PDA

View Full Version : Window Tinting

Ferengo
12th March 2009, 12:49 PM
Ok, I've toying with this idea ever since I got the MINI. My last car came with limo black tinted windows in the back and I loved the look. So I got a quote from Minidesigns and I really am thinking on getting it done, but a few people have put me off by saying "It draws attention to the car as they think you're trying to hide something".

Anyone had any problems from tinting their windows? Has it brought unwanted attention to your car? Do you think it's a good idea?

bazzaric
12th March 2009, 12:55 PM
I'm getting mine done on the 27th in Aberdeen. I always end up having stuff that wont fit in the boot in the back of the car, and I want it to be less obviousl from a distance.

Costing me £100+VAT I think for the three rear windows

Forbes
12th March 2009, 01:08 PM
I think it might draw attention in terms of its different from normal windows, but i don't think people are trying to hide things (in most cases) by getting them done

I'm getting mine done on the 27th in Aberdeen. I always end up having stuff that wont fit in the boot in the back of the car, and I want it to be less obviousl from a distance.

Costing me £100+VAT I think for the three rear windows

:off topic: Where is that?

Ferengo
12th March 2009, 01:20 PM
Mini designs quoted me £110 in jan for the back windows to get done so it works out roughly the same. Comercial sponsor too :thumbs up:.

The next option is what do I go for:
LIGHT SMOKE - 50%
SMOKE - 35%
MIDNIGHT - 20%

I like the idea of midnight but may be too suspect, possibly smoke. Anyone got any pictures of these on their minis?

I'm also think on getting new alloys. So I'd be going from 15" spoolers to 17" S spokes or Bullets. I'm just paranoid about my car as it is parked on a street at night. Really don't wanna do something that's just asking for trouble but again don't wanna not do something I really want.

Forbes
12th March 2009, 01:27 PM
I like the smoke the best and its the one i will/would go for

bazzaric
12th March 2009, 01:40 PM
I think it might draw attention in terms of its different from normal windows, but i don't think people are trying to hide things (in most cases) by getting them done

:off topic: Where is that?

PM'ed

Mini designs quoted me £110 in jan for the back windows to get done so it works out roughly the same. Comercial sponsor too :thumbs up:.

LIGHT SMOKE - 50%
SMOKE - 35%
MIDNIGHT - 20%

I like the idea of midnight but may be too suspect, possibly smoke. Anyone got any pictures of these on their minis?

I'm also think on getting new alloys. So I'd be going from 15" spoolers to 17" S spokes or Bullets. I'm just paranoid about my car as it is parked on a street at night. Really don't wanna do something that's just asking for trouble but again don't wanna not do something I really want.

Just a Shame about the distance!

I like the smoke the best and its the one i will/would go for

Think that's what I will go for too

Burple
12th March 2009, 02:34 PM
Pretty sure Light Smoke is the equivalent to the Mini level of tinting from the factory.. like mine.. :thumbs up:

LIGHT SMOKE - 50%
SMOKE - 35%
MIDNIGHT - 20%

RyanK
12th March 2009, 02:48 PM
Mini is either smoke or midnight, bought the car with them done. Did have the fronts done aswell but got pounded for it :Whistle:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3341/3332081414_8a30775b0c.jpg

Ferengo
12th March 2009, 03:57 PM
Just a Shame about the distance!

Well minidesigns isn't that close, can you PM me the details? Might be worth a compare if nothing else.

Ferengo
12th March 2009, 03:57 PM
Pretty sure Light Smoke is the equivalent to the Mini level of tinting from the factory.. like mine.. :thumbs up:

Didn't think yours was factory tints?

ianking
12th March 2009, 04:00 PM
Here is my previous S. It was done at tinthaus Edinburgh and cost about £160. It was the light tint and pretty close to the factory tint.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/1-1.jpg

Smitty
12th March 2009, 04:11 PM
Could be worth looking into a group-buy for tints - a few seem interested and I am too if they are not much more than £100. :thumbs up:

Pretty sure our sponsors could do us a good deal if there was commitment from a few of us :smilewinkgrin:

Could all take a trip to them on the same day if they had the manpower!

