PDA

View Full Version : BMC CDA induction kits

lowrider
26th March 2009, 01:47 AM
I have been looking at these kits and was wondering if anyone has fitted one?
Reading up on them on mini2 some have said they are an a**e to fit but worth it.
Advice appreciated.

Cheers, Ag.

josh_r53
26th March 2009, 03:28 PM
I had one on my saxo but to be honest the amount of kits out there that are specifically made to fit the MINI it would be better going for one of them in my opinion, the BMC CDA is generic and doesnt have much difference between its kits, for the price I would get a GTT, alta or the like.

Josh

lowrider
26th March 2009, 10:02 PM
Cheers Josh, I found one on another mini site and the chap selling to me is giving advice on fitting to my mini.

Research on this.....looks like this is a decent bit of kit with a carbon fibre can which saves making an enclosure for cold air (as the carbon fibre is heat resistant) Due to the restriction on space in the engine bay, the BMC kit seems like a good option. I have been told that a K&N 57i kit can do the same job if you enclose it and pipe a cold feed to it. Has anyone managed this on a cooper engine bay? Seems a bit tight to me.

Any advice on induction appreciated.

lowrider
28th March 2009, 11:20 AM
Bumpiti Bumpo

Crombers
30th March 2009, 09:46 AM
I have been told that a K&N 57i kit can do the same job if you enclose it and pipe a cold feed to it. Has anyone managed this on a cooper engine bay? Seems a bit tight to me.

Any advice on induction appreciated.

Same here. If anyone has looked into getting a cold feed to the 57i then please do share. :thumbs up:

lowrider
30th March 2009, 08:54 PM
Awaiting delivery of my BMC CDA kit :smilewinkgrin:mmmmm carbon fibre!

Would appreciate some advice on removing the standard air box

As to the best location for the cold feed, I guess I'll have to figure it out myself as you lot are rubbish:laugh:

Thanks in advance, Ag.

lowrider
4th April 2009, 10:44 AM
Fitted the kit last night, bit tight and still have to route a cold air feed. Two options really
1. As the kit sits vertical run a feed from the weather shield (not sure if there could be water ingress)
2. Feed the existing cold ram to the kit with an extension tube.

The first option would be a more direct feed = better air flow but I am a little worried about the possibility of water travelling into the kit.

The car feels smoother though, would'nt comment on power increase until its been RR, induction sound is incredible (Subaru like!)

I have also bought a s/h M7 induction kit which I will try, so possibly will sell on one of the kits.

All feedback appreciated. :thumbs up:

Craig
4th April 2009, 11:23 AM
I must have missed the bit about removing the std airbox... DOH!... it's very easy, just a couple of bolts and a clip... (but you prob know that now...)

I have a K & N 57i on my cooper and I get a coldish feed by putting a piece of tube in front the standard intake (at the centre of the car behind the grill) which brings the air to just next to the filter. Seems to work well.

Never seen one of these kits your talking about lowrider, so a piccie would be good. ;)

GCA3N
4th April 2009, 08:15 PM
I have a K & N 57i on my cooper and I get a coldish feed by putting a piece of tube in front the standard intake (at the centre of the car behind the grill) which brings the air to just next to the filter. Seems to work well.

Thats exactly what i did too:thumbs up:

Knox18
4th April 2009, 10:46 PM
wish we could run sealed boxes in the smcc, the bmc cda on my ax is awesome! :thumbs up:

lowrider
5th April 2009, 09:29 AM
I plan to run an extention pipe from the original ram pipe. Need a 70mm flexi pipe
tried the local moto-factors but they only have up to 63mm. Greig,Craig where did you get your pipe from and does it fit over the original feed? Have seen some nasty home fit jobs and want to make it look decent and give good performance.:thumbs up: I'll get round to the pics,meantime here's a link........

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/infoCDA.asp

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/VisDetailDyno.asp?ID=3

Right enough, I used flexi silicone pipe, looks much better and will last longer than the hoover pipe that come with the BMC kit.:laugh:

lowrider
6th April 2009, 08:17 PM
Fitted the cold feed tonight.Now one sealed pipe running from the original ram feed into the induction kit. Does make the car feel more 'lively' but has resulted in the induction sound disappearing :frown:

Obviously wanting to feed cold air to the kit, I would like to retain the induction sound. Would it be ok for me to disconnect the feed where it joins the induction kit and just have it pointing at the opening resulting in the sound returning? My concern is that due to space restriction the kit will draw in warm air which could be harmful (correct me if I'm wrong)

As usual, all advice appreciated.

Craig
6th April 2009, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't worry about the warm air thing too much as most induction kits don't have a cold air feed which is sealed. (like mine which is a 57i K & N):thumbs up::thumbs up:

doogz__
8th April 2009, 11:24 AM
Fitting a 57i is a bit of a waste of time and money tbh, you’d be better buying the K&N replacement panel filter and using the standard airbox.

Even if you run a piece of ducting from up front somewhere to it, you think the filter is going to realise that that’s where the cold air is coming from, and only suck from there? Cold air feeds are rather pointless unless the filter is enclosed, i.e. BMC CDA, Green Enclosed’s, the old Procomp’s, the new K&N enclosed effort etc.

