PDA

View Full Version : Foam Stuff

Gismo
23rd March 2009, 09:51 AM
Ok, i have a power washer, not karcher, an equivalent, it's red :blush:
Anyway, i wanna dowse my car like what you professionals do, i have the lance and it even has a bottle type thing, so, does that do it?
Also, what foam stuff do i buy

This year i intend to look after my car more :thumbs up:

Equipment list:-

Polished Bliss
HD Foam Lance (check fitment)
Meguiars Hyper Wash
Poorboys Wheel Sealant

Chemical Guys
Trim Gel

ianking
23rd March 2009, 10:12 AM
The wee bottle thingy that comes with the machine is not a foam gun, its simply just a dispenser that sprays out soap, to be fair they are pretty rubbish.

I would go for the foam gun that Polished Bliss sell. I use mine lots and there have been no issues with it. Also if you phone polished bliss Rich will give you all the tech advice you need. you could use megs hyper wash that he sells for the gun or you could also get some foam from chemicalguys uk. I am using the chemical guys stuff at present but will prob go back to megs hyper wash as it really really foams up and the dilution rate is huge so dont let the £22 per bottle put you off.

Gismo
23rd March 2009, 10:15 AM
Cheers Ian, i'll look into that :thumbs up:
Are the lance fittings universal, or would i need to buy a suitable power washer

Edit: Noticed on the PB site that fittings are available, i just need to work out what type washer i have, will defo get this when i get home

zimbo
23rd March 2009, 10:29 AM
Ok, i have a power washer, not karcher, an equivalent, it's red :blush:
Anyway, i wanna dowse my car like what you professionals do, i have the lance and it even has a bottle type thing, so, does that do it?
Also, what foam stuff do i but

:eek: :thud: :clap:

AndyP & Lenore
23rd March 2009, 12:10 PM

:eek: :thud: :clap:

Yeah. Wot Zimbo said!

A.:thud::thud::thud:

Gismo
23rd March 2009, 12:14 PM
While i've got everyone's attention, i'll also be looking at protecting the newly powder coated wheels, so, what do i do and what do i use?

Do i have to remove the wheels and do inside and out, or just the outer rims

AndyP & Lenore
23rd March 2009, 12:20 PM
Poorboys Wheel Sealant. Fantastic stuff. And, yes, remove the wheels, clean thoroughly, dry with MF towel then coat the entire wheel.

And all joking aside, congrats on taking the cleaning plunge. You may just get honorary membership of the shiny club after all.:thumbs up:

A.:thumbs up:

ianking
23rd March 2009, 12:27 PM
yeah poorboys wheel sealant is good and easy to use.
Also available from polished bliss.

Take the wheel off and do the whole thing. I also use the poorboys on my red calipers and it makes them nice and shiney and easier to clean in the future.

Well done to you Alan. :D

Gismo
23rd March 2009, 12:38 PM
And all joking aside, congrats on taking the cleaning plunge. You may just get honorary membership of the shiny club after all.:thumbs up:

Well done to you Alan. :DSteady on, i've not done it yet :Whistle:

Gismo
23rd March 2009, 12:57 PM
Ok, i've started a wee list :blush:
But, i know i already have Meguiars shampoo, so am gonna use that and also i have Meguiars Gold Class Polish, I have a clay bar...................somewhere and will use it, what else do i need to compliment the paintwork?

Remember, i aint gonna be doing this every week :frown:

ianking
23rd March 2009, 01:01 PM
You will need lubrication for the clay bar. Mequiars detailing spray is fine for this.

I would also suggest an all purpose cleaner as that can be used for spraying under the arches, cleaning the wheels, cleaning the door checks and generally cleaning interior surfaces. I would suggest a trim gel (unless you have color coded the arches). I am using chemical guys trim gel at the moment and its great stuff. A tyre shine is also a nice thing to have , particularly if you have nice wheels as it really compliments them. Merguiars hot sine or something like that. Also a glass cleaner and thats pretty much the basics.

AndyP & Lenore
23rd March 2009, 03:16 PM
Alan, has your clay bar been kept sealed? What I mean is, if you bought it 2 years ago, opened it up and thought "stuff it, cannae be bothered". Then just stuck it in a your garage somewhere, it will probably have dried out. If it's been opened it will need kept in a Tupperware tub or something like that to keep the air out of it. If it's still sealed it should be fine, but if not, you'll probably need another one.

