PDA

View Full Version : Engine light help

GCA3N
15th March 2009, 12:59 AM
Looking for some help guys. Got new discs and pads on yesterday. Took the car out to test them out etc. After about 30 mins (driving quite hard, harder than normal) the engine light came, and the car stopped. Like i said I was being heavy on the brakes to 'break' them in so to speak. I turned off the car ignition, for a couple of minutes then put it on. all the lights went out apart from the engine light. Seemed to drive ok and got the car home. Went out later on to check and the light had now gone off. Did'nt go out today, but turned it over tonight and again the light came on. But after turning it off and on again it has now gone off. I believe it is to do with the lamda (o2 sensor) Not sure though. Can anyone help. I believe that it can be hooked up to a diagnostic machine to id the fault!

UPDATE: read an interesting article. It stated you can do a DIY reset by removing the pos terminal from the battery, and short it against the neg. Then disconnect both and reconnect. Any comments on this?

AndyP & Lenore
15th March 2009, 01:39 AM
Greig, I think the only way to reset this sensor is for a dealer to do it. Although I'm sure Craig Noble had a machine that he is happy to send out, but not sure if this just "reads" the ecu, or will actually re-set fault codes.

As for the terminal shorting idea....... Sounds nonsense to me, but I'm not technically minded.:frown:

A.

Gismo
15th March 2009, 06:02 AM
Assuming it is the emissions light and not the EML then it's most likely to be the lambda sensor, but, only a fault code reader will show that up.
As Andy mentioned, Craig Noble will assist in finding and hopefully curing the code.

As for shorting the positive to the negative, no way should you do that :frown:
Simply disconnecting both battery terminals and allowing to sit for around 10 mins should be enough to allow all current to drain from the wiring system.
This should fully reset the car's ecu, you will have to reset the clock and also teach the car your driving style, so, expect some mpg difference.

If this does not sure the problem totally, then, you may need to replace the sensor, but, Craig should be able to advise if you ask him to check the fault codes.

GCA3N
15th March 2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Going to take it out today and see if the light stays out. If not then might try what you said Alan and disconnect the battery. How do I contact Craig Noble to ask for help. ( sorry if that is a stupid question) :thumbs up:

Gismo
15th March 2009, 08:53 AM
How do I contact Craig Noble to ask for helpSend him a PM, i don't have his contact details :thumbs up:

Smitty
15th March 2009, 10:10 AM
Greig - are you sure its the engine light?

When I had my pads replaced, after about 20 minutes of driving the "Brake Pad Sensor" light came on. It is yellow, with a round circle if I remember correctly. This is meant to come on when it senses your brake pads are either worn or damaged.

I "presumed" it was just a little confused and would sort itself out once the brake were properly bedded in. Only done 60miles or so in the car since getting the pads replaced.

If it is the brake sensor - then let me know how you get on with this, as I may also need a fix if it doesn't magically turn itself off. :frown:

GCA3N
15th March 2009, 10:18 AM
Greig - are you sure its the engine light?

When I had my pads replaced, after about 20 minutes of driving the "Brake Pad Sensor" light came on. It is yellow, with a round circle if I remember correctly. This is meant to come on when it senses your brake pads are either worn or damaged.

I "presumed" it was just a little confused and would sort itself out once the brake were properly bedded in. Only done 60miles or so in the car since getting the pads replaced.

If it is the brake sensor - then let me know how you get on with this, as I may also need a fix if it doesn't magically turn itself off. :frown:

Defo not that, it is the light directly above the EML light, book says it is the engine light, to do with exhaust emmisions. I did remember one thing though, coming back from aberdeen on thursday, i had to drop my mate in Kelty, and I was very low on fuel. Stopped at this tiny garage, in the sticks, (even got my fuel put in for me) Anyway read on the web that this fault can be caused by bad fuel. Not sure if it is a coincidence that it was shortly after this I had the problem. I don't normally use smaller garages, I have heard that their fuels get used up much slower and there is a higher chance of fuel issues. Did happen once to me with supermarket fuel. I normally try and use the good stuff, from shell etc. Went out this morning and so far so good. Will take it for a bigger run today and see what happens. One other thing though, when you turn the ignition on the Eml light and the engine light take longer to go off (2-3 secs) I think it was like that before, but because I am concious of the issue I cannot be sure now. cheers for all the advice folks, greig

Craig
15th March 2009, 10:57 AM
Hi Grieg,

Craig Noble has previously mentioned that he has a fault reader that he was willing to post out to NMS people and find out the codes on the car. Once you have that info, it is much easier to diagnose the fault. As others have said, it is most prob the lamda sensor for your exhaust, but some live with that light on all the time... ;)

Craig is C.Noble on the user list (think you sent me a pm about this... :smilewinkgrin:)

GCA3N
15th March 2009, 11:26 AM
Hi Grieg,

Craig Noble has previously mentioned that he has a fault reader that he was willing to post out to NMS people and find out the codes on the car. Once you have that info, it is much easier to diagnose the fault. As others have said, it is most prob the lamda sensor for your exhaust, but some live with that light on all the time... ;)

Craig is C.Noble on the user list (think you sent me a pm about this... :smilewinkgrin:)

oops, sorry mate

C.Noble
15th March 2009, 12:52 PM
Sorry I havent been on the forum for a few days... been too busy unearthing a MINI from Knockhill... and I mean unearthing Mr Waugh!! :hand:

You said that the engine came to a stop when the light first came on, and you were bedding in your brakes at the time, were you by anychance double peddling... pressing the throttle and the brake at the same time to bed in your brakes???

GCA3N
15th March 2009, 02:07 PM
Defo not, I know that the car is designed yo cut outif you do that. Went out today and was ok. Then left the car for an hour and tried to start it and it was coughing and spluttering then cut again. Tried it again and it was ok, but again the light came. Think it is the O2 sensor but need the tool to prove it.

audrey
16th March 2009, 12:13 AM
Hi Greig

Had this problem for ages with the engine light coming on :frown:

Turned out both my sensors had to be replaced but had no problems with the car cutting out or anything like that.

Hope its nothing serious or too pricey :sad:

C.Noble
16th March 2009, 01:23 PM
If either of the O2 sensors are faulty, they should never cause the engine to stop, and as they are ignored on initial start up (when the system is on open loop until the engine heats up a bit) they shouldnt cause it to cough and splutter when you initially start it neither.

As you already know, you need the codes before you can go any further.

I will pm you my mobile number and we can sort out a way of getting my reader, it will erase the code too if you get the prob fixed (I would put my number up here, but Mr Gizmo would give me a row :smilewinkgrin:)

GCA3N
16th March 2009, 05:57 PM
Car went into the garage today. they put on their diagnostic tool and found nothing. All the sensors etc were ok. The mechanic then looked at the injectors and found one not working. However later on when he went to move the car it was working ok. He has asked to keep the car over night and do a few more checks to make sure that is the right fault. He was a little bemused at the fault dissapearing. I said that this was what i had found over the past few days. Anyway he said he would let me know. If it is the injector, it will be £170 to replace:eek::eek:. Just want the car back though so. Has anyone else had similar probs with injectors, and what was the symtoms.

Gismo
17th March 2009, 06:19 AM
I just gave Stoney a set of injectors from my JCW, not sure when he's fitting them but he may be able to give you one of his

GCA3N
17th March 2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks might be too late now, the garage are ordering one, they said they only use original parts and have quoted me £80 for one. Have checked and this seems ok. Again thanks anyway.:thumbs up: