PDA

View Full Version : Remember the day.... sponsored by werther's original

AndyP & Lenore
3rd March 2009, 02:03 PM
Been looking at flights here, there and everywhere trying to find somewhere to go for our week off in May.

Suddenly I remembered a few years ago, I think it was Hoover ran a promotion, where if you bought a Hoover Vacuum from them they gave you a free flight to the USA.:eek:

How things (prices) have changed.

Anyone else got any "I remember when..." stories?

A.

Burple
3rd March 2009, 02:44 PM
I remember when...

...this was all fields...

*crickets* :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

john
3rd March 2009, 03:01 PM
I remember when Gismo had a standard car:thumbs up:

Forbes
3rd March 2009, 03:09 PM
The day Princess Diana died and i got bored of watching all the stuff on tv and went out on my bike, fell over and still have the scar

AndyP & Lenore
3rd March 2009, 03:11 PM
I remember when...

I used to be able to look down and still see my FEET

A.:laugh:

MartinSullivan
3rd March 2009, 03:36 PM
I remember when Gismo had a standard car:thumbs up:

And said he wasnt doing mods to it, even the MTH map was only to fix his stumble problem (not the one he has when he has too much to drink)

john
3rd March 2009, 04:03 PM
The first ever new mini run in Scotland:thumbs up: 5 minis attended:rolleyes:

Where are they all now?

Crombers
3rd March 2009, 04:46 PM
The first ever new mini run in Scotland:thumbs up: 5 minis attended:rolleyes:

Where are they all now?

Who were the 'original' 5 ?

Crombers
3rd March 2009, 04:48 PM
I remember exactly where I was when ...........

Mo Joh...... 'Judas', signed for Rangers :eek:

Burple
3rd March 2009, 05:23 PM
The first Cullen run (that myself and Zimbo came on as our first ever run)..

totally hooked after that!! Shame we hadn't bothered about staying for the :beer::beer::beer: later!! haha

Scottie
3rd March 2009, 06:51 PM
I remember when we got our first colour TV (and in those days it was the done thing to rent your TV) anyway watching Top of the Pops in colour was :cool::thumbs up:.

Anyone remember when you went shopping you paid they put the money in a small tube it went shooting on a line up to the cash office and they put your change in it and it came shooting back down to the sales girl to give to you.

I remember when Mogil Motors was in the Drip Road Stirling and the Duncans Lemonade factory and I used to work behind those in an Oil Depot which is now Sainsburys car park.

camjay
3rd March 2009, 07:19 PM
My first concert. When I was a black wearing, depressive teenager, I went to see The Smiths at the Caird Hall in Dundee - 1985! Ah those were the days!!!:yes nod::thumbs up:

john
3rd March 2009, 09:19 PM
Who were the 'original' 5 ?

There was myself and Moonshine, Fontel from Shetland (I think)

Trixie01 and M1NYL:thumbs up:

Brian was there too but in my car as he was not converted from his classic until that point:D

mini saltire
4th March 2009, 11:02 AM
I remember when we got a new big TV for the Kitchen... Turned out to be a Microwave!! Still rememebr the dissapointment followed by the amazment of baked potatoes in 10 mins:thud::laugh:

mini saltire
4th March 2009, 11:04 AM
I remember when we got our first colour TV (and in those days it was the done thing to rent your TV) anyway watching Top of the Pops in colour was :cool::thumbs up:.

Anyone remember when you went shopping you paid they put the money in a small tube it went shooting on a line up to the cash office and they put your change in it and it came shooting back down to the sales girl to give to you.

I remember when Mogil Motors was in the Drip Road Stirling and the Duncans Lemonade factory and I used to work behind those in an Oil Depot which is now Sainsburys car park.

Did you also used to work down 'tit Mines??
Looking good for 120 years old Fiona :moonie::p:laugh:

Stewart
4th March 2009, 11:41 AM
Love the original five idea – what is this the New Battlestar Galactica with there original 5’s. I was actually up at my primary School as its getting Demolished and finding myself standing with a really sad feeling and remembering running riot around the place when I was a kid.