Also, on the claying side of things.... I noticed after I clayed the other day, my car was covered in blemishes. Wee (almost) holographic blemishes all over the paintwork. I wasn't worried because I knew I was gonna be machine polishing it. I don't know enough about all this to say that if you clay then wax without polishing, it will rid your car of the marks.

If I'm making sense.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
23rd March 2009, 03:18 PM
For the windaes.... Autoglym Car Glass Polish. The absolute muts nuts for polishing up glass - inside and out.:thumbs up:

And remember to get inside the car and shut the door to do the inside properly, otherwise when you close the door and the window shoots back to home position, you end up with a 1/2" smear of crap at the bottom of the window.

A.:D

Burple
23rd March 2009, 03:33 PM
But, i know i already have Meguiars shampoo, so am gonna use that and also i have Meguiars Gold Class Polish, I have a clay bar...................somewhere and will use it, what else do i need to compliment the paintwork?

Remember, i aint gonna be doing this every week :frown:

A cheeky wee tub of Collinite wax?? Meant to last up to 6 months ;)
Used it a couple of times on mine so far.. can't fault it! :thumbs up:

ianking
23rd March 2009, 03:58 PM
Yeah like Andy says claying can cause marring of the paint, this is more so if you dont use enough lubricant or you are pushing on the clay too hard. Only very light pressure is needed and as soon as it gets dirty turn it and roll it clean.

If you are very light with the clay then a hand polish such as Autoglym super resin will hide any marks and really it is best to give a wee polish before waxing as the finish will be much better.
You dont need to polish everytime you wax but if you do it right this time then there will be less work needed in the future. i.e just a quick wax every couple months or so.

Scottie
23rd March 2009, 04:47 PM
Chemical guys citrus foam and 15ml hyper wash in your bottle topped up
with hottish water for your foaming.

Clay bar: Go with the bilt hamber stuff it's the best no need for a QD use with water.

Windows: AG's fast glass or even better than than that stoners invisible glass.

Wheels: A decent polish then a topcoat of chemical guys ez-cream glaze it's a sealant aswell
and will give a deep gloss shine to your alloys.

Drying: make sure you get a decent drying towel and I would use a drying aid either DoDo time to dry or a CG QD very important
not to miss this out with the colour of car you have.

It's all about using the best practice when washing the car as this is when most of the swirls and scratches get done to the cars paintwork.

Craig
23rd March 2009, 09:13 PM
i started to read this thread and had to check the date as I thought it was the 1st April... :Whistle:

Wheels - Megs Wheel Brightner to clean then seal with PoorBoys Wheel Sealant

Windows - AG Fast Glass

Trim - I only use AG Bumper Gel once and a while, rest of the time I just use liquid wax over the top.

Polish - AG SRP

Wax - Collinite 476S or 915 (gives months of protection and beading which will appeal to you. :thumbs up:) I only apply this stuff 2 or 3 times a year. Rest of the time I give the car a quick run over with Turtle Wax Nano-tech Speed Wax. Works Great..

That is my recommendations anyway.. :yes nod::yes nod:

Crombers
23rd March 2009, 11:49 PM

:eek::eek::eek:

Dare to call your next run 'manky'

'You've changed'

AndyP & Lenore
24th March 2009, 12:26 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

Dare to call your next run 'manky'

'You've changed'

Well, he's started a journey down a long and winding road.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Gismo
24th March 2009, 05:15 AM
ffs, all this just to wash the car :argh: :D
The clay bar i have is 2 years old, at least, never been opened :shut up:

ianking
24th March 2009, 09:33 AM
Craig

I wouldnt use megs wheel brightner as it is full of acid.

Much safer (and it cleans better) with Autosmart Non-Acidic Smart Wheels.

Alan, I just made a small list up for you as the basics as I thought that was all you wanted, you mentioned you had shampoo and wax so I omitted them from my list.

Gismo
24th March 2009, 10:12 AM
Alan, I just made a small list up for you as the basics as I thought that was all you wanted, you mentioned you had shampoo and wax so I omitted them from my list.That's all i needed :thumbs up:

Scottie
24th March 2009, 07:13 PM
Chemical Guys
Trim Gel

I wouldn't bother with the trim gel I have it and don't rate it.

I can't help but think reading your posts Alan all you need is the
bilt hamber Auto Clay and Auto Balm you will read good things about it on detailing world

I've used it and like it Volvic has used it and illegalhunter and maybe others.

Craig
24th March 2009, 10:26 PM
Craig

I wouldnt use megs wheel brightner as it is full of acid.

Much safer (and it cleans better) with Autosmart Non-Acidic Smart Wheels.

Alan, I just made a small list up for you as the basics as I thought that was all you wanted, you mentioned you had shampoo and wax so I omitted them from my list.

ah OK Ian... it came recommended on detailing world by a few and I know not to leave it on the wheels longer than a minute as it is acidic. I must say I very rarely use it on my own car.. ;) I also don't have access to an Auto-smart rep.. :frown:

Gismo
3rd April 2009, 11:31 AM
Order placed :eek:
Mutter mumble, this cleaning malarky aint cheap :blush:

Crombers
3rd April 2009, 12:09 PM
:frown:

Are you feeling alright boss :confused:

I mean , this just ain't you :rolleyes:

Gismo
3rd April 2009, 12:22 PM
:frown:

Are you feeling alright boss :confused:

I mean , this just ain't you :rolleyes:Guys in white coming round this afternoon

GCA3N
3rd April 2009, 12:32 PM
what is the world coming too,:confused: they say the world must equalise, with every good there is evil, right and wrong, you know the thing, yin and yang and all that. Who will turn to the dirty side of the force....the king of shine...maybe!!!:eek::laugh:

Scottie
3rd April 2009, 05:57 PM
Order placed :eek:
Mutter mumble, this cleaning malarky aint cheap :blush:

what did you order?

Gismo
3rd April 2009, 06:17 PM
what did you order?
HD Foam Lance (Fitment Options: Kew/Alto)
Meguiars Hyper Wash
Dispensing Pump
Poorboys Wheel Sealant
Poorboys Black Hole Glaze Lake Country German CCS
Polishing Pad
Blackfire Ultimate LSP Applicator Pad
3 Pack - Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towel
Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel
Poorboys Waffle Weave Towel

All for £139 :eek:

zimbo
3rd April 2009, 09:32 PM
:eek: :thud:

Fester
3rd April 2009, 09:49 PM
HD Foam Lance (Fitment Options: Kew/Alto)
Meguiars Hyper Wash
Dispensing Pump
Poorboys Wheel Sealant
Poorboys Black Hole Glaze Lake Country German CCS
Polishing Pad
Blackfire Ultimate LSP Applicator Pad
3 Pack - Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towel
Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel
Poorboys Waffle Weave Towel

All for £139 :eek:

Welcome to the shiney side may the foam be with you :bigwave:(smiley closest to wax on - wax off)

Gismo
4th April 2009, 08:25 AM
In all my excitemnt i forgot to get the arch trim stuff :thud:

Craig
4th April 2009, 11:16 AM
In all my excitemnt i forgot to get the arch trim stuff :thud:

Autoglym Bumper Care is great and in halfrauds on a 3 for 2 ;)

AndyP & Lenore
4th April 2009, 02:52 PM
Autoglym Bumper Care is great and in halfrauds on a 3 for 2 ;)

Yeah. Wot he said. Given up on Black Wow. AG Bumper care is the muts nuts.

Gismo
8th April 2009, 01:39 PM
A wee bit gutted, all my fancy stuff arrived, but, sadly, the fitting for the foam lance is not right for my power washer :sad:

ianking
8th April 2009, 01:44 PM
A wee bit gutted, all my fancy stuff arrived, but, sadly, the fitting for the foam lance is not right for my power washer :sad:

Give polished bliss a call and ask for Rich. He will sort you out. I had a problem with my foam gun when it arrived and he sorted me out with a thread adaptor FOC very quickly indeed.

Gismo
8th April 2009, 01:49 PM
Give polished bliss a call and ask for Rich. He will sort you out. I had a problem with my foam gun when it arrived and he sorted me out with a thread adaptor FOC very quickly indeed.Just phoned him, all sorted, need to buy another power washer

Gismo
8th April 2009, 07:38 PM
Got a new Karcher today, just waiting on the fitment from Polished Bliss and it'll be all system go go go :D

Stewart
8th April 2009, 07:42 PM
Ouch…..I had to really research and ask around as my PW is a B&Q MacAlister washer but it uses the same fitment as the Bosh washers………got my lance and it works great.

Hope you get to try it soon. You got Snow foam then?

The foaming is not magical, I tend to look at it like this….It helps shift the muck but you need to go over the car with a mitt or your left with a dirty film…..But by foaming and rinsing by the time you get to the mitt anything that could scratch is off……

Plus its fun.

