PDA

View Full Version : I'm Racing at Silverstone on Sunday

Smitty
14th March 2009, 08:04 PM
That's right, off round the historic home of motor sport for a few laps of the full F1 circuit. I'll be flying around Copse, taking Becetts at full throttle, before pulling off some brilliant over taking into Brooklands and Luffield!!

Sounds brilliant doesn't it? So what am I driving....MINI, Loutus Elise, Ferrari, Single-Seater......?? :Whistle:

How abut none of the above, and replace the car with nothing, leaving me with only my legs to propel myself around :argh:

It's the Silverstone half-marathon, so I get to run around the full track, in both directions as well as some of the additional parts of tarmac.

I'll report back on the circuit condition for all those coming along to MINI United :thumbs up:

Hopefully I should be going slow enough to hit every Apex on the circuit....not even young Lewis will be able to rival me for road positioning! ;) :Whistle:

Craig
14th March 2009, 09:33 PM
Best of luck with that Smitty... :thumbs up:

I want to do a marathon at some point in my life, but just never seem to have the time.. :argh: just have to put up with a snickers instead.. :Whistle:

audrey
15th March 2009, 12:24 AM
Good Luck :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
15th March 2009, 01:35 AM
Best of luck Smitty.:thumbs up:

A.

Gismo
15th March 2009, 06:03 AM
Good on ya :thumbs up:

Smitty
15th March 2009, 10:04 AM
Craig - you should definitely do a marathon, its incredible how fit you get whe training properly for it. That's why I am doing this half-marathon, it's training for the big one in London in six weeks time!!

Thank you all - but save your well wishes, for the 26th of April, as i'll need them then - this one will be a jog in the park compared to the full distance!! :eek: :D

euan
15th March 2009, 11:19 AM
Craig - you should definitely do a marathon, its incredible how fit you get whe training properly for it. That's why I am doing this half-marathon, it's training for the big one in London in six weeks time!!

Thank you all - but save your well wishes, for the 26th of April, as i'll need them then - this one will be a jog in the park compared to the full distance!! :eek: :D

Fair play to you for doing these, I've just signed up for a 10K in 7 weeks and need to get running again (not trained in ages). Half marathon is always in my mind but I'm not convinced I'd be able to do it!

Oh, and the 26th is my wedding anniversary, so while your plodding round London I'll be in Andalucia, in a villa with my feet up :D

mini saltire
15th March 2009, 11:54 AM
Good luck with run. I did the Great North Run last year and it was great fun.:clap:

Smitty
15th March 2009, 09:38 PM
Well, job done! 1 hour, 34 minutes, 35 seconds later :thud:

I was planing on taking it easy and running it at my "planned" marathon pace but my conservative approach disappeared, and my competitive edge kicked in after approx 300meters! O well....didn't do myself any damage at least. :p

Was brilliant weather - nice and sunny with a very gentle breeze. And it was really cool getting onto the Silverstone tarmac for a few laps of the full F1 circuit (plus the infield and supply roads!!)

Fair play to you for doing these, I've just signed up for a 10K in 7 weeks and need to get running again (not trained in ages). Half marathon is always in my mind but I'm not convinced I'd be able to do it!

Oh, and the 26th is my wedding anniversary, so while your plodding round London I'll be in Andalucia, in a villa with my feet up :D

10k's are a good start Euan - i've done quite a few myself. They are still a brilliant achievement but you don't quite need the commitment that is required for longer distances - hence why they are good for gettin people into competitive running. Are you running for charity or just for fun?

Roll on the 26th April (although I reckon Andalucia would be a more relaxing place to be that day!!) :eek: :hand:

RyanK
15th March 2009, 09:56 PM
Good on you mate, glad it went well!

euan
16th March 2009, 10:34 AM
10k's are a good start Euan - i've done quite a few myself. They are still a brilliant achievement but you don't quite need the commitment that is required for longer distances - hence why they are good for gettin people into competitive running. Are you running for charity or just for fun?

Just doing it for fun really, though there is a charity supporting it so I'll try and raise a bit of cash for them as well. It's our local village one so making an effort! It'll be my 5th 10K, I usually do one or two a year and I do enjoy them, but I only enjoy running when it's dry so very much a fair weather runner!

Smitty
25th April 2009, 08:40 AM
Well the big weekend has arrived - just about to head off to London in an hour or so to get registered and then relax!

Been doing nothing but resting and some serious carb loading the past week - been fun :D

Weather forecast is looking not bad 14/15 degrees with a few clouds. Better than what it was saying earlier in the week - pure sun at 23 degrees :eek: - that would have killed me!

I'll report back on the whole experience on my (hopefully) safe return :yes nod:

P.S. If anyone is feeling in a kind hearted mood and would like to donate some pennies to my sponsorship fund (running for Spinal Research) then I would very much appreciate it - it would spur me on even more :thumbs up: You can do so by visiting www.justgiving.com/martinsmith86. :D