PDA

View Full Version : Mini Lowering And Hids

TheMirrorImage
23rd March 2009, 09:38 PM
Hi all, just wondering whats the best lowering springs to go for? Its a 58 plate mini cooper, looking for roughly a 40mm drop. And also the best/cheapest place to get them?

And second of all anyone know what hid kit is required for the same 58 plate cooper. It doesnt have projector headlights.

Thanks
Mark

AndyP & Lenore
23rd March 2009, 10:26 PM
Can't answer either of your questions I'm afraid - not done either to our MINI's. I think KW Coil-over (SP?) seem to be the popular choice, but I'm sure others will have more info for you.:thumbs up:

Also, I've moved the thread to MINI Mods, Faults & Fixes forum as it seemed more appropriate.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Ivano
23rd March 2009, 10:51 PM
If it is Lowering Springs you are after then i would recommend either Eibach, KW or H&R. I have run all these variants over the years on the few MINIs i have owned.. They are all progressive and will achieve lowering between 30mm and 35mm. These will suit standard dampers..

If you are planning on going down a more expensive and superior handling route then Coilovers are what you are looking for..

KW Variant 1 Coilovers (with factory set Damping) are excellent or there are the Variant 2's where they have adjustable damper settings if you want to play around with your suspension settings.

Eibach Pro Street Coilovers are good too (KW use the same struts as the Eibachs as i think the two companies are linked in some way..

Bilstein PSS Coilovers are good quality too. Gismo Man will be along shortly to confirm as he has just installed a set.

Some MINI tuners in the UK are importing M7 Tuning Coilovers from the States. M7 are an american MINI tuner. These kits are meant to be excellent albeit that they are more pricey than the items above. A Google search should source these but i think Essential MINI were doing them at some point...

If you are just looking for simple lowering then Lowering springs only are the route you want to take...

Check out www.lohen.co.uk for options and pricing.

Give me a shout if you need anymore help :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Gismo
24th March 2009, 05:21 AM
Yep, i have the Bilstein setup, dropped 30mm, but, i have the 1st gen MINI, not sure of anything out for the 2nd gen yet

TheMirrorImage
24th March 2009, 10:40 AM
thanks guys, brilliant help, if it was my car id would be coilovers as i have on my type r but its for a female friend who never drives fast so i suggested the kw springs to her.

Ivano
24th March 2009, 02:28 PM
thanks guys, brilliant help, if it was my car id would be coilovers as i have on my type r but its for a female friend who never drives fast so i suggested the kw springs to her.

You won't go wrong with KW Springs. They will probably lower the car more than the Eibachs etc. Well they do on the Gen 1 Cars (35mm) :thumbs up:

rosssp
30th March 2009, 10:34 AM
I've just put my car on to eibach springs, they have lowered it 25mm all round. Very happy with the ride height, the ride comfort hasn't changed from when standard as i have the sports plus suspension dampners. Would recommend the eibach springs but if your wanting lower then its another brand you want.
:computer::D