PDA

View Full Version : Xenon Conversion

Smitty
8th March 2009, 10:45 PM
If I managed to source a set of Xenon headlights (new or used) how easy would it be to do the conversion?

I've currently got the old style headlights, and want to upgrade to at least the facelift models, or ideally Xenons.

Is this a simple swap, or would it require re-wiring and coding?

RyanK
8th March 2009, 11:23 PM
You would need them re-coded as they will flicker on and off when turned on. Pretty sure you will also need the headlamp washer retro fit kit & levellers in the suspension that automatically adjust the headlamps when going uphill/downhill etc etc. They are not called levellers im just making that bit up lol.:argh:

I've got 1 facelift xenon. Initially bought it to see if I could transfer the halogen unit and wiring from my pre facelifts to the facelift xenon ones. I aint tried it yet but pretty sure it could be done, just dont think theres point in me doing it as im wanting rid of the car.

illegalhunter
9th March 2009, 12:36 AM
there is a how 2 on mini2

Smitty
10th March 2009, 01:06 AM
Hmmm interesting.

I'll have a dig around MINI2 and see if I can source that guide and find out exactly what is involved and the costs. :yes nod:

What about just upgrading headlamp unit - either to an aftermarket set or just a face lifted set? Would this require coding?

illegalhunter
10th March 2009, 09:05 PM
I fitted xenon ballasts to my R , there illegal but great

KenL
10th March 2009, 10:59 PM
I fitted xenon ballasts to my R , there illegal but great

...and possibly a total pita to other road users :frown:

The Dogfather
10th March 2009, 11:16 PM
Always wondered why Xenons are available on the EX but not on the Type R

Smitty
11th March 2009, 12:25 AM
...and possibly a total pita to other road users :frown:

Trust Ken to come in and question all illegal activity :p :hand: ;)

Don't, I know I have the "slightly" dubious angel eyes fitted, but I wont be fitting Xenons unless the are 100% legit.

Forbes
11th March 2009, 01:16 AM
I kind of looked into it, but unless you do as Ryan said fit the washers and i will go with ballasts, "levellers" they will be illegal, thats why i didn't bother because of the hassle. If you are not fussed about having the Xenon but more the look of the light what about the ones Craig has but the chrome version?

Smitty
11th March 2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah - I've looked at Craigs and I do like them, but was trying to go for a cheaper alternative.

Craig - do your headlights also have the "angel" eye style sidelight built in?

Considering the facelifted light option, and taking the baking in the oven and spraying the inside approach like Zimbo did :smilewinkgrin:

Want to get rid of all Chrome from the car....so black surrounds and black lights would look good I reckon :Whistle:

Forbes
12th March 2009, 12:46 AM
Unless you are really lucky with finding a set of Xenons they are really expensive, especially facelift ones. I am also trying to find the facelift halogens, but with little sucess for my tiny budget

Craig
12th March 2009, 08:13 PM
Hi Smitty,

yes mine do have the halo side light built into the lamp and with a set of osram nightbreaker bulbs in, they work great. :thumbs up:

HOWEVER, my first set let in water and were replaced by Mikey without question. I now have another problem with them, being the chrome surrounds that are pitting so they are going back again.

I would say if you do buy them, be aware that the quality of them doesn't appear to be the best, however I must say that Mikey has looked after me very well. :yes nod::yes nod::thumbs up:

Smitty
12th March 2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the advice Craig - I guess that's the gamble we take with aftermarket products :sad:

In terms of "vision" - do they match up to the normal units?

I really like the inner angel eye - but also like the idea of taking the facelifted versions apart and painting the insides.:confused:

T5LLC
12th March 2009, 11:43 PM
Yeah you should defenetly get xenons, i love mines. Its so weird driving a car with out them!

Craig
13th March 2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the advice Craig - I guess that's the gamble we take with aftermarket products :sad:

In terms of "vision" - do they match up to the normal units?

I really like the inner angel eye - but also like the idea of taking the facelifted versions apart and painting the insides.:confused:

as for vision. the quality of light is better... :thumbs up: