PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coat Wheels

Gismo
13th March 2009, 07:14 AM
I want to get my R105 wheels powder coated, what are my local (Montrose) options?
Any ideas on how long the process takes and can i simply drop the car off??

zimbo
13th March 2009, 10:29 AM
Why whats wrong with the colour you have already? They're perfect on your car as is Boss... :cool:

john
13th March 2009, 10:35 AM
Most places just want the wheels, No car No tyres;)

zimbo
13th March 2009, 10:38 AM
John your still alive then?? :lol:

Gismo
13th March 2009, 12:03 PM
Why whats wrong with the colour you have already? They're perfect on your car as is Boss... :cool:The laquer is peeling off, happened when i washed the car :D i knew it was dangerous, me, washing cars :Whistle:

Crombers
13th March 2009, 01:04 PM
The laquer is peeling off, happened when i washed the car :D i knew it was dangerous, me, washing cars :Whistle:

Well get rid of that bloody bucket :rolleyes:

Big Gordy
13th March 2009, 01:07 PM
The buckets OK......its the sponge that's killing it:eek::moonie:

Crombers
13th March 2009, 01:31 PM
Ok smart:moonie: , bucket, sponge & fairy 'BIN' :thumbs up:

Mods, eh!!

bazzaric
13th March 2009, 02:40 PM
I got recommended to a place in Carnoustie...not overly local, but close enough?

Ivano
13th March 2009, 02:43 PM
The laquer is peeling off, happened when i washed the car :D i knew it was dangerous, me, washing cars :Whistle:

I have a problem with my Silver version R105s with the laquer bubbling etc. It is so frustrating.. well looks like the Black variants have issues aswell..

Don't know where MINI are getting these wheels from but the quality is poor. I'm on my second set and still i have problems with them :argh::argh:

Bazthemod
13th March 2009, 02:52 PM
My 105's have a lacquer problem too... had them off over winter, just raked them out to go back on the car and i have black blotches all over the finish on every alloy. Wont wash of as it seems to be actually under the finish. :sad::sad::sad:

zimbo
13th March 2009, 04:00 PM
Alan & Baz I think you should both get back to the dealers and try get the wheels replaced under warrenty for the wheels being faulty...

Forbes
13th March 2009, 04:19 PM
Go together

Craig
13th March 2009, 05:51 PM
yeah thats bad for a set of wheels that are over £1000 without tyres.. :frown::frown:

as for powder coaters.... they all normally just want the wheels with no tyres or car.. ;) If you want a set of wheels to put on the car while you do this, I have a set you can borrow.. :yes nod:

Bazthemod
13th March 2009, 06:28 PM
I bought mine off Fiona ... not sure what dealer she got them from?

Will any dealer give me time of day if i dont have proof of purchase or how old they are? :confused: Plus they will blame the kerbing anyway!:rolleyes:

Thinking of getting them powdercoated but not sure what finish to go for.

Ivano
13th March 2009, 08:25 PM
Alan & Baz I think you should both get back to the dealers and try get the wheels replaced under warrenty for the wheels being faulty...

My first set were all replaced under warranty which i was delighted with.. but i only got 1 year warranty on the replaced warranty wheels which is now up, so in my case i can do nothing...

But it is certainly worth a try for the wheels in question here if the car is within its main warranty period...

Scottie
13th March 2009, 08:29 PM
I bought mine off Fiona ... not sure what dealer she got them from?

Will any dealer give me time of day if i dont have proof of purchase or how old they are? :confused: Plus they will blame the kerbing anyway!:rolleyes:

Thinking of getting them powdercoated but not sure what finish to go for.

You kerbed my alloys:hand::hand:

think I got them from that dealer in Stirling.

RyanK
13th March 2009, 08:44 PM
I would highly recommend Motorwerks in Aberdeen after seeing their work on other folks wheels. They will send your wheels down to Pristine down south. Hope im not commercial posting here but.. http://www.thebestof.co.uk/local/aberdeen/business-guide/feature/motorwerks/38619

PPS Glassfibre in Aberdeen (inverurie) are also good. Ask for kieth

Bazthemod
13th March 2009, 10:35 PM
You kerbed my alloys:hand::hand:

think I got them from that dealer in Stirling.

Yeh i know, felt sick when i did it :sad:

Ahh lol i have no chance with them then :hand:

Fester
13th March 2009, 11:01 PM
Cotech in Carnoustie did mine but is not the quickest at doing them. Good enough job though. Cant think of anyone else to hand but I know there are others local have heard that there is someone Montrose in the Broomfield Ind Estate

Stephen

AndyP & Lenore
13th March 2009, 11:04 PM
<<<<<<<<<Makes mental note to give his 105's another thorough check over tomorrow when it's light.

A.

MrMischief
13th March 2009, 11:08 PM
Coatech do good work :thumbs up:

If you come to Carnoustie feel free to let us know & you can stop by for a coffee ;)

Ivano
13th March 2009, 11:20 PM
<<<<<<<<<Makes mental note to give his 105's another thorough check over tomorrow when it's light.

A.

You should be ok given that you have applied the Poorboys Wheel Sealant to your R105s :thumbs up:

Gismo
14th March 2009, 06:18 AM
have heard that there is someone Montrose in the Broomfield Ind Estate

StephenHmm, interesting, will have a look next time home, i think i'm gonna have to get the tyres removed then :Whistle:

Craig,
Not sure your wheels will fit with my Porshe brakes :sad:

Craig
14th March 2009, 09:56 AM
Hmm, interesting, will have a look next time home, i think i'm gonna have to get the tyres removed then :Whistle:

Craig,
Not sure your wheels will fit with my Porshe brakes :sad:

hmm, they are 18's so don't know if there is any other issue...:confused: width ?

Gismo
23rd March 2009, 10:45 AM
Have booked into Coatech for the 8th April, one day option, drop car off and then pick it up again, will advise on workmanship when it's completed :thumbs up:

zimbo
23rd March 2009, 11:12 AM
Alan thats the company I used for my original alloys i had on my silver Coop (which I still have) they painted them titanium for me, didnt do too bad a job I guess, but apparently Ewan was saying recently that he heard that their work is not that great these days because they do so much that they obviously rush through the jobs :frown:

If you need a shot of a set of wheels to put on your car while yours are away getting done, which will be easier for you and for them that way you still have your car to get about in. Then just let me know and I could see about giving you a loan of these alloys :thumbs up:

Gismo
23rd March 2009, 11:17 AM
Cheers Ali, but, i need 18" wheels as a minimum due to the Porsche brakes.
I could remove the wheels and take them up in Me Julie's car, but, that's too much hassle.
I'll simply drive up, drop the car off and get the train home :thumbs up:

I've heard differing reports on the quality, but, they are near me, so, worth a shot

zimbo
23rd March 2009, 11:21 AM
The wheels are 18" as well.

shaunbhoy67
24th March 2009, 04:53 PM
how much roughly would it be to get wheels powder coated and how much for refurbishing also if anyone knows roughly

Scottie
24th March 2009, 07:22 PM
long thread and I can't be bothered reading through it all so may have missed the colour you are powder coating the wheels.

So what colour are you going for??

shaunbhoy67
26th March 2009, 12:35 PM
well im looking at black that is what im wanting just it would take a couple of days to do would it not?

Gismo
26th March 2009, 12:38 PM
long thread and I can't be bothered reading through it all so may have missed the colour you are powder coating the wheels.

So what colour are you going for??Sorry, missed this thread, staying with black

well im looking at black that is what im wanting just it would take a couple of days to do would it not?There are 3 choices, hand in the wheels, hand in with tyres still on, or drive in with the car, which is what i'm doing.
Same day turn around is £250, but, only £160 if wheels only

shaunbhoy67
26th March 2009, 12:48 PM
ah right cheers for that, where abouts are you getting yours done at or is that just a standard set price?

Gismo
26th March 2009, 12:49 PM
Coatech in Carnoustie, standard set price

shaunbhoy67
26th March 2009, 12:50 PM
sweet thanks for that!