Scottie
8th April 2009, 07:45 PM
Just phoned him, all sorted, need to buy another power washer

what one did you get. ????

Gismo
8th April 2009, 08:39 PM
what one did you get. ????Karcher 3.97 M Deluxe

AndyP & Lenore
9th April 2009, 11:21 AM
Karcher 3.97 M Deluxe

:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Crombers
9th April 2009, 05:43 PM
Karcher 3.97 M Deluxe

See the 'for sale' section soon :rolleyes:

Gismo
9th April 2009, 05:48 PM
See the 'for sale' section soon :rolleyes:Had the one i've just sold for around 2-1/2 years :moonie:

Crombers
9th April 2009, 05:58 PM
Had the one i've just sold for around 2-1/2 years :moonie:

.....................gathering dust :Whistle: :thumbs up:

Scottie
9th April 2009, 06:14 PM
Karcher 3.97 M Deluxe

how is it working with your HD foam lance? making good foam?

Gismo
9th April 2009, 07:11 PM
how is it working with your HD foam lance? making good foam?Waitig for the adaptor

AndyP & Lenore
9th April 2009, 11:29 PM
Had the one i've just sold for around 2-1/2 years :moonie:

.....................gathering dust :Whistle: :thumbs up:

Still in it's wrapper. Like split new.:laugh::laugh:

Crombers
9th April 2009, 11:31 PM
Still in it's wrapper. Like split new.:laugh::laugh:

You got it :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
9th April 2009, 11:35 PM
You got it :thumbs up:

Guy that was buying it says: "Does it work OK".:yes nod:

Gismo says: "Dunno. Never tried it.":confused:

We're gonna be told off for going :off topic: in a minute.

A.:laugh:

Gismo
15th April 2009, 05:12 PM
So, do i use warm water in the foam lance?? or just cold tap water??

Scottie
15th April 2009, 05:46 PM
So, do i use warm water in the foam lance?? or just cold tap water??

I use warm to hot water in the HD Bottle.

ianking
16th April 2009, 09:08 AM
I use warm to hot water in the HD Bottle.

Me too.

AndyP & Lenore
16th April 2009, 10:30 AM
I use tepid water.

A.

Gismo
16th April 2009, 02:14 PM
I use tepid water.

A.What temperature :rolleyes:

Scottie
16th April 2009, 06:25 PM
all these questions. Have you been out and cleaned the car yet and used the snow foam???:smilewinkgrin:

Gismo
16th April 2009, 06:27 PM
all these questions. Have you been out and cleaned the car yet and used the snow foam???:smilewinkgrin:Nope :frown: drooling over my new bike :Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
16th April 2009, 06:27 PM
What temperature :rolleyes:

23.75c. Exactly.:thumbs up:

Warmed in my oven in stainless steel containers. Oh, and I only use filtered bottled water.:thumbs up:

Gismo
16th April 2009, 06:28 PM
23.75c. Exactly.:thumbs up:

Warmed in my oven in stainless steel containers. Oh, and I only use filtered bottled water.:thumbs up:

A.:thumbs up:What kind of protective gloves do you wear :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
16th April 2009, 06:30 PM
What kind of protective gloves do you wear :rolleyes:

Hypoallergenic RCS (royal college of surgeons) approved latex free. £50/pair.

Scottie
16th April 2009, 06:36 PM
Nope :frown: drooling over my new bike :Whistle:

is that a tricycle:p:p

Fester
17th April 2009, 06:44 PM
Hypoallergenic RCS (royal college of surgeons) approved latex free. £50/pair.

£50 for protective gloves!!!!!!!!

Is that not what we have skin for!!!!!!

Gismo
17th April 2009, 07:16 PM
So, a wee question regarding the lance.
I got the foam to work ok, but, the consistency could have been thiker and more sticky :blush:
Any tips on the correct amount to put in the bottle and where is best to have the mixture screw set at??

MINI William
17th April 2009, 07:24 PM
I got the foam to work ok, but, the consistency could have been thiker and more sticky :blush:
Any tips on the correct amount to put in the bottle and where is best to have the mixture screw set at??

I usaly tilt the lance to the side as I find that i get more foam that way.Also i dont put alot of foam just about 25ml per car

Scottie
17th April 2009, 07:38 PM

on our lance we have it up towards the + sign.

A lot has to do with the PW the more powerful range K5 and above the better it will foam because it's pushing the water through more powerful.

me I use a mix of 30ml snow foam and 15ml hyper wash.