PDA

View Full Version : R56 Brake pads

Ferengo
18th March 2009, 09:11 AM
Anyone know how to replace front brake pads on the R56 cooper? They're due for replacing in about 2500 miles (according to the trip computer & Grassicks) and I don't fancy paying dealer prices.

Can any garage do it without invalidating the warranty? Can they reset the computer?

Is this something that should go in the service book?

If I did it myself would the dealer charge for resetting the computer?

How much is it roughly gonna cost from a dealer as I'm sure someone on here must have had them replaced already?

Cheers guys.

Also, this is a little off topic but how easy is it to paint the brake calipers (If that's even what you call the bit you paint)? Just I may paint either red or blue and wondered what paint I should use also. Think I read a thread on this before but can't remember.

ianking
18th March 2009, 09:18 AM
I have changed them on a Cooper D for someone and they are dead easy. Infact its even easier than doing the R50/3 as the wear sensor is much easier to change as you can get your hand up the arch liner to change it as apposed to having to strip the liner out.

The car i done was getting a low brake pad warning on screen, after I changed the sensor the warning went away. Never bothered changing the computer as its a high mileage driving instructor car and the owner wasnt bothered.

ianking
18th March 2009, 09:19 AM
P.S brake as in pads is brake. To damage is break. :D

Ferengo
18th March 2009, 09:23 AM
P.S brake as in pads is brake. To damage is break. :D

DOH!!! Still not had my morning coffee yet :blush:. Can a mod change this please?

So you think I would be able to do it? I really know nothing about cars. Did manage to make a bar for my spotlights and mod the grill for them to fit so I'm not completely useless :D.

Is there any guides out there?

Cheers.

AndyP & Lenore
18th March 2009, 09:26 AM
DOH!!! Still not had my morning coffee yet :blush:. Can a mod change this please?

:thumbs up:

ianking
18th March 2009, 09:34 AM
Im not sure if you can do it. Surely you are the best person to ask of your abilities.
from memory front pads, guides, backing grease and a wear sensor was about £75. Maybe just take it to a decent independent garage and they may take somewhere around £50 - £70 labour to do it. That way you know they will be working fine.

Ferengo
18th March 2009, 09:53 AM
:thumbs up:

Cheers Andy.

Ferengo
18th March 2009, 09:58 AM
Im not sure if you can do it. Surely you are the best person to ask of your abilities.
from memory front pads, guides, backing grease and a wear sensor was about £75. Maybe just take it to a decent independent garage and they may take somewhere around £50 - £70 labour to do it. That way you know they will be working fine.

Probably best doing that. I just thought I may have a go and wondered how easy it would be for someone who has done really no mechanical work on a car before.

There's a garage about a 20 minute walk from my work and I know the mechanic. £35 and hour labour, so it's not as bad as I thought it may be, best to leave it to the professionals.

ianking
18th March 2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah they will have the job done in an hour I should think.

I done it in an hour and that was on my garage floor so they will do doubt be quicker as they will have a lift etc.

Livi
18th March 2009, 12:11 PM
Grant Pm to you! :thumbs up:

Ferengo
18th March 2009, 12:23 PM
Grant Pm to you! :thumbs up:

Cheers, Pm sent back :thumbs up:.

Big Gordy
18th March 2009, 02:17 PM
Also, this is a little off topic but how easy is it to paint the brake calipers (If that's even what you call the bit you paint)? Just I may paint either red or blue and wondered what paint I should use also. Think I read a thread on this before but can't remember.

Dead easy:thumbs up: I used Gold Hammerite smooth on mine about 3 years ago and they're still looking OK:yes nod: I did try their red paint on the calipers but found it dried a bit too pink for my liking:blush:

Ferengo
19th March 2009, 09:04 AM
Dead easy:thumbs up: I used Gold Hammerite smooth on mine about 3 years ago and they're still looking OK:yes nod: I did try their red paint on the calipers but found it dried a bit too pink for my liking:blush:

So is it as simple as just painting them? I mean I'm not going to cause any damage by painting the calipers?

Smitty
19th March 2009, 09:50 PM
So is it as simple as just painting them? I mean I'm not going to cause any damage by painting the calipers?

Nope - you'd be hard pushed to cause any damage. I've done it on my car, and my dads done it one his cars for years.

Just lap on the paint, and if you get any on the disc, just rub it off.

Make sure you paint your hub at the same time:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/P1020170.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/P1020171.jpg

Gives a much classier finish :yes nod:

GCA3N
19th March 2009, 09:55 PM
nice job, mate. looks good. I cannot believe i had not thought of painting the hub section, guess what i will be doing tomorrow.

Ferengo
19th March 2009, 10:30 PM
This may be a daft question but which bits the hub? Oh and did you use a brush or spray and which type/make of paint? Cheers.

Scottie
19th March 2009, 11:02 PM
This may be a daft question but which bits the hub? Oh and did you use a brush or spray and which type/make of paint? Cheers.

from a lady owner. :D

your hub is the centre part which your wheel bolts on to. it's painted black in the above picture.

:frown::frown::frown:

Smitty
19th March 2009, 11:18 PM
nice job, mate. looks good. I cannot believe i had not thought of painting the hub section, guess what i will be doing tomorrow.

Cheers Greig! Yeah, simple yet effective - just finishes it off nicely. You don't see much off it behind the wheel (haven't got any close up pictures wit the wheel on :sad:) but you can see enough that it is worth the effort. Saying that....you'll probably have a bit more on show with your GP wheels.

The black gloss matches the rest of the black detailing on the car, and is nicer than the standard metal rust colour that they end out being!!

Yup - what Fi said about the hub is correct - i'll let you off with that silly question :p ;) :thumbs up:

I just used standard paint brushes, with a slightly thinner one (1/4") for the little parts around the calliper.

As for paint - Hammerite multi-purpose paint. Gloss black and gloss red - but there are plenty other colours available.

If you are doing it, make sure to give the parts a good rub down before hand with a steel/wire brush and some emmery paper, and then give them a good hose down. :smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
19th March 2009, 11:38 PM
Yes very effective will be taking the rims of tomorrow to do this, think it will look alot better

Ferengo
19th March 2009, 11:38 PM
Cool, Think I'll go for red. It will match my face for asking that question :blush:. Cheers.

audrey
19th March 2009, 11:54 PM
Cool, Think I'll go for red. It will match my face for asking that question :blush:. Cheers.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: