PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Problems

Craig
23rd April 2004, 01:36 AM
AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Not a happy man at the moment, just back from Menzies re problem with the gearbox on the MINI. It has been in 3 times re problems selecting gears (more notably 1st and reverse) and the guy from BMW UK has been out today, took it for a 20 min drive and said..........NO FAULT FOUND!!!

To me, it's as if the syncromesh is not working properly or the clutch has a problem. Has anybody else had this problem?? Did you get it fixed and did you have a fight?

I have contacted MINI Customer Services and they have said that they would not go against what the engineer has said and that there is nothing more we can do. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know as we are at the point now where we may just have to sell.:(Because the gearbox is so notchy in all the gears, you come home after a run and you are knackered.

A very p*ssed off.........Craig

KenL
23rd April 2004, 04:04 AM
I have in all the cars I've owned had occasional difficulty getting into reverse or first. Re-dipping the clutch is all it takes to go in easily.

I've not had a notchy gearchange problems though. Have you driven another MINI to compare it to yours?

Craig
23rd April 2004, 03:33 PM
Yeah Ken, my sister has a MINI Cooper only 4 months newer and the gearchange on that car is very smooth and very easy to change gear, this is why I have brought it up with them. Double de-clutching does allow you to select a gear, but this was only ever needed in my 1966 mini which had no syncromesh. I have to write to a regional manager for scotland to see if they are going to do any more about it, but from what the guy at customer services said yesterday, I'm not getting my hopes up..:(:(

Wul
23rd April 2004, 04:06 PM
Craig - my cooper had started having a few gearbox probs before i got rid of it! Mainly it jumping out of first gear very occasionally and leaving me scared it would happen when trying to get out a busy junction :eek: But like your car, it never happened when in service! Can't offer you any more advice other than to list the dates and times it has happened and number of visits to services etc then keep writing to MINI(UK) till they get fed up with you and come up wiht a solution. Perseverence is what it takes i'm afraid.

BTW you should try getting into Reverse on the MCS - now that is a nightmare compared to the coop! the number of times i've selected sixth gear when trying to reverse into a space! :I

mgemie
23rd April 2004, 06:21 PM
I've just started experiencing the same problems with my Jan04 build One. It only seems to 'lock' in reverse and 1st occasionally - i've managed to change gears with double cutching but i'm thinking of taking my One in for a check at the dealer.

Big Col
28th July 2004, 05:25 PM
Has anyone had this problem sorted 'cos I'm having problems getting into first and reverse now and it's Pure doin' mah melt in man!!!!!!!

mgemie
28th July 2004, 11:42 PM
I'm now running on my second gearbox after having the original replaced due to damaged synchromesh. Strange since my MINI is a Jan'04 build...

Craig
29th July 2004, 03:12 AM
I haven't pursued it any further at the moment as the gearbox seems to be behaving a little better, but I still have problems with 1st and reverse occasionally, but as I only drive it occasionally (it is the "wifes" car) then I should probably have another go at them. I did think about getting an independant to look at the problem, but this would probably invalidate the warranty....:(

X30YES
29th July 2004, 05:13 AM
Did have trouble with my first Mini (51) jumping out of gear sticking in gear etc .....it might be the clip that holds the clutch cable to the gear box ( was on my car )..open the bunnet and search for the gear linkage ..baware very hot down there ...and reattach the clip thingy , and takes longer to find it than fix it ... It was replaced by Parks and NP after that ...as the plastic clip was not strong enough and opened when engaging gear etc ...other than that sorry...........ps It was a quiet recall in the early days !!!!!!;)

mgemie
29th July 2004, 07:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

I haven't pursued it any further at the moment as the gearbox seems to be behaving a little better, but I still have problems with 1st and reverse occasionally, but as I only drive it occasionally (it is the "wifes" car) then I should probably have another go at them. I did think about getting an independant to look at the problem, but this would probably invalidate the warranty....:(

my gearbox only played up occasionally but when it did , it happenned BIG STYLE!!:D

sleepyrascal
2nd August 2004, 07:33 AM
I have a 2002 coop and have problems with 2nd and reverse. Reverse more. I find that when selecting reverse, a tiny rev will notch it in fine, or roll the car forward or back a few inches! The second gear problem is only when the car is being made to work hard and shifting from 3 to 2 is untidy.