Ferengo
12th March 2009, 04:24 PM
Not a bad idea smitty. How would we go about this? Should I edit the first post to include all interested or start a new thread? I may e-mail them if I get enough interest. So if you are interested then let me know and I'll put your name down on the first post.

I know they don't usually do a sat unless it's the only day you could go and they were ok with it being the only day I could go, but maybe if there were a few of us that would make it better for them coming in on a day they don't usually work?

Burple
12th March 2009, 04:46 PM
Didn't think yours was factory tints?

Yip :D She was born with them! ;):thumbs up: lol :laugh::laugh:

Smitty
12th March 2009, 05:19 PM
Not a bad idea smitty. How would we go about this? Should I edit the first post to include all interested or start a new thread? I may e-mail them if I get enough interest. So if you are interested then let me know and I'll put your name down on the first post.

I know they don't usually do a sat unless it's the only day you could go and they were ok with it being the only day I could go, but maybe if there were a few of us that would make it better for them coming in on a day they don't usually work?

I reckon ask the question to MINI Designs first, then start up a new thread. :yes nod:

Timing could be an issue with me being down South and away from my car - but I'll try and get something arranged to be home at that time, or get parents to take the car.

RyanK
12th March 2009, 06:48 PM
Also try motorwerks in aberdeen, did my dads car with the midnight stuff and it turned out awesome. Hit me up for contact details if interested

Forbes
12th March 2009, 07:14 PM
I am interested, if there was a good deal. It is on my list of to do's but near the bottom at the moment.

Craig
12th March 2009, 08:37 PM
I have midnight tint on my rear windows and from the inside it doesn't look very dark at all... :thumbs up: I think it looks great :yes nod:

as Ryan mentioned - the fronts are already tinted by the manufacturer to the legal max so no tinting them without it being illegal (that's my KenL bit finished ;))

GCA3N
12th March 2009, 08:47 PM
Ok, I've toying with this idea ever since I got the MINI. My last car came with limo black tinted windows in the back and I loved the look. So I got a quote from Minidesigns and I really am thinking on getting it done, but a few people have put me off by saying "It draws attention to the car as they think you're trying to hide something".

Anyone had any problems from tinting their windows? Has it brought unwanted attention to your car? Do you think it's a good idea?

I got the limo tints, for the look and the privacy. I have had no untoward attention, however it really does restrict your veiwing i've had a couple of close ones where i have just not seen something. Would however not take them off, think the car looks much better with them

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/IMG_8734.jpg

RyanK
12th March 2009, 08:57 PM
think the car looks much better with them

Agree. I was worried when I got told to take my fronts off that the car would look like a van, actually prefer it though!

Gismo
13th March 2009, 05:40 AM
Mine has factory tints and i hardly notice them, never had any trouble, i can see inside if i get close enough to the car, so any potential thives would be able to see in too :rolleyes:

zimbo
13th March 2009, 10:55 AM
I had tints on my 1st mini the silver cooper and they looked great. I think tints are a good thing for your car in the long run because,

1) They restrict what people (thieving people that is...) can see in your car.

2) They make the car harder to be broken into.

3) They protect the interior of your car from fadeing due to sunlight etc.

Can't remember right now what the other advantages are, but I say go for it Grant :thumbs up:

Ferengo
13th March 2009, 12:06 PM
I had tints on my 1st mini the silver cooper and they looked great. I think tints are a good thing for your car in the long run because,

1) They restrict what people (thieving people that is...) can see in your car.

2) They make the car harder to be broken into.

3) They protect the interior of your car from fadeing due to sunlight etc.

Can't remember right now what the other advantages are, but I say go for it Grant :thumbs up:

Think I will, just smoke or midnight to decide upon now?