PDA

View Full Version : drivers door won't open at all !

lowrider
18th March 2009, 05:44 PM
Today I fitted a new retaining clip for the drivers door outside handle (bloody pain took forever.) I loosened the door latch in the process. Fitting everything back together, I thought job done, however now the door won't open at all inside or out. It was fine when I first fixed it and immediately after. How do I go about opening the door now ?

I have been over to Mini dealers who said I could strip the window seal which I have done. I can't get the door open still! HELP:argh:

euan
18th March 2009, 06:14 PM
Paint the car orange, get a new horn and open the window. Then you can get in, flamboyantly, through the drivers window every time?

Not much help I'm afraid, I wouldn't know where to start!

Bumble
18th March 2009, 06:26 PM
sounds like a right pain ... I'm with euan's idea - mmm maybe not very practical, i'm sure someone will be along to help in a bit!

Ferengo
18th March 2009, 06:28 PM
Paint the car orange, get a new horn and open the window. Then you can get in, flamboyantly, through the drivers window every time?

Not much help I'm afraid, I wouldn't know where to start!

Very well done Euan :laugh:.

If nobody can shed any light then try calling the dealer. When I have a problem with my MINI they usually give good advice and work arounds. They even give advice about taking the car elsewhere and what work they should do.

Ferengo
18th March 2009, 06:31 PM
Ok I just saw you went to the dealer, sorry.

lowrider
18th March 2009, 06:46 PM
You guys funny:moonie:
My fiancée already suggested General Lee stylee !(de de.. le le.. dee dee dee dee de de de de)
Visited the steelers in Giffnock I can book it in but feel damn stupid as it is probably me that caused it when I loosened the latch. If I could open it I know I could fix it ! Anyhoo I thought you chap/chapesses would help me out not take the piss :lol:

Smitty
18th March 2009, 07:04 PM
Nightmare - I hate it went self-modding goes wrong :ragin:

Can you get at the doorcard from the inside, or does the door need to be open to remove?

lowrider
18th March 2009, 07:07 PM
Can't get my fingers past the seals at the bottom of the door card.

Smitty
18th March 2009, 07:09 PM
Hmmmm, know any professional car thieves!!? ;) :argh:

Ferengo
18th March 2009, 10:01 PM
What about asking a bodyshop? I mean they must get bangs that cause the doors not to open. Maybe they can suggest another way to open the door.

Also I couldn't resist doing this in photoshop to an orange mini I saw, sorry.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq170/ferengo/Stuff/518459412_865dbb3305.jpg

Looks cool though

Scottie
18th March 2009, 10:08 PM
what about the AA or those guys that get you in the motor if you have locked your keys in the car would they be able to help.

if not then

How about taking your seats out first the passenger seat giving you room to get the drivers one out which might give you enough room to get in to the door card??

lowrider
18th March 2009, 10:22 PM
Like the General Lee Mini :clap:
Would the AA attend if I could get in via the passanger door ?
The guy at the Mini Centre (harry fairbairns) Southside Glasgow said to pop in early tomorrow and he will have a look.:thumbs up:(possibly no charge :thud:)
To those who have taken the P, watchout I'll be creepin while ya sleepin' :knife:

lowrider
19th March 2009, 06:47 PM
Visited the dealers this morning. Fixed the problem (or so i thought) and charged me £110 labour for 1.5 hours work :eek: This afternoon the problem reoccurred. Took the car back to the garage and they reckon it is the handle (£25 +vat) The chap said it was the tension on the cable which is attached to the door handle.The old clip made the release on the handle feel loose whereas the new one seems stiff and seems to stop the interior handle from working HELP!. Any advice anyone ? (I am disappointed with the dealers)
I am considering asking for a refund as they did not fix the fault. What do you think?

GCA3N
19th March 2009, 06:57 PM
Absolutely mate, they did not fix the problem, you should'nt have to pay. I have had the car in this week big saga, but to cut a long story short I was due to be charged nearly £300 but argued, eventually got to the sum of £78, as they did not totally sort the problem. I was reading this months modern mini mag, guy in there was doing a mod on the door handles and exactly what you done happened to him, it unfortunetly did not go on to explain how he sorted it, so you are not alone out there.

Ferengo
19th March 2009, 10:54 PM
I'd complain to MINI directly first. In experience they'll call the dealer, give them hell then the dealer will call you to sort it out.

A MINI dealer took my car in for a warranty repair (Dashboard rattles). They handed the car back and said it was fixed. Turned out to be worse. I called up the dealer and they said "Nothing they can do" and was told to "turn my radio up" to cover the noise as "that's what he did". MINI called the next day to ask how I got on. I told them I wasn't happy and with 30 mins the dealer was on the phone to book my car back in.

£110 for an hour and a half labour at a MINI garage is a pretty good price, shame they never fixed it.

Unleash hell on them :knife: :knife: :knife:

lowrider
24th March 2009, 12:35 AM
Called Trading Standards who advised me to approach the dealers prior to booking the car in and state that as the car fault was not fixed and I was charged, regardless, they should fix the fault and provide the part at a reduced price (a new handle) I am going to phone them tomorrow and put this to them.

lowrider
2nd April 2009, 07:35 PM
Booked into the dealers. They were 2hrs fixing the fault and fitting the handle.All in it only cost me the part £29 :D There not all bad!

Craig
2nd April 2009, 08:41 PM
Booked into the dealers. They were 2hrs fixing the fault and fitting the handle.All in it only cost me the part £29 :D There not all bad!

:clap::clap::clap:

a good result from the dealer. :yes nod:

lowrider
4th April 2009, 10:58 AM
:yes nod::thumbs up:
Nearly fainted, thought I would have to speak to the manager or put my complaint in writing.