 2009, 04:56 PM
With Mr Allan on the Music side, must have 3k worth of CD’s and used to buy Albums and loved building the collection but it got to the stage you were paying £17.99 for them and I stopped and never started again. I buy the odd Album when I see them now for £7 etc……Same with the DVD’s over priced years ago….

Music industry was blind robbing with agreed prices between the shops etc….Then online shopping hit and blew that out the water…..

The Film theatre I never had a problem with, Not been in years mainly because everyone got Married with kids….I went with. Used to be £5 for comfy seats……..

Think the worst ever was that Vanilla Sky (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259711/) (2001)
One of the best on the big screen and it needed it for the beach scene was Saving Private Ryan……..

. "smuggling" their own food in rather than paying their prices”

Guilty I never liked the drinks and used to take Capri-sun drinks in.

euan
30th March 2009, 06:22 PM
. "smuggling" their own food in rather than paying their prices”

Guilty I never liked the drinks and used to take Capri-sun drinks in.

I hate that syrup stuff you get as well, just can't help thinking your pouring crap into your system.

Scottie
30th March 2009, 06:25 PM
I only use itunes for music.

Movies I don't buy so much now that I've gone blue ray I dare say the price will come down eventually. Looking to get top gun soon and I hope universal will allow Apollo 13 to come out in blue ray:argh:

As for going to the movies I don't go the cinema much and TBH it's not really because of the price although I still would not give the money for the sweeties the reason why I don't go is because I cant be bothered going back out it takes up to much of the evening with travel included your talking 3 hours I'd much rather just wait and watch in the comfort of my own home where I can pause the movie whenever I want. Lazy maybe but it's just me. I'm sure there will be a few just like me.:blush:

AndyP & Lenore
30th March 2009, 07:04 PM
I only use itunes for music.

Movies I don't buy so much now that I've gone blue ray I dare say the price will come down eventually. Looking to get top gun soon and I hope universal will allow Apollo 13 to come out in blue ray:argh:

As for going to the movies I don't go the cinema much and TBH it's not really because of the price although I still would not give the money for the sweeties the reason why I don't go is because I cant be bothered going back out it takes up to much of the evening with travel included your talking 3 hours I'd much rather just wait and watch in the comfort of my own home where I can pause the movie whenever I want. Lazy maybe but it's just me. I'm sure there will be a few just like me.:blush:

Fi, there are millions of you. Not literally, of course. But your age group makes up the largest proportion of the population, yet you make less trips to the cinema per year than someone half you age. But I'm guessing your age here because it would be rude to ask.

A.

Scottie
30th March 2009, 08:44 PM
Fi, there are millions of you. Not literally, of course. But your age group makes up the largest proportion of the population, yet you make less trips to the cinema per year than someone half you age. But I'm guessing your age here because it would be rude to ask.

A.

I'll be 46 this year:eek::eek::eek: yeah I know I don't look a day over 30:Whistle::smilewinkgrin:

ny152
30th March 2009, 09:51 PM
You're spot on about Orange Wednesday's nights. Great atmosphere and a real social occasion. Better still Orange pay us 39p for each FREE ticket we give away.

Always wondered what the cinema cut was - is that the same rate for Odeon, Cineworld etc?

Out of interest, what do you think about Cineworld Unlimited Cards - I had one for years and used to go to the cinema every week. Even bought the 'expensive' food sometimes because I wasn't paying an admission fee as such (just the £12 a month card subscription). Only stopped the cards when they changed the film times and they were on too late for the missus on a work night :argh:. Always thought it was a great idea though and wondered why more cinemas didn't do the same.

AndyP & Lenore
31st March 2009, 01:38 AM
I'll be 46 this year:eek::eek::eek: yeah I know I don't look a day over 30:Whistle::smilewinkgrin:

29, I'd have thought.

A.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
31st March 2009, 01:48 AM
Always wondered what the cinema cut was - is that the same rate for Odeon, Cineworld etc?

Out of interest, what do you think about Cineworld Unlimited Cards - I had one for years and used to go to the cinema every week. Even bought the 'expensive' food sometimes because I wasn't paying an admission fee as such (just the £12 a month card subscription). Only stopped the cards when they changed the film times and they were on too late for the missus on a work night :argh:. Always thought it was a great idea though and wondered why more cinemas didn't do the same.

As far as I know everyone gets the same. And it's six monthly in arrears.:eek: To be honest, it's not much, but the level of business coming in on Wednesday's sort of makes up for it. I don't think Wednesday's would be as busy if Orange Wednesday's wasn't there.

Unlimited cards are fine if you have the infrastructure there to administer them and you have a sufficient customer base to make it worthwhile having that administration team. For us it wouldn't be worth it.

I know when they first started the card they fell out with a few distributors who withdrew their films. This was resolved, but I honestly don't know how. All cinemas pay for films on a percentage basis - on some films in the first couple of weeks that can be as high as 70%, and on two occasions I can remember it was over 90% I KID YOU NOT! As films are paid for by percentage of nett take, the distributors wanted to know how Cineworld were attributing admissions to their films, in order to calculate their share. It was all just suddenly "resolved" but I don't recall ever hearing how.

I can't help thinking though, if it was a real profit generator, how come Odeon, Vue, Showcase etc., haven't jumped onto the band-waggon?

A.