And Knox, the BMC CDA is a nice piece of kit, but you know as well as I do that your AX needs throttle bodies.

lowrider
8th April 2009, 05:07 PM
Fitted the cold feed tonight.Now one sealed pipe running from the original ram feed into the induction kit. Does make the car feel more 'lively' but has resulted in the induction sound disappearing :frown:

Obviously wanting to feed cold air to the kit, I would like to retain the induction sound. Would it be ok for me to disconnect the feed where it joins the induction kit and just have it pointing at the opening resulting in the sound returning? My concern is that due to space restriction the kit will draw in warm air which could be harmful (correct me if I'm wrong)

As usual, all advice appreciated.

I'm repeating the question as looking into this suggests warm air can be harmful/result in power loss and I would like to have my BMC without a sealed cold feed.:thumbs up:

GCA3N
8th April 2009, 05:54 PM
I'm pretty sure it won't harm your car but it does make a difference in performance.

doogz__
9th April 2009, 08:24 AM
You will only ever pull a volume of air into your cylinder, equal to the volume of said cylinder, unless you're using some sort of forced induction.

Cold air is more dense though, than warm air.

So you'll only get the same volume of air in, but there will be a greater mass of air in the cylinder. Your MAF sensor picks up on this, and adjusts the fuelling accordingly.

More Air + More Fuel = Bigger Bang.

So feeding the engine cold air is better for power output, but the temperature of the air has no effect on the engine working, it is not harmful if you're drawing in warmer air.

GCA3N
9th April 2009, 09:05 AM
You will only ever pull a volume of air into your cylinder, equal to the volume of said cylinder, unless you're using some sort of forced induction.

Cold air is more dense though, than warm air.

So you'll only get the same volume of air in, but there will be a greater mass of air in the cylinder. Your MAF sensor picks up on this, and adjusts the fuelling accordingly.

More Air + More Fuel = Bigger Bang.

So feeding the engine cold air is better for power output, but the temperature of the air has no effect on the engine working, it is not harmful if you're drawing in warmer air.

yes what he said!

lowrider
9th April 2009, 09:16 PM
That fits in with the fitting of my sealed cold feed. Prior to fitting the feed the response was a little reluctant but the induction sound was great! A few days after fitting the cold feed the car has adjusted (ECU) and the response has really been improved.:thumbs up: The car does feel a little jerky when lifting of the gas which I would like to cure. Any ideas?

doogz__
10th April 2009, 07:35 AM
be smoother coming off the gas?

Na, need more info, did it always used to do this, or is this a new thing since you changed the air filter?

I've never actually worked on a new Mini, everything i just posted is bog standard thermodynamics and fluid mechanics, so, when you remove the old filter housing, what sensors do you have to contend with?

Also, what model/engine do you have?

shaunbhoy67
10th April 2009, 01:30 PM
how much of a difference will having the bmc cda do to fuel running, i.e. how much more petrol will it use if i was to fit it to my S?? just i was looking at buying one but not if it will drink a hefty amount of juice

lowrider
11th April 2009, 12:14 AM
be smoother coming off the gas?

Na, need more info, did it always used to do this, or is this a new thing since you changed the air filter?

I've never actually worked on a new Mini, everything i just posted is bog standard thermodynamics and fluid mechanics, so, when you remove the old filter housing, what sensors do you have to contend with?

Also, what model/engine do you have?

r50 2002 cooper
With the old air box off I just connected a silicone flexi pipe to the existing pipe,so no sensors were touched. The car did feel jerky prior to fitting,come to think of it!

I have just received one of these

http://www.ddmworks.com/mini/non_s_mini/r50/engine/cold_air_intake.html :D

I'll get round to trying this out at some point to find out which I prefer, but I'm loving the BMC just now, what a difference :thumbs up:

Not sure about fuel intake yet Shaun. I'll set the trip comp. next time I fill up and let you know.

shaunbhoy67
11th April 2009, 01:19 PM
cheers mate just would be interesting to know! hopefully will have one for the summer, just trying to save some money but i will be getting one for sure lol

doogz__
14th April 2009, 08:14 AM
Should make approximately f*ck all difference to economy. The only difference you'll perhaps notice is that it'll drink a little bit more because you're a bit more rev happy, because you like the noise, but under normal every day driving conditions, it shouldn't make a difference. You'll only really use more fuel if you can use more air, which you're not, you're just making it easier for the car to breathe

lowrider
14th April 2009, 05:46 PM
What he said! 35.46mpg so no difference really. Personally I think the car feels much more responsive and smoother, I love it.The induction sound is throaty yet subtle at high revs:thumbs up: Exhaust next on the list !

shaunbhoy67
15th April 2009, 12:59 PM
cheers for that guys that is on my list just wait till next month before i get it me thinks!:D

shaunbhoy67
2nd May 2009, 09:26 PM
I got my bmc the other day but me and my friend had difficulty fitting it and ran out of light just wondering if anyone else had difficulties or with fitting or whether was just me! Just found the lack of space slightly challenging lol

lowrider
3rd May 2009, 05:27 PM
'tis tight but does fit. Pm'd you re fitting :thumbs up:

shaunbhoy67
4th May 2009, 04:04 PM
cheers got it fitted the day so everything is all fine now cheers for that though:thumbs up:

lowrider
23rd May 2009, 02:22 PM
Got a playmini fitted and it really compliments the BMC kit. Smooth delivery of power and more responsive:D I will try the DDM Works kit next month to see if there which I prefer