I remember a blistering summer’s day up at Connel near Oban sitting on a yacht that was out the water reading about Rangers Signing Gazza………Fantastic.:thumbs up:

The way making soda stream drinks when I was young seemed exciting with witches brew etc……..

Sitting in front of a BBC model B playing Elite thinking that computing cant get any better then this…….

Thinking nostalgia was not what it used to be.

john
4th March 2009, 12:06 PM
I used to like jumping on/off the moving bus before the started all this doors nonsence and the clippie (conductor) used to stamp a time card at the terminus.:yes nod:

mini saltire
4th March 2009, 04:07 PM
My Dad remembers when Motor Racing was Dangerous and Sex was safe.... but he is really old!!:laugh::laugh:

GCA3N
4th March 2009, 04:26 PM
I remember when rangers beating celtic was a dead cert, those days are coming back...:smilewinkgrin:.:hand:

Livi
4th March 2009, 04:27 PM
I remeber:

Milky way was dark chocolate inside instead of white!

and test card 4? from the bbc with the girl and the blackboard with the puppet? and that droaning

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

get my drift?

Crombers
4th March 2009, 05:27 PM
I remember when rangers beating celtic was a dead cert, those days are coming back...:smilewinkgrin:.:hand:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: & soon to be :laugh:

Crombers
4th March 2009, 05:29 PM
I remember a blistering summer’s day up at Connel near Oban sitting on a yacht that was out the water reading about Rangers Signing Gazza………Fantastic.:thumbs up:

:eek: brilliant eh!! :rolleyes:

Stewart
4th March 2009, 06:29 PM
:eek: brilliant eh!! :rolleyes:

Probably the highest profile player to grace our game, he simply was a class act at his best, the kind of player who could pass it out the Gers box and run up the park and score a killer goal with Celtic looking plumbs…….Remember when the Old firm had class players its been a while.:frown:

I also remember the taste of the Milkyways changing....:ragin:

Crombers
4th March 2009, 07:03 PM
Probably the highest profile player to grace our game

I reckon Henke7 notched that one long before he departed :yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
4th March 2009, 08:34 PM
Sitting in front of a BBC model B playing Elite thinking that computing cant get any better then this…….

Aw man! Just look at those graphics!:lol:

Me and my brother Ian used to stay up until dawn playing Elite on the C64.:D

A.:D

GCA3N
4th March 2009, 09:00 PM
your showing your age, but elite was ace:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
4th March 2009, 09:03 PM
your showing your age, but elite was ace:thumbs up:

Both statements extremely true.:blush:

Ferengo
4th March 2009, 10:19 PM
I remember when Smith and Jones did the Wispa ads on TV, Transformers were all the rage and spitting image :thumbs up:.

I may not remember Elite for the C64 but I remember Jet Set Willy for the Spectrum

john
4th March 2009, 11:40 PM
I remember when people used mobile phone for talking to people:rolleyes:

Scottie
4th March 2009, 11:44 PM
Did you also used to work down 'tit Mines??
Looking good for 120 years old Fiona :moonie::p:laugh:

you remember them also then:moonie::thud::p

Stewart
4th March 2009, 11:55 PM
I remember when people used mobile phone for talking to people:rolleyes:

I remember when it was only my one friend out of many that had a mobile phone, and he was the original yuppie and it looked like a brick….now seven year olds have them.

I thought the wee girl up the street was playing with a toy fake one till she took a call on it…felt sad for my mates wee girl as her dad was laughing, “Bloody seven and she wants a mobile with a contract”

I knew I was old when I got that look from my God son, you know, the embarrassing pity look”:rolleyes: when I was playing that Lego Starwars and he’s only six……

Anyone know "The Buck Rogers Bar and The Buck Rogers Cafe" ... the restaurant was renamed simply Buck's Burger Bar. Located at 25-37 Queen Street. its now Archaos.... I'd love to find some pic's.............

indigomatt
5th March 2009, 09:32 AM
Hello everyone & Sav112

Buck Rodger burger bar.....never heard of it.....moved to Glasgow too late, but it does look fantastic :D :D :D

More info here http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=154 (http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=154) & photo's that i cant seem to put up :argh: .....

some quotes;

Didn't they give away loyalty tokens in the form of alien currency?

