PDA

View Full Version : Center dash downpipe rattle

rocker4500
25th March 2009, 11:54 PM
I have, occassionaly, this bloody annoying rattle which seems to come from my left hand side center downpipe (the bit comming down from the dash with the radio etc fixed to it lol). I have have attempted to tighten it but it was already pretty tight. Its been rattling for a while but I just cant take it anymore!!!! :ragin: It just seems to be at the bottom where it fits into the froor bit.

What a great explination that is lol :D

Anyone ever had any similar issus and any ideas as to how to stop it?

AndyP & Lenore
26th March 2009, 12:02 AM
Now don't think I'm stupid here. But try this....

As you're driving along and the rattle starts, try holding your rear view mirror. We had this problem in our R53 and we were convinced the noise was coming from the bottom of the downtubes. Turned out to be the rear view mirror. Went through two of them before it was fixed proper.

A.

rocker4500
26th March 2009, 12:07 AM
:lol: very odd!!! I shall give it a bash! I do think i have attempted holding the downpipe and the rattle stopped...but then again i could be totally wrong! Initialy I thought it was the glove box, then the cup holder, then..there was something else, but this time i thought i had it nailed! However i will give the mirror business a try and see :thumbs up: cheers

Gismo
26th March 2009, 06:23 AM
If it is the downpipe simply wedge a piece of rubber in the slight gap where the down pipe enters the base part, even better explanation :blush:
Wedge it at the back where you can't see it :thumbs up:

Fester
26th March 2009, 09:59 PM
Just to add my tuppence worth but I thought mine was rattling too but I now think it is the cover on the "A" post on the passenger side best repair I have found is turning up the volume on the stereo seems to make the rattle stop (or at least I can't hear it) :thumbs up:

antihero3000
13th April 2009, 02:34 PM
Did you get this fixed in the end?

I've just had every piece of trim removed in my car (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=17338)before they finally worked out the source :yes nod: