PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Exhaust for Cooper S

S7JGW
15th March 2009, 05:40 PM
Hi guys, my exhuast on my Cooper S has recently burst, it is split all round the seam on the back box. I have had a price from JC Aberdeen for a standard cat back system and thought bugger that lol. £600 odd for cat back :eek:.
I Did think about a Works exhaust but was told i cannot get a Works exhaust unless i have a certificate to prove my car is a Works car.
So i am now thinking on going down the aftermarket route and was thinking probably Playmini.
I am after a good sound but not wanting it to be too loud.
Anyone with any aftermarket exhuast got any opinions in which exhuast to go for?

Cheers
Jim
:D

Hamish
15th March 2009, 05:46 PM
everyone on here seems to rave about playmini... thats what i've got for the cup car... and tested a car with one on... stripped out etc and it doesnt seem too loud, but has a nice note to it.

AeroJonny
15th March 2009, 08:17 PM
why don't you just convert it to a one ball?

Big Gordy
15th March 2009, 08:18 PM
I second what Hamish says:thumbs up: Its fine for around town driving but a bit more 'throaty' when driven a bit more spirited:cool:
P.s...I have one on mine and its ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat:smilewinkgrin:

countdown
15th March 2009, 10:55 PM
Depending what box is away, you could convert to one ball. Sounds sweet, few pops and crackles but isnt stupidly loud:thumbs up:

RyanK
15th March 2009, 11:42 PM
Milltek.

Gismo
16th March 2009, 05:01 AM
Milltek.Next on my shopping list :thumbs up:

Crombers
16th March 2009, 08:27 AM
Playmini for me, all the way ;)

S7JGW
16th March 2009, 05:11 PM
Cheers for the replys guys, I did think about the oneball conversion, it is the Nearside box that is burst but when i was looking at the offside box it looks like it wont be too long before ti goes too, quite rusty. Looks like it might be play mini or possibly millteck. Where has everyone bought there playminis? I have found them on P L Minis only.
Cheers
Jim

ELFMAN
18th March 2009, 09:30 AM
Jim, I have a STANDARD Cooper S System (Cat Back) from my 2003 S in good condition (it's been in my hut for a few years) which I'm 'open to offers' for. Only problem is the size of the thing, as it's 'one piece' from the Cat back, so it's hopeless to stick in the mail!

I also have a genuine JOHN COOPER WORKS System (cat back), UNUSED(!) and in perfect condition - never been on a car... as these are quite rare items, I'd be looking for a decent amount for it - don't know what the going rate for one would be. I didn't put it on when I had the car 'JCW'd' 2 years ago, as I wanted to retain my Playmini system because I loved the sounds! By the way, I bought my Playmini system direct from them.

john
18th March 2009, 12:02 PM
I was going to say Playmini but a swift reply to Elfman and your problem is solved:thumbs up:

antihero3000
18th March 2009, 12:57 PM
Cheers for the replys guys, I did think about the oneball conversion, it is the Nearside box that is burst but when i was looking at the offside box it looks like it wont be too long before ti goes too, quite rusty. Looks like it might be play mini or possibly millteck. Where has everyone bought there playminis? I have found them on P L Minis only.
Cheers
Jim

What age/mileage is your car mate?

john
18th March 2009, 02:45 PM
What age/mileage is your car mate?

I think he has an 03;)

ELFMAN
18th March 2009, 04:27 PM
Yep. it's an '03. Mileage irrelevant as the JCW system's never been on the car - stored from new in 2006. Check the 'For Sale' section for an update.

Standard system did a few thou (I only do 6K per annum) before I fitted the Playmini, but still seems fine.

S7JGW
27th March 2009, 05:36 AM
Sorry for the late reply guys but been a bit busy lately. Just checked the for sale section and seen Elfmans JCW exhaust is gone too doh!! :argh:
Looks like the playmini it is then. Hopefully get it ordered the week before im due to get home from Mexico so it can be fitted when im home.
Cheers for the help guys
Jim
:bigwave::smilewinkgrin:

ELFMAN
27th March 2009, 12:03 PM
Jim, remember I still have a STANDARD S system up for grabs. Like a budgie, it's going Cheap..... (groan). I'd recommend the Playmini though if you want the NOIZE!

Gismo
27th March 2009, 12:38 PM
My JCW exhaust will be for sale from approx 13th April, cat back only from a 56 plate (check hangers)
12k miles

S7JGW
30th March 2009, 10:37 PM
Think as im keepin the car a while yet now il go for the Playmini, after a bit of a note, but not too loud. Thanks for the offer of the standard system would have probably taken you up on that if i was gonna sell the car.
Also Gismo dont think the 56 plate exhaust will fit as i believe they changed the hanger at the facelift (im prefacelift), but not too sure. Cheers anyway.

Jim

Aberdeen Al
31st March 2009, 07:38 PM
The Milltek is excellent although my neighbours would beg to differ although it was coupled to a GTT manifold and big head!!

I swapped my JCW on my S for the Milltek and wish I hadn't tbh!

S7JGW
2nd April 2009, 11:24 PM
The Milltek is excellent although my neighbours would beg to differ although it was coupled to a GTT manifold and big head!!

I swapped my JCW on my S for the Milltek and wish I hadn't tbh!

I think my neighbours was like thay when i stuck the RC40 on my classic when i had it. lol

Morri7
3rd April 2009, 07:46 PM
Milltek is ace. Sounds a bit deeper than stock on tick over but give it the beans and it sounds great. It's not even noticable when driving on the motorway for long periods of time.
The car seems to pick up from low revs a little quicker too.
They are about £490 which is quite a lot. I was lucky and got mine this time last year in a Mini2 group buy for £318 so keep your eye out for something like that again. Took me 8 hours to fit it though!

Gismo
3rd April 2009, 08:00 PM
I'm getting one fitted in a weeks time

S7JGW
3rd April 2009, 11:10 PM
8 hours to fit :eek::eek:
I thought it was a few bolts n a few clamps and was expecting a couple of hours. Was it badly rusted? Or just a pain to fit?
Jim

Morri7
4th April 2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah 8 hours! My wife was not amused! The old one was difficult to remove because of the rust and I could not get the car high enough to work comfortably underneath. I had to use a grinder at one point and this was not a pleasent experience when it was only a few inches from my face! Once that was off the Milltek was easy to fit...untill I discovered that they and not supplied all the bolts! I just managed to go into town (in a different car obviously!) to get some before the shop shut.......it was worth it in the end though.
The other reason it took so long could just be that I am rubbish!!

S7JGW
6th April 2009, 01:16 AM
Hmm mabee see if i can get it up on my mates ramp then. I have used a ginder on my girlfriends last car to take the exhaust off. Not too keen on taking the ginder to my car tho lol.
Im due home next weekend so we will so how it goes next week hopefully.
Jim
:D

Morri7
12th April 2009, 08:30 PM
Get it up as high as you can and have someone handy to pass the sockets/spanners to you. I spent half my time getting out from under the car to get the next tool! Post up and let me know how long it took you!

antihero3000
13th April 2009, 02:42 PM
I think he has an 03;)

Is 6 years the lifespan of the standard exhaust?

Morri7
13th April 2009, 08:07 PM
I think that sounds about right. I replaced mine last year about this time and the original exhaust was on its way out. I might have got another 6 months to a year out of it - making it 6 years old. It was the only way I could justify the Milltek to my wife! "I think the exhaust is about to go and I don't think it'll make the MOT next year.....":smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
13th April 2009, 08:33 PM
I think that sounds about right. I replaced mine last year about this time and the original exhaust was on its way out. I might have got another 6 months to a year out of it - making it 6 years old. It was the only way I could justify the Milltek to my wife! "I think the exhaust is about to go and I don't think it'll make the MOT next year.....":smilewinkgrin:

Mines was 6 and a half years old and it was on it's last legs, funny i used the same excuse too for my meercat exhaust