I do remember being told about a big scandal at Buck Rogers Burger Bar.
I remember it because it was the first time I ever heard about computer fraud as something I could relate to.
(it takes a bit of explaining)

Buck Rogers Burger Station had this unique system of being 'met' at the top of the stairs by a hostess.
She handed the patron a menu card (and a pencil I seem to remember).
The patron took a table and ticked off what they wanted - gave the menu to a waitress.
The waitress went over to a computer and typed in the order.
A receipt was generated and a copy was sent to the kitchen.
(I remember this as my mate who worked there was well impressed).

Anyway...
The Manager (*libelous accusation alert*) re-programmed the menu computer.
So when a £2 burger and chips was ordered - (it was a while ago) - only a 25p coke was recorded in the computer.
The customer got a burger and the business got 25p
He kept the difference.
Did this for one meal in 5

The fraud went into several thousand I seem to recall.

Eventually he was found out and sacked.
It was hushed up to avoid bad publicity - but the place closed a few months later.

The managers fraud was probably why the place went out of business.

http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/500/brbb0.jpg]http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/500/thumbs/brbb0.jpg

http://www.mini2.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/62102/ppuser/25856

Stewart
5th March 2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah I’m a fan of the Hidden Glasgow site and that’s what I found pity, the picturesare no longer there………..I was there as a kid for a birthday…….but surprisingly its my friends that seem to have obsession with it…..and we were only there the once.

AndyP & Lenore
5th March 2009, 11:53 AM
I remember when packets of crisps where as big as your hand, and were alomst a meal in their own right.:yes nod:

A.

indigomatt
5th March 2009, 11:55 AM
Yeah I’m a fan of the Hidden Glasgow site and that’s what I found pity, the picturesare no longer there………..I was there as a kid for a birthday…….but surprisingly its my friends that seem to have obsession with it…..and we were only there the once.

There are some of the robert dancers on page 4 :p.....

Gismo
5th March 2009, 11:58 AM
Ooh, sixpenny lucky bags and penny dainties :blush:

john
5th March 2009, 12:01 PM
I remember when Michael Jackson was Black and Des O'Connor was White:D

Stewart
5th March 2009, 12:13 PM
I remember when Films built sets, and used models that had more substance to them rather than this CGI guff………pointing the finger at those poor later Star wars films….its the originals all the way…..give me that graininess anyday.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/130/009_422-045_b~Star-Wars-Posters.jpg

Gismo
5th March 2009, 12:18 PM
Space Invaders & Asteroids etc :thumbs up:
Or if you really go far back, the ping pong game :blush:

Ferengo
5th March 2009, 02:25 PM
Space Invaders & Asteroids etc :thumbs up:

I have pong machine under my desk at work from the 70's.

I remember when they used to allow Tom & Jerrry on the TV.

Crombers
5th March 2009, 04:45 PM
Buck Rodger burger bar.....never heard of it.....moved to Glasgow too late, but it does look fantastic :D :D :D

I was in there once. Never went back, Wimpy Quarter Pounders won every time :thumbs up:

Scottie
5th March 2009, 08:18 PM
I remember the day when it was ok to say you were going to nip out to the paki shop.

sedgie
5th March 2009, 09:15 PM
I remember the day when it was ok to say you were going to nip out to the paki shop.

And yer are going for a Chinkie!.....and haeing a "gollywog" as a toy!:yes nod:

camjay
5th March 2009, 09:30 PM
TV programmes - late 70's early 80's. Runaround. Cheggers Plays Pop. Magpie. The Tomorrow People. Does anyone remember The Singing Ringing Tree. It was German children's programme, dubbed for British TV. It was the weirdest, scariest thing......freaky!! My husband thinks I was on drugs at the time because he can't remember it - it was really weird!! Definately showing my age. Oh and another thing, I remember rented TV's with a coinbox on the back that you put money into! (We didn't have this, we were posh)! ;)

camjay
5th March 2009, 09:41 PM

I got this for my birthday when it came out (it was my main, big present too) and thought it was great. I remember my mum, dad, granny etc all marvelling about it and the neighbourhood kids coming in for a shot!!:laugh:

Scottie
5th March 2009, 09:49 PM
And yer are going for a Chinkie!.....and haeing a "gollywog" as a toy!:yes nod:

exactly :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
5th March 2009, 10:10 PM
And yer are going for a Chinkie!.....

