PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Alloys

Ferengo
12th March 2009, 01:33 PM
I'm thinking on another little mod which most of you have done... BIGGER ALLOYS!!! Am gonna go from 15's to 17's, but I have a few questions.

1. What tyres do recommend for either S spokes or bullets?

2. How much would it cost near the Dundee area to have silver ones made into whites ones (As it's bloomin' hard to find white bullets).

3. There was some talk of certain alloys from other models of MINI not fitting the R56, am I right that it applies only to alloys lower than 17" in size?

4. Does anyone have these for sale with tyres? (Just incase)

Cheers :thumbs up:

ianking
12th March 2009, 01:51 PM
Bullit will fit the R56 as its been done before on mini2.

If you buy bullits that are in good condition you could actually get any good body shop to paint them to white.

Ferengo
12th March 2009, 04:29 PM
Good to know, cheers. I have a body shop which does some awesome work and very cheap. They also have a quick turn around (Drop in the morn and pickup at night) and won't do any work unless it really needs done, I mean they saved me having to buy a new headlight on my old car and didn't charge me for the fix.

Burple
12th March 2009, 04:50 PM
1. What tyres do recommend for either S spokes or bullets?

anything non-Runflat!! :thumbs up:

Toyo Proxies are good, as are Goodyear F1s..

But more of a budget side of thing.. federal 595s! Can't go wrong with them for about £50 a corner! That's what I've got on my 17s (on recommendation from John) and I can't fault them at all, wet or dry!
They might not be up to the job for a higher powered S, but for a Cooper i think they'd be spot on.. if you remember how mine felt.. (oo-er missus) ;):thumbs up:

Ferengo
12th March 2009, 04:55 PM
anything non-Runflat!! :thumbs up:

Toyo Proxies are good, as are Goodyear F1s..

But more of a budget side of thing.. federal 595s! Can't go wrong with them for about £50 a corner! That's what I've got on my 17s (on recommendation from John) and I can't fault them at all, wet or dry!
They might not be up to the job for a higher powered S, but for a Cooper i think they'd be spot on.. if you remember how mine felt.. (oo-er missus) ;):thumbs up:

All I can remember from driving yours was the noise it made and the thought "If I crash this...:eek:" :p

Yeah the thinking behind it is that I'm around £50 per tyre on the 15"s so if I sell them and put the money towards a set of 17's with tyres they'd do me a while before having the change the tyres on them, giving that I'll buy a set with decent amount of tread.

Craig
12th March 2009, 08:31 PM
I agree with all that Burple has said (and Ian).

Bullets and S Spokes will fit an R56

I have Toyo's on my 18's and I have Falkens on my bullets. I will be going to federals at some point for my 18's wen the toyo's wear down. :thumbs up:

gauldrymini
13th March 2009, 01:36 PM
Grant

I put White OZ multispokes on my old R56 Cooper, they fitted fine, even with the OEM bolts...:thumbs up:

They where only 15s but came balanced and fitted with tyres all for around £600...

Got them from Andy at Autosave in Dundee (ajamesj);)

There should be a pic in the gallery I think...

A.

Ferengo
13th March 2009, 03:59 PM
Nice one Andrew, at least I know there are 15's other than R56s that fit. Am looking to up to 17s though, but the guy who was selling the bullets has ended the auction early, Damn. Ah well, just need to keep an eye out unless anyone has 17s for sale?

Forbes
13th March 2009, 04:37 PM
Could be yours (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Mini-Bullet-alloy-wheels-17-suit-Cooper-JCW_W0QQitemZ180334747289QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car Parts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET?hash=ite m180334747289&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318)

Less than a day left

The Dogfather
13th March 2009, 06:49 PM
I've had the proxies and federals both are OK, however if you after something with awesome grip in the wet then Uniroyal Rainsport 2s are the ones to go for. They'll out perform both the feds and the proxies by a comfortable margin in the wet, which is probably when you need the extra grip.

http://www.alloywheels.com/tyres.asp?width=205&profile=45&size=17

Oh, whatever you do don't do budget tyres. I've had 1 budget tyre on my car for a few days whilst I waited for a replacement following a pothole incident. The car felt like it had no grip whatsoever on the front end. New tyre arrived today and the cars a different beast.

MINI William
13th March 2009, 07:32 PM
There is some bullets for sale on mini2

Ferengo
13th March 2009, 11:49 PM
Could be yours (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Mini-Bullet-alloy-wheels-17-suit-Cooper-JCW_W0QQitemZ180334747289QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car Parts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET?hash=ite m180334747289&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318)

Less than a day left

Saw these but curbed and need new tyres, ones I had seen were mint with loads of tread. Though S spokes would be cool and there's a few around

Ferengo
13th March 2009, 11:51 PM
I've had the proxies and federals both are OK, however if you after something with awesome grip in the wet then Uniroyal Rainsport 2s are the ones to go for. They'll out perform both the feds and the proxies by a comfortable margin in the wet, which is probably when you need the extra grip.

http://www.alloywheels.com/tyres.asp?width=205&profile=45&size=17

Oh, whatever you do don't do budget tyres. I've had 1 budget tyre on my car for a few days whilst I waited for a replacement following a pothole incident. The car felt like it had no grip whatsoever on the front end. New tyre arrived today and the cars a different beast.

I'll keep these in mind. Like you I won't touch budgets. Had some on my old jetta and had a blowout not long after I got them. Never again :frown:.

Ferengo
13th March 2009, 11:57 PM
There is some bullets for sale on mini2

Nice one William. They look pretty good too. My car is getting serviced on monday so if tyre opo up needing replaced, I'll get em if they're still there. Cheers.