PDA

View Full Version : Car transport - how much?

MartinSullivan
9th March 2009, 11:04 AM
This is probably more addressed to Gismo cause he seems to send his cars away in transporters more than he drives them :p but roughly how much does it cost per mile?

I have found a car down in leeds that Im interested in, but its not the kind of car I would fancy driving all the way back to aberdeen. Roughly how much does it cost?

Any ideas/suggestions of companies to use?

Cheers

Gismo
9th March 2009, 11:15 AM
Well i guess i should answer :Whistle:, best bet, especially if the car is driveable is to pay someone to do it, way cheaper :yes nod:
I was approx £1k for the trip to GTT, but it was such short notice i didn't have any options

Big Gordy
9th March 2009, 11:25 AM
I was approx £1k for the trip

I'll go and get your car Marty for that kinda money:Whistle::thumbs up:

Gismo
9th March 2009, 11:31 AM
I'll go and get your car Marty for that kinda money:Whistle::thumbs up:Exactly :thumbs up: cover all expenses and a nominal fee and simply post up :thumbs up:

MartinSullivan
9th March 2009, 12:10 PM
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb232/deanyboy1985/S3700238.jpg

Well here it is - anyone still intersted in driving it from Leeds to Aberdeen? lol

ianking
9th March 2009, 12:25 PM
Is it a Hilman Imp?

If so whats wrong with driving that. It should manage 60mph all the way up the road.

I remember getting a quote to deliver one of my classic Minis to London and it was about £300.

I picked a car up in Leeds last month and it only took me 3 hours back to Edinburgh sitting at about 75mph so maybe Aberdeen would be about 6 or 7 hours in an Imp.

Gismo
9th March 2009, 12:29 PM
I'm sure i used a company from Falkirk to deliver my classic to Mini Sport, cost around £180

Big Gordy
9th March 2009, 01:39 PM
I can't see the picture on my works PC:ragin: but if it's an Imp then a large container of coolant would be a sound precaution for the journey back up as they were renouned in there day for leaking at the cylinder head:eek: (aluminium engine at the rear + raidiator at the front = overheating:frown:)

MartinSullivan
9th March 2009, 01:49 PM
Yes its an imp, and it has a larger rad fitted already ;)

Its more a matter of having the time to go and get it that is the issue. 180 quid sounds pretty reasonable, will bear it in mind when I negotiate the final price.

If anyone knows of an imp nearer to "home" then I would be interested.

Would love a look round this guys (http://popularclassics.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=6716[/COLOR]) collection believed to be somewhere in Glasgow (and yes Ive looked up the number on the back of the van :computer:)

Big Gordy
9th March 2009, 01:51 PM
I've logged onto another PC and can now see the pics:thumbs up:
That's cooooooooooooooooool Marty although I'd rip that front air dam off if I were you.....it looks awful:ragin:Love the torpedo wing mirrors....although I doupt you'll see much behind you in them with them mounted that far away:rolleyes:

Big Gordy
9th March 2009, 01:54 PM
My dad had a Singer Chamoir when I was a nipper and it went like stink (for its day) was quite a revvy (7000rpm) little motor as I remember:thumbs up:

Scottie
9th March 2009, 04:15 PM
We had an imp back in 1979 ex cop car. The one in your
Pics looks cracking

Burple
9th March 2009, 05:28 PM
Tasty looking Imp!! did it used to be white? ;)
If you get stuck finding someone to go down, I could most likely manage it. Got plenty of holidays to take :thumbs up::cool:

Burple
9th March 2009, 05:35 PM
Would love a look round this guys (http://popularclassics.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=6716%5B/COLOR%5D) collection believed to be somewhere in Glasgow (and yes Ive looked up the number on the back of the van :computer:)

Holy crap!!! That's a very healthy collection of Imps and assorted models!
..And the race prepped ones!
a couple of tidy looking minis in there too!

:thumbs up::thumbs up::cool::cool:

Hamish
9th March 2009, 05:48 PM
man i'm jealous... i'd love an Imp. My Dad used to race one back in the day, think he was handy in it... although he reckons he put too wide a tyre on it. I found an old black and white pic of him taking a corner and he has the thing flexing so much its on 2 wheels!!!

MartinSullivan
10th March 2009, 06:52 PM
Tasty looking Imp!! did it used to be white? ;)

In a previous incarnation it was red and white and I suspect originally it was blue. Its had a full strip down and respray in the last two years

MartinSullivan
10th March 2009, 06:53 PM
Holy crap!!! That's a very healthy collection of Imps and assorted models!
..And the race prepped ones!
a couple of tidy looking minis in there too!

:thumbs up::thumbs up::cool::cool:

Yeah would love to have a good wander round and see what else is stashed away