Aye, and a Chippie...

Oh. Wait... That's still OK.:blush:

Livi
5th March 2009, 10:19 PM
i rememeber when you were actually a kid (or younger) you never gave a crap about anything

Everything is just health and safety and well-being now :rolleyes:

Craig
5th March 2009, 11:05 PM
I remember when they withdrew the half penny and you could only get penny chews... :rolleyes:;)

also getting 20p mixups was a treat... :laugh:

Craig
5th March 2009, 11:06 PM
also when "marathons" where just that and not sodding knickers... oh sorry Snickers :rolleyes::argh:

MINI William
5th March 2009, 11:52 PM
This thread should be sponsored by Wearthers Origanal :D

AndyP & Lenore
5th March 2009, 11:59 PM
This thread should be sponsored by Wearthers Origanal :D

PMSL.

A.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
6th March 2009, 12:17 AM
I remember when Films built sets, and used models that had more substance to them rather than this CGI guff………pointing the finger at those poor later Star wars films….its the originals all the way…..give me that graininess anyday.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/130/009_422-045_b~Star-Wars-Posters.jpg

Those poor later Star Wars films don't exist. I don't know what you're talking of. They were never made. We never saw them. Just like the second and third Matrix films don't exist.:shut up::shut up:

A.:frown:

Scottie
6th March 2009, 12:36 AM
I remember when I could fill my mini for £5.

Driving lessons were £3.

My pay was £30 a week and I still had £10 left the day before my next pay.

ny152
6th March 2009, 11:37 PM
I remember Glen Michaels Cavalcade and then Dukes of Hazzard on Sunday afternoon tv.

I also remember Goldbergs and Style Cards :D

audrey
6th March 2009, 11:56 PM
I remember Why Dont You was always on in the school holidays

Also remember Swap shop on Saturday mornings:thumbs up:Noel Edmunds would say "I can see you all sitting there in your pyjamas" we always believed him and would run to hide behind the sofa :blush:

Stewart
7th March 2009, 03:14 PM
Those poor later Star Wars films don't exist. I don't know what you're talking of. They were never made. We never saw them. Just like the second and third Matrix films don't exist.:shut up::shut up:

A.:frown:

And that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) I actually was insulted by it, that they would add such a half arsed attempt. Remember Indy for the trilogy and blank that fourth one………

Swap shop on Saturday mornings how many hours spent glued to the TV...........how about the Adventure Game???????

Ivano
7th March 2009, 07:00 PM
I remember when you could travel on the Underground system in Glasgow for 20p... :thumbs up:

and watching Fraggle Rock TV Show on Sunday afternoons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7TTk_0XYn4

Stewart
9th March 2009, 12:04 PM
Fraggle Rock TV Show thats still on.

Ch dig 616pop Fraggle Rock 9pm:thumbs up: tonight.........

Thing is it was always better when you were a kid a bit like me and Airwolf now...I'm seeing how silly the stroyline is now.

ianking
9th March 2009, 12:33 PM
I remember the countdown to the new MINI comming out.

I used to drive past Easterns window almost everyday when I was grabbing some lunch in between uni lectures. They were bulding a wee 3 car showroom section in part of the BMW showroom. When it started to take shape there were big countdown numbers in the window until launch day. 40 days 39 days 38 days etc.
I couldnt wait.
Finally a couple days after the covers were off I went into see them. I knew I had to have one, even more so when my neighbour picked hers up and gave me a wee shot in it. 1 year later and many more shifts at my part time job I got one.

Then I remember the countdown to the R56 and checking the net on a weekly basis for more sneaky spy pics. It wasnt as exciting as the R50 launch but was